Grinding Chili Meat

Anything, everything and all things chili. Cowboys like chili!

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Grinding Chili Meat

Postby tex_toby » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:30 pm

I thought I would put my new meat grinder to work this weekend and grind my own chili meat for a backyard cook-off this coming Saturday. I'm not sure why, but our local grocers that sell coarse ground chili meat charge an arm and a leg for it. Seems like it should be the same price as regular ground hamburger meat since it just went through a different grinding plate. That's a whole different story though.... :roll: :lol:

I had a whole packer brisket and also some pork butt. Just eyeballing the brisket, I figured it would be close to an 80/20 mix. I didn't trim the brisket at all and just cut into cubes small enough to go into the grinder. Once it was ground, it appeared to be more of a 70/30 mix. Now I am worried about having greasy chili. I always brown my chili meat in a cast iron skillet and drain the fat before I add it to the chili pot, but I am still a bit concerned. I did grind up enough to do a test run at home this week, but I am just not sure what to expect. Have any of you ever ground up a packer brisket for chili meat? I am thinking that if it doesn't make a very good pot of chili that it should make some darn fine hamburgers. Oh, and the ground pork butt came out looking fine. I always add a bit of it to the mix as well.

tex 8)
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Re: Grinding Chili Meat

Postby JamesB » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:56 pm

I grind a lot of briskets into burger and have done chili grind in the past. They do come out about 70/30 normally... I also always double grind my burger grind through the same plate. For the chili grind, if your browning and then draining the fat, you should not have a greasy chili problem.
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: Grinding Chili Meat

Postby BluDawg » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:07 pm

Toby if you want to get it even leaner after draining the grease give the DO a quick wipe with a paper towel. Rinse the meat in a colander suspended over a bowl with the veg sprayer, that way you catch all the runoff. Pour all the liquid into a fat separator then add it back to the pot. this leans it up and retains the flavor.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB

Return to “Chili Heads”