Looking for help sausage in competitions

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

highway smoker USER_AVATAR
Highway Smoker
Pilgrim

Looking for help sausage in competitions

Postby Highway Smoker » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:50 pm

Never have smoked sausage in competitions looking for pointers on what is the way to do this .
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Re: Looking for help sausage in competitions

Postby SteerCrazy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:45 am

Highway Smoker,
some people make their own sausages and enter those, some guys buy specialty sausages from a butcher and enter those as their own. I've seen some teams use ground sausage, jimmy dean like and stuff them with peppers or cheese (kinda like a fatty). I will say don't go fancy, make it simple. We entered our homemade chicken, feta and spinach sausage which is extremely popular with friends and family, competition judges didn't like it.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:35 pm

SteerCrazy wrote:Highway Smoker,
some people make their own sausages and enter those, some guys buy specialty sausages from a butcher and enter those as their own. I've seen some teams use ground sausage, jimmy dean like and stuff them with peppers or cheese (kinda like a fatty). I will say don't go fancy, make it simple. We entered our homemade chicken, feta and spinach sausage which is extremely popular with friends and family, competition judges didn't like it.

I feel for you. I really like Feta, and due mostly to the Mrs I've learned to like, I mean really like spinach. But most folks I know look at Feta as some kind of foreign food and spinach, well that's a pop-eye cartoon deal. Like grandpa said "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink". Guess that might be a good thing cause if everyone got crazy about the stuff it would be twice as expensive.

The comps around here have meat inspections when you show up. Home made sausage would flunk as they are looking for the USDA stamp of approval. Guess you could show them the receipts or grind on site... problematic at best. Hence, no sausage category for Colorado comps.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:51 pm

It's been a while since we comped cooked but our team won a couple of times using some sausage from Green's sausage, outside of Temple. We slow smoked smokesd jalapeno cheese sausge. Try not to use a sausage with tough casings, it is a bit of a turn off for some judges. Good luck.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
highway smoker USER_AVATAR
Highway Smoker
Pilgrim

Postby Highway Smoker » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:04 pm

Thanks everyone think I'll use some roadkill deer and boneless pork butt and spice it up . What you think the Seattle Boys think of that .
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:58 am

Well HS one of these days soon I plan to host a sausage fest here and because of this thread I'll do a quick and easy sausage that can be done on site at a comp. In the unlikely event that you are not in Oak Point Texas that weekend we'll get someone to take pictures and post them. It will be a skinless summer type sausage that should present well.
tarde venientibus ossa....
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:59 am

Papa Tom wrote:Well HS one of these days soon I plan to host a sausage fest here and because of this thread I'll do a quick and easy sausage that can be done on site at a comp. In the unlikely event that you are not in Oak Point Texas that weekend we'll get someone to take pictures and post them. It will be a skinless summer type sausage that should present well.

I would be interested in seeing that PT :)

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”