SB Salsa Test Batch #2

Texas Style BBQ Seasonings, Sauces and Such.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Re: SB Salsa Test Batch #2

Postby Gator » Wed May 20, 2009 6:45 am

Thanks Chuck.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Wed May 20, 2009 10:21 am

We're having a memorial day party with about 30 people to test out the salsa. I'll make it up on Sunday and serve it up on Monday. I'll post feedback then :D I can't wait any longer!
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Wed May 27, 2009 9:54 pm

Gator wrote:(Rob - did you have a chance to retry? Did it seem salty tasting? I noticed that the lime can give off a salty sensation and I bumped up the lime on this batch)

I finally had a chance to mix it up on Monday, but couldn't taste it until this morning. Again, I used the Hunts petite diced tomatoes. The first batch sat for about 45 minutes. This one sat for 30 hours.

This was a completely different experience from batch #1. The first batch had an overpowering taste of black pepper, but no real heat. This one tasted like actual *salsa*. There was still a taste of pepper, but it was only a taste. I picked up a cilantro flavor, and some onion and garlic, but the biggest flavor was the tomatoes. Overall, a very nice salsa. It didn't have a vinegar flavor like most commercial salsas, and was much thicker than a standard salsa. How thick?

The heat level was there, but by no means overpowering. Because I like hot foods, I'd say this was a Mild to low Medium level for average folks. Personally, I'd like a bit more heat, but I can add a shake or 2 of Heat or some fresh peppers to kick it up.

To me, though, and this is only my $.02, there's still something missing. Maybe it's the dried spices or the lack of a vinegar bite, but the flavor was a bit off for me. I'll try a bit of fresh lime juice and see if it helps. I'm also going to try my immersion blender on it and see what happens to the flavor.

Based on this, I'd definitely get it. With the thicker consistency, it would be great for tacos or other meals where you want the salsa to stay put. That and the sheer coolness of mixing fresh salsa for a meal make this a good product.

For my first experience, click here.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
mgwerks USER_AVATAR
mgwerks
Bandolero

Postby mgwerks » Thu May 28, 2009 11:16 am

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you. I mixed up test batch #2 and served it to my usual bunch of disreputable friends and food mooches.

I believe without exception the ones that had partaken of test batch #1 felt that this was by far a better mix. The cilantro, garlic and heat levels were all judged spot-on. I also used petite-diced tomatoes, and it made a large difference. Next time I may use crushed tomatoes, both to reduce the chunk size disparity between the 'maters and the dehydrated veggies, but also to add more liquid. I'm thinking it should palate out about right for texture. I still think it needs a little "something" but darned if I know what it might be. Perhaps the lime juice could do it. Perhaps more onion. We'll just have to see.

Those that tasted it for the first time thought it was among the best they have had. They wanted to know it's source and cost, and I told them it's a secret for now, but I'd let them know.

I think you're closing in on a primo product! Just make sure it isn't priced above market, and it's a sure-fire winner!
Visit my Cooking Blog.

The Armada:
22.5" WSM
MES 30" shorty
42"x24" & 36"x16" stick burners
1966 CharBroil charcoal grill
Weber 18 1/2" Silver
Sam's 32-inch Stainless gas grill (it was free!)
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Thu May 28, 2009 11:42 am

Thanks for the feedback everyone, much appreciated!

I have the recipe almost ready. I ran through a couple more recipe changes and I think the current version (#4) will be the final recipe. It was spot on duirng the taste tests last week. Not sure if another test batch is needed - but I will keep yall in the loop.

Working on packaging and pricing next.

:)
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call

Return to “SuckleBusters - The Forum Sponsor”