Our Sucklebusters Salsa Mother's Day Experience

Texas Style BBQ Seasonings, Sauces and Such.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

mgwerks USER_AVATAR
mgwerks
Bandolero

Our Sucklebusters Salsa Mother's Day Experience

Postby mgwerks » Sun May 10, 2009 7:31 pm

The salsa was presented as part of a Mother's Day meal for Kathy and my mom at my parents' house. I dragged my MES over there with me and did a spatchcocked chicken for the meal, along with home-made beans and potato salad. Ignore Dad's propane grill in the background...

Here's a shot of the final meal, with plenty of goodies for all. Dessert was a choice of mango cream pie or peanut butter pie.

I'm going to skip the prep talk and pictures, as that has been well-covered and I followed the instructions. I let the salsa sit for an hour in the fridge with an occasional stir before serving. I purchased lightly-salted fresh chips for the test flight.
Without exception, Test Batch #1 met with positive reviews. All thought it very tasty and convenient, without the 'cooked and jarred' taste or texture. I have consolidated the comments of the testers below for your perusal.

• The resultant salsa was maybe a bit thick. Addition of a slight amount of liquid is an easy fix.
  • The salsa could have included more cilantro. We are all big cilantro lovers.
  • No one noticed that there was too much garlic. Of course, we are all big garlic lovers, too.
  • The heat level was spot on. Not overwhelming, but it came on later in the taste and provided a very nice base heat in the mouth
  • Two testers commented that they would have liked to see more onion in the mix.
  • It might be nice to see the dried veggies in the mix a bit larger in size. The resultant salsa was a little less chunky than we would have liked.

The collected opinion is that this will be a great commercial product. We eagerly await the results of your incorporation of all of the responses you have received, and can't wait to have a look at the final product. I think what makes or breaks it will be the price point; as this is not the 'normal' way people buy and use salsa, they might have to be enticed by an economic incentive to get hooked on the tasty result.

Finally, here is an unscripted and candid visual review of the product when I told everyone to say "cheese". Of course, my mother took it literally - she isn't making a face because of the salsa.

Visit my Cooking Blog.

The Armada:
22.5" WSM
MES 30" shorty
42"x24" & 36"x16" stick burners
1966 CharBroil charcoal grill
Weber 18 1/2" Silver
Sam's 32-inch Stainless gas grill (it was free!)
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Re: Our Sucklebusters Salsa Mother's Day Experience

Postby Gator » Sun May 10, 2009 7:59 pm

Very nice, looks like a bunch of happy eaters to me! Notes taken.

Thanks,

:)
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call

Return to “SuckleBusters - The Forum Sponsor”