Recommanden Rub for Ribs + Brisket ?

Texas Style BBQ Seasonings, Sauces and Such.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

simon USER_AVATAR
simon
Outlaw

Re: Recommanden Rub for Ribs + Brisket ?

Postby simon » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:21 am

SteerCrazy wrote:
Burnt Food Dude wrote:You can't go wrong with Hoochie Mama as is.

FWIW here is what I do.. I've added some (not a lot) fresh cracked pepper to the brisket about 45 mins to an hour after coating with Hoochie Mama. I use a thin coat of olive oil (sometimes woosty) on the brisket first to hold the rub on.

I try to use 12 to 14 pound whole packers cooked as one unit. I start the smoker off at 200 degrees for 6 hours then kick it up to 250 degrees. If the brisket is close to 165 at the 6 hour mark I'll wrap in foil and cook at 250 til done. Otherwise, I'll wrap when it hits 165.

I don't take any temps after wrapping. I'll check the meat after 1 hour 45 minutes to 2 hours. If a temp probe goes in like the brisket is soft butter, its done. If it doesn't I'll guestimate the time left by the feel of the meat. Otherwise I'll set a time for 35 minutes and recheck.

When I pull the brisket to rest, I'll open it up and pour whatever sauce I'm going to use over the brisket and re-wrap. Then I'll put it in my cambro and leave the door open for 15 minutes, then close. It will give the brisket a chance to cool down a little. There is plenty of heat still left in the meat to keep it hot (in a cambro or cooler wrapped in towels) for 5 to 6 hours. If you put it in a closed cambro or cooler right away the temp will keep rising and there may be a chance of over cooking the meat.

For contests I'll separate the point and flat. Slice the flat and chunk up the point. This seems to work for me in the Midwest.

Hope this gives you some ideas on cooking your brisket.

I'm starting to work with Hog Waller.

great tips BFD.

I´v to say the same, thats nearly a complete instruction for successful brisket cooking...

Great !
Greetings

Simon

Return to “SuckleBusters - The Forum Sponsor”