Pastrami

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

DesertRat
Pilgrim

Pastrami

Postby DesertRat » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:12 am

So, since I had a free rack on the ProQ's maiden voyage this weekend, I decided to try pastrami after reading some of your threads on here about using corned beef. Since I had some in the freezer, I figured what the heck?

Soaked it in water overnight. Changed water a couple of times. Hit it heavy in the morning with black pepper and coriander, threw it on the top rack.

So, since I was using 3-2-1 on the ribs, this thing sat in there about 6 hours at around 225. I can't remember how much it weighed - maybe 3 pounds or so? So as the ribs were finishing, the internal temp on the corned beef had only gotten up to 165. Not wanting to add more fuel, I figured that was close enough. Pulled it, wrapped in tinfoil and let it cool completely. I think maybe I should have let it keep going. End result, looks good, tastes great, not very tender. Sliced it as thin as I could by hand. It really tastes awesome, but just not as tender as I would have liked. Should I have let it keep going? I think it had plateau'd and its hard to say how much longer it would have had to be in there, to get to 185-195.

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Re: Pastrami

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:36 am

I haven't had much luck taking a commercial corned beef and turning it into Pastrami. I've read where guys have soaked for them 3 days and ended up with OK results. My gut tells me you have a let it get to 190° or better for a more tender product.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:03 am

It looks good. I haven't tried the corned beef yet. But have made my own several times. Its good stuff. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:34 am

I smoke packaged corned beef's often. I usually soak them for at least 24 hours then coat them with large cracked pepper and smoke. Once it's done I do slice it wafer thin then steam it in a rice steamer. Makes it very tender

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”