Sucklebusters Salsa

Texas Style BBQ Seasonings, Sauces and Such.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Re: Sucklebusters Salsa

Postby Gator » Sat May 09, 2009 10:00 pm

Rob thank you - what type of tomatoes did you use? On the salt and pepper - there is 1/2 TSP each in the mix package, is it possible the tomatoes were salted?
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Sun May 10, 2009 7:41 am

We used the Hunts Petite Diced, same as Jim. I saw several other varieties on the shelves, but I wanted to stick with a proven brand for a true comparison.

:dont: I just don't know what happened, especially in light of the other results.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sun May 10, 2009 8:15 am

:? I dunno, no worries. Thanks for the test run.

;)
Gator

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun May 10, 2009 9:23 am

I started with a 14.5oz can of S&W Ready Cut Diced Tomatos. When I opened the can, the product was way to chunky to use in salsa. I proceded to drain the tomatos and chopped the tomatos into smaller pieces. The can yielded exactly 1/2cup (4oz) of juice.

My packet had settled in shipping so it didn't look as appealing as the others that have been posted. The powders were on the bottom and dehydrated veggies were on the top with the cilantro sandwhiched between. Something to think about when it comes to displaying this product on a shelf.

I put the dry ingredients into a glass bowl and added the juice from the can and mixed well with a wooden spoon. Then I added the refined dice of tomatos and using the wooden spoon mixed it all up again. Covered with generic plastic wrap and put into the reefer.

At this point I tasted what was left on the wooded spoon. What I tasted was pure garlic with some back heat. Remember, this is right after mixing and the ingredients hadn't had a chance to rehydrate much less meld.

An hour later I checked on the salsa. It had thickened to the point where there was no free liquid to be found, even on the bottom of the bowl. I added 1/4cup (2oz) of Rocky Mountain Tap Water, mixed slightly, recovered with ECwrap and returned it to said reefer.

An hour later I decided it was time to partake. This is what it looked like:
SBsalsa2.JPG

From a marketing point of view this product could be a huge money maker. It has to be alot cheaper to produce and ship a product that is dry. Let some one else (Hunts, S&W) pay the cost of canning and shipping the wet ingredients. Bet you'd have a faster turn over, as it a one use portion for the most part where as sauces can sit in fridge for months before they are refreshed. We used to make a taboli salad that was along these same lines, add two cans of diced tomatos to a box of dry ingredients and let sit for an hour or two. Easy and tasted great, sadly we can't find it any more.

But I digress. Heat wise I'd call it mild to medium. I prefer more heat, but I'm told I'm an odd duck in that regard. :roll: Flavorwise it was good but not knock down the gates great. Too much cilantro for my taste but everyone is different. I thought the garlic level was't over powering. I ate over half of it in one sitting so it has to have something going for it!

If I had another packet in front of me I'd add 2 oz of water, a teaspoon of vinegar, a pinch of salt and maybe a teaspoon of dried oregano from the start and let it sit for at least 2 hours in the fridge.

A couple of add-in ideas you could put on the lable to kick it up to delux would be a small can of whole kernal corn and/or a can of drain and rinsed black beans.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sun May 10, 2009 12:59 pm

Thanks Dave, lots of good tidbits there.

It always proves that everyones tatse is very different - our testing is proving that out. I am gonna work up a couple of dirrerent versions based on the results here...thanks for all the good input everyone!
Gator

papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun May 10, 2009 6:01 pm

Gator I'm going to add that I am really enthusiastic about this product. I haven't seen anything quite like it in the marketplace. The other mixes I have seen are not nearly as easy and the results certainly are no better in any case especially visual and the freshness appeal. Like DATS said the dry mix really has an advantage in price point due to the shipping and the fact you don't have to worry about breakage or spoilage. I really think you are hitting on a special niche here. For even greater convenience you could (especially for shows or introduction) market it in a pint jar. Just add a can of tomatoes, shake, done, fits perfectly.
tarde venientibus ossa....
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun May 10, 2009 6:28 pm

I agree the color and look are outstanding, surely better than any canned or bottled salsa I've seen. Should have mentioned that, oops!
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
newbq USER_AVATAR
NewBQ
Outlaw

Postby NewBQ » Sun May 10, 2009 6:38 pm

After hearing several comments regarding moisture, I decided to try Hunts Stewed tomatoes (w/ a couple bumps in the processor)

the contents had settled and separated so I shook em up pretty good mixed in the stewed tomatoes and put in the fridge for three hours.

We had about 16-17 people over ages 11-72. Heat factor was mixed and I agree this might suggest about medium!
a couple people suggested a pinch more salt, several sugested more cilantro; I added a little fresh clantro put it back in the fridge for an hour or so. When I tried it again I thought it was better without the extra cilantro.
about 6 people liked it better w/ extra cilantro, everyone else said leave it as is!!!

Very good salsa mix IMHO! Put it on the shelf.
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sun May 10, 2009 7:06 pm

Thanks NBQ - using stewed tomatoes make a much sweeter salsa...

I am thinking of working up a version #2 and resend out this week, stay tunned.

Rob I also want to send you another packet just to make sure that somehow you didnt get double dipped on the salt when I was mixing up the samples.
Gator

Return to “SuckleBusters - The Forum Sponsor”