Some Chili Assistance

Anything, everything and all things chili. Cowboys like chili!

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bram03 USER_AVATAR
BRam03
Pilgrim

Some Chili Assistance

Postby BRam03 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:00 am

Hey everyone, I am needing some assistance from the pros... I have been working on my Chili for about 3 years now and I pretty much have it about as good as I can get it. However I think it is still missing something... Maybe it is just me, but could yall look over it and give any pointers? Anything you could offer from a ingredent or cooking standpoint would be appreciated!

P.S.

I also included my Chili Powder for some asistance as well
------------------------

Prep and cook time is about 4 to 5 hours (most of that should be cook)

5 pounds of ground meat
7 cups beef broth (homemade if possible)
5 tbs Chili Powder
4 tbs Onion Powder
4 tsp garlic powder or 12 cloves
5 tsp Aleppo Pepper flakes
3½ tps Pepper (fresh ground)
4½ tsp of Cumin (Fresh toasted and ground)
4 tps Kosher Salt or to taste
2½ Can Tomato Paste (6 oz)
15 Small Roma Tomatoes Peeled and seeded then pureed
5 Peppers (Anaheim or Poblano)
10 Serrano’s (or other hot pepper)
5 Jalapeños
2½ Habaneros
5 Pasilla de Oaxaxaca Chile

Put heat to medium
1. Add your stock to a 4qt cast iron pot, put heat to medium and reduce by 1/3

2. Brown your meat in small 1/2 pound batches, don't let the bottom of the pan burn! de glaze with the beef broth if needed and add liquid back into the pot, after meat is done add the Tomato Paste

3. After all the meat is browned reduce heat to medium low and add chili, onion, and garlic powder along with the salt, cumin, and pepper. Cook for 15 min before making your adjustments

4. Peel and deseed your tomatoes, and add to the blinder along with the stemmed and deseeded peppers and the dried Pasilla Chiles (also stemmed and deseeded and cut into quarters), blend on high for about a minute. This may need to be done in batches. Note if you don’t have room in the pot you need to continue to reduce the chili, cook for 30 min

5. If you think it needs more heat add some cayenne pepper and additional chili powder

6. Leave uncovered can cook on low for about 2 hours, stirring every 15-30 min (you do this to help thicken the chili)

7. After 2 hours make finial seasoning adjustments

8. Chili is done when you can take a wooden spoon and stick it in the chili and it stands up, it best when it takes force to pull it out :)

TIPS:

I like to select different cuts of lean meat, for a 5 pound batch I usually go with 3 pounds ground sirloin, 1 pounds Chili ground chuck, and 1 pound tri-tip cut into chunks about as big as a finger tip

Seed the peppers, and the Poblano needs to be pealed as well, this can be done a few ways... The easiest would to use a blow torch to burn the outside of it (the other would be to place them under broil) then placing into a plastic bag to "steam" then wipe the skin off. After you have everything seeded place them in the blinder and puree.

To peel tomatoes to simply cut an X into its bottom and place into boiling water till you can see the skin start to loosen. Then move to ice water to shock, skin should come right off. Cut in half to get seeds out

If at all possible use fresh chili powder and cumin you will taste the difference.

If you go with fresh garlic puree with tomatoes and peppers

I do my Chili in a cast iron enameled crock pot; otherwise it can get a metallic smell

I don’t thicken with flower or corn starch… that is cheating

Some great serving options include a big bowl and a large spoon, nothing else is required
----------------------------
My Chili Powder: yields about 1 cup

4 Ancho chilies (or any combo of mild dried peppers)
3 Dried New Mexico chilies (or any combo of mild dried peppers)
3 Cascabel peppers For heat:
5 to 7 (depending on how hot you want it) Dried Chiles de Arbol or Chipotle (or any combo of hot peppers)
2 tablespoons cumin seeds, toasted
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons ground oregano (Mexican oregano, if you can get it)
2 tablespoon Smoked Paprika

Stem, de-seed and roast peppers on 350 for about 8 min Toast cumin on medium high heat till faint whiffs of smoke can be seem (about 2-3 min) Grind everything till it's a powder
I live my life by a simple creed... Chili has no beans.
dub'
Cowboy

Re: Some Chili Assistance

Postby dub' » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:52 am

I don't see anything sweet in there. Maybe try the old "float some prunes in it for a while" trick,or a tsp or two of piloncillo.
Gotta hit those bitter,sweet,salt,sour and umami tastebuds!

dub(a little dab'll do ya)
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:00 am

I would call this assault chili nothing subtle about it 11 different chile peppers dried and fresh.
I'm thinking that maybe adding some KISS would help this chili.
tarde venientibus ossa....
davidtxs USER_AVATAR
Davidtxs
Bandolero

Postby Davidtxs » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:43 pm

yep a big ole can of wolf brand lol just kidddin man yours sounds awesome
When I grow up I wanna be EITHER

Jethro Gibbs thats TW0 B's Second is for
OR
Redneck Cooker "watch out Trigg"
So If any teams want a reasonable website let me know
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:06 pm

+1 to Papa Tom. Adding complexity to the taste is one thing, having it get muddled because of a lot of different peppers could be another, just a thought. Given all your peppers in there, you could probably use it as paint stripper as well!! Just pulling yer leg.

Also, I would use chili grind or finely diced or shredded chuck or sirloin. Much prefer it to hamburger meat.

Having said all that, my chili, which I consider very good, is not my best cooking by far. I think a real simple way to get the expert view is to check out the website for the CASI World Chili Championship in Terlingua; they publish the recipes of the winners. Don't know how I could do any better than they could; hard to argue with the holders of the coveted Golden Chili.
Last edited by Boots on Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:11 pm

Since I opened my big mouth about it, here is the website, hope this is helpful:

http://www.chili.org/recipes.html
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:27 pm

I add a chunk of Mexican chocolate to mine, my recipe is VERY CLOSE to yours.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
bram03 USER_AVATAR
BRam03
Pilgrim

Postby BRam03 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:28 pm

It really is not that hot guys :angel1:... The reason I use several different types of chilies is to layer the flavors, without giving any single pepper the staring roll. Also being that different peppers give off their heat at different times, I can give the upfront heat with the Serrano’s and Japs, while still delivering the back end heat with the Habs (also the habs give a great fruity flavor). Also by de-seeding the peppers you take away a lot of the heat... I add in the Pasilla peppers to add additional earthy and smoker flavor without the overwhelming cumin flavor. As for the meat, I like to use a combo of chunks of meat with chili grind and a little hamburger grind it “fill in the cracks” of the chili.

P.S.

If you think this sounds hot, in a previous version the habs where doubled, with the addition of about ¼ tea spoon of pure capsaicin :evil:... That is the level of heat I usually like however it was deemed to be uneatable by the masses.
I live my life by a simple creed... Chili has no beans.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:37 pm

I guess the true test of whether its hot is whether there is a hole in the bottom of the pot afterward. You keep eating like this, your proctologist is going to retire a rich man.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:13 pm

Sometimes a shot of mustard will give you that extra flavor you are looking for...
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call

Return to “Chili Heads”