Crockpot Chili

Anything, everything and all things chili. Cowboys like chili!

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Crockpot Chili

Postby nascarchuck » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:04 am

I have tried chili in thge crockpot once and it didn't turn out well. It dried out on me. I wanna try it again.

Should I do anything differently with it being cooked in the crockpot vs the stove?

My crockpot has 3 settings, High, Low and Warm. High seems to be fairly hot. I assume that I should cook the chili on low, huh?

How long should the chili cook? Is this a short cook of say 3 or 4 hours or a long cook of maybe 9 or 10 hours?

Trying to come up with a few crockpot meals that I can make for my first night back to work instead of eating out. I'm too tired and not enough time to stand over a stove my first night back to work.

Thanks!
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

BAR "G" BBQ
Outlaw

Re: Crockpot Chili

Postby BAR "G" BBQ » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:56 am

Sorry I can't be more help Chuck but I just can't imagine turning out a quality bowl of Texas Red utilizing a crockpot. Not saying it can't be done; I normally cook a double or triple batch of chili and freeze in individual servings I can heat in the microwave.
BAR "G"
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:57 am

I do all mine in crockpots...hummmm.

I cook mine on high until I get bubbles, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 8 hours.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:00 am

Maybe you didn't have enough liquid in the crock?. I use the low setting for chile unless I'm on a time crunch and need it done in 6 hours. Less than 6hrs I use the stove.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:04 am

This begs the question of what would the difference be in cooking on the stove vs a crock pot? :?: :dont:

Im all ears on this one. 8)
Gator

nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:19 am

Gator wrote:This begs the question of what would the difference be in cooking on the stove vs a crock pot? :?: :dont:

Thanks guys...

I'm with ya Gator. I have only tried it once, but I'm gonna try it again probably today. I am thinking on starting it when I get home from Sams and just have it left over for tomorrow.

I guess the crockpot vs. the stove is kinda like beans or no beans... :out:
Chuck

gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:21 am

Chuck you can always toss in a can of beef broth as needed to add liquid.
Gator

BAR "G" BBQ
Outlaw

Postby BAR "G" BBQ » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:13 pm

Gator wrote:This begs the question of what would the difference be in cooking on the stove vs a crock pot? :?: :dont:

As I stated in my original post (not saying it can't be done); when I utilize a crockpot it is for something I plan to walk away from until done. When I cook chili I utilize several dumps during the cooking process thus why I prefer stove top. Yes I could utilize a crockpot and still do my dumps but what would be the sense in using a crockpot if I must still attend it and spend 2 to 3 times the amount of time verses the stove top. :roll: Sorry just stating my humble opinion but good chili just like good Q is a food of love thing. My mother makes a decent tasting brisket in her crockpot but I prefer mine the traditional smoked method.
BAR "G"
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:23 pm

Crockpots can be used for something besides melting Velveeta for queso? :shock:
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:36 pm

BAR "G" BBQ wrote:

As I stated in my original post (not saying it can't be done); when I utilize a crockpot it is for something I plan to walk away from until done. When I cook chili I utilize several dumps during the cooking process thus why I prefer stove top. Yes I could utilize a crockpot and still do my dumps but what would be the sense in using a crockpot if I must still attend it and spend 2 to 3 times the amount of time verses the stove top. :roll: Sorry just stating my humble opinion but good chili just like good Q is a food of love thing. My mother makes a decent tasting brisket in her crockpot but I prefer mine the traditional smoked method.

Im with ya Bar-G, more than one way to skin the kitty. :wink:
Gator

tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Postby tex_toby » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:56 pm

JamesB wrote:Crockpots can be used for something besides melting Velveeta for queso? :shock:

Yea - BEANS! :lol:
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:29 pm

BAR "G" BBQ wrote:

And thats what I plan to do. Put the chili on during when I get home from work and go to bed so it will be ready when I wake up to eat. Once I put evreything in my chili, I leave it alone until it's just about done. Then I will add some more jalapenos and onions for about another 30 minutes or so.

Cooking it in the crockpot will be a learning curve though.
Chuck

tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Postby tex_toby » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:50 pm

nascarchuck wrote:
BAR "G" BBQ wrote:

And thats what I plan to do. Put the chili on during when I get home from work and go to bed so it will be ready when I wake up to eat. Once I put evreything in my chili, I leave it alone until it's just about done. Then I will add some more jalapenos and onions for about another 30 minutes or so.

Cooking it in the crockpot will be a learning curve though.

If you are going to leave it on all night, I would suggest using low for the entire cook. For me, I never cook anything 100% high on the crockpot. Sometimes if I want to finish sooner, I will use high for a few hours and then turn to low, but if I have the time (like overnight) - low is good for the whole cook.

tex 8)
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:57 pm

tex_toby wrote:
If you are going to leave it on all night, I would suggest using low for the entire cook. For me, I never cook anything 100% high on the crockpot. Sometimes if I want to finish sooner, I will use high for a few hours and then turn to low, but if I have the time (like overnight) - low is good for the whole cook.

tex 8)

Remember Toby, I work nights. I will put it on around 8AM and need it ready by about 4-4:30PM
Chuck

mgwerks USER_AVATAR
mgwerks
Bandolero

Postby mgwerks » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:37 pm

I'm kinda with Bar G on this one. One suggestion I might make is to brown your meat in a skillet before you assemble the ingredients in the crock pot. You aren't going to get that cooking it all the way in the crock pot.
Visit my Cooking Blog.

The Armada:
22.5" WSM
MES 30" shorty
42"x24" & 36"x16" stick burners
1966 CharBroil charcoal grill
Weber 18 1/2" Silver
Sam's 32-inch Stainless gas grill (it was free!)

Return to “Chili Heads”