Ping Papa Tom - Corned Beef Cure?

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Ping Papa Tom - Corned Beef Cure?

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:43 pm

St Patties is rapidly approaching and instead of buying the pre-cured points and flats from the box stores I'm thinking about making my own. Do you have a cure recipe you'd be willing to part with here for the masses?
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
jmcrig USER_AVATAR
jmcrig
Bandolero

Re: Ping Papa Tom - Corned Beef Cure?

Postby jmcrig » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:52 pm

Here's one I got off the internet;

Create corned beef brine if you want to turn a slab of beef brisket into the best cut of corned beef
you’ve ever tried. If you are looking for a great way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day or just hankering
for a slice of corned beef and cabbage (with a dab of horseradish, of course), you can make your
own delicious corned beef by using this brine recipe.
Both the English and Irish have been corning beef (brining beef) for centuries. Salt kernels used to
look a lot like corn kernels, hence the name “corned beef." This technique is used to transform a
tough piece of beef into a melt-in-your-mouth delicacy we now associate with the celebration of St.
Patrick’s Day and everything Irish.
A basic brining recipe is salt and water, but you’ll want to add some additional spices to make a truly
delicious corned beef. Give yourself plenty of time to prepare this meal—traditionally the beef
brisket sits in the brine between one and two weeks before it’s cooked.
You will always want to brine your brisket in the refrigerator at a temperature of 40 degrees
Fahrenheit or lower (use bags of ice to keep temperature low if needed) so you do not risk the
growth of bacteria. To brine your brisket, invest in a large pot and move the shelves of your
refrigerator such that you can place the pot of meat and brining solution in the refrigerator until you
are ready to drain and cook it.
Corned Beef Brine Recipe
Ingredients You Will Need:
6 cups cold water
¼ cup salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cloves
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon brown sugar
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon paprika
4 teaspoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon saltpeter dissolved in ½ cup warm water
Combine the ingredients listed above and pour over the brisket. Turn the brisket once a day as it
sits in the refrigerator for between one and two weeks. Drain brisket. Simmer in pot full of water for
one hour, then discard the water. Refill pot with water and cook for another three hours. Serve with
horseradish sauce.
Making Corned Beef Brine - Life123 Page 1 of 1
http://www.life123.com/food/cooking-tip ... corned-b... 3/1/2010
Mark Crigler
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:08 pm

Sure thing DATS:

PT's Corned Beef

5 lb Brisket well trimmed
2 qt Water (If you don't have really good water use bottled)
2 T cure #1
1 T Tender Quick (if you don't have it just skip it)
¼ C non iodized salt
¼ C Sugar (brown or white I use brown)
¼ C crushed garlic
2 T Pickling spice
2.5 gal zip lock bag and pan or bowl to set it in.

Final trim and rinse brisket.
Mix next 5 ingredients together well and chill (you can put ice into the water to speed things up but don't go over 2 qts)
If you want to inject do it now pump as much bring into the brisket as it will hold. If no next step.
Mix the garlic and spice into the brine.
Place the brisket into the bag in the container, pour the brine over the meat zip closed expelling as much air as possible.
Place in a refrigerator that stays as close to 38°F as possible turning in the bag at least once a day to insure coverage of the cure. Do this for:
3 days if injected.
10 days if not injected (no matter what I like to go 10 days to get the extra flavor).
Cook and enjoy!!

Pastrami:
After curing rinse off and let dry to just moist so rub will stick.
Rub:
2 T Fresh course ground black pepper (course NOT cracked)
3 T Course ground coriander
1 t Powdered garlic.

Rub the brisket down and let it set out for an hour or so. Put in smoker at 220° and cook to 155° internal. Let cool and it is ready to slice......almost. It will be tough so if you slice it paper thin OK otherwise you have to steam it 4-6 hrs. You can use a pot with perforated insert to steam or a metal colander over your soup pot with lid. Once steamed and cooled it will be tender and tasty.
tarde venientibus ossa....
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:04 am

Thanks Papa. I'm trying convince a bud to host a party (location) and I'll provide the food. Might have to do a double batch, its up in the air right now.

jmcrig thanks for responding to this thread. I like most of those ingredients but Salt Peter is hard to find. If you can find it is pretty hard to control if you're not make hundreds of pounds of product.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
jmcrig USER_AVATAR
jmcrig
Bandolero

Postby jmcrig » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:58 am

When I have a recipe that calls for salt peter, I substitute #1 cure.
Mark Crigler
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:48 pm

If Pickling Spice = black pepper, ginger, cloves, bay leaves and nutmeg then they are pretty close to each other.
Deputy Dave

papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:38 pm

Mustard seed, coriander seed, dill seed, bay leaves, allspice, red chiles.
tarde venientibus ossa....

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”