Sucklebusters

Texas Style BBQ Seasonings, Sauces and Such.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

psuman316
Pilgrim

Sucklebusters

Postby psuman316 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:14 am

Question for you guys I just ordered the 4 pack bbq sauce from sucklebusters and the hog waller and hoochie mama rubs. I am doing 4 racks of Pork Ribs this weekend and was wondering what 4 combinations do you think I should try between sauce and rub. I am planning on foiling these things after 3 hours of smoke with brown sugar, parkay, honey, and maybe some tiger sauce. Then finishing them with the sauce as the glaze. The 4 sauces I got are the honey, the original, the spicy, and peach. Thanks in advance
tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Re: Sucklebusters

Postby tex_toby » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:13 pm

Hog Waller and a light honey sauce glaze at the end is one of my favs :thap: It sounds like you are wanting to incorporate a lot of flavors at once. I say keep it pretty simple or else you won't be tasting any ribs, just sauces/glazes.
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:24 pm

I know I'm swimming upstream here but how about just using the a rub and serving the sauce on the side. :idea: Its beyond me why anyone would want to entomb good pork with crystalized sugar. :banghead: But I know it happens. And if you're going to sauce/glaze your ribs, well Dan's products are the best around so you won't go south on that one. Someone :chef: with a sweet tooth will be along soon enough and hopefully share their knowledge of these dark arts :roll: with all of us. 8)

Back to the sauce. I prefer the spicy above the rest. On the side of course. As for the rubs, I've used 'em both and they are both top notch rubs.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
atcnick USER_AVATAR
atcNick
Outlaw

Sucklebusters

Postby atcNick » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:11 pm

My fav is hog waller and the original sauce. You trying to replicate jonny trigg ribs?

-Nick
-Nick

Custom R&O Offset
Lang 84D w/Chargriller SOLD
Weber Performer
22" Weber One Touch Gold Kettle
18" Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Smokey Joe
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:55 am

First off - thanks for the purchase!

You have a lot going on there, so let me give you the flavor profiles and then maybe you can decide from there:

Hog Waller - Super sweet - has a decent amount of salt, don't over use on ribs. Nice thin coat.

Hocchie Mama - Traditional TX Rub, spicy.

Original BBQ Sauce - Sweet Tangy slight spice.

Hot Spicy BBQ Sauce - Exactly the same as Original, but with chipotle peppers added.

Honey BBQ Sauce - Sweet, Sweet Sweet.

Peach BBQ Sauce - Light, Sweet.

-> Im a sweet fan, so give me the Hog Waller and Honey BBQ Sauce combo. ;)
-> For Spicy go, Hoochie Mama and Hot BBQ Sauce.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:07 am

Can't go wrong with the SB products.

Since you are doing 4 racks, why not mix it up?

Hoochie Mama on two
Hog Waller on two
Then try the different sauces as a glaze

Then don't tell the judges which is which and have them vote on their favorite - we do this from time to time with the family

When I mix it up sometimes I forget which was which if there are too many adult refreshments involved 8)

I would keep it simple though - skip the brown sugar, honey, and tiger sauce and check out the flavors from the SB rubs and sauces
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
woody wood USER_AVATAR
Woody Wood
Bandolero

Postby Woody Wood » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:23 am

tex_toby wrote:Hog Waller and a light honey sauce glaze at the end is one of my favs :thap: It sounds like you are wanting to incorporate a lot of flavors at once. I say keep it pretty simple or else you won't be tasting any ribs, just sauces/glazes.
This!!
El Rey Smokers
Traeger
Big Green Egg
MeatChurch BBQ
Oakridge BBQ
Backwoods Spirits

3 Woody's BBQ
psuman316
Pilgrim

Postby psuman316 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:20 am

Yes, I am/was trying to duplicate the trigg ribs. I have always just foiled my ribs in apple juice and put back in the smoker for the 2 hours, so once I seen bbq pittmasters and then read here about the parkay, honey, and brown sugar I wanted to give it a try. But, after reading what you guys are saying maybe I will keep it simple and just play around with different combinations of SB's rubs and sauces. I was thinking of these combos
Rib 1: Hoochie rub with peach bbq glaze
Rib 2: Hoochie rub with Honey bbq glaze
Rib 3: Hog waller rub with Spicy bbq glaze
Rib 4: Hog waller rub with Original
Thanks for all your input
americana cookers USER_AVATAR
Americana Cookers
Rustler

Postby Americana Cookers » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:08 pm

I've been doing the butter, honey, and brown sugar for awhile. Last time I cooked ribs i did 3 different styles. Trigg style with my own rub, Hog waller with spicy peach, and a dry rub with just spritzing with apple juice. The trigg style were the favorite, i think just cause everyone is use to me cooking those, the hog waller with spicy peach were a huge hit as well "my favorite", and the plain dry rub I took to work for left overs! Just play around with it and have fun! Doing my first comp at the end of the month since the SB hit the door, cant wait!!
~Thanks to our sponsors~
92.1FM Radio New Braunfels
36D Managment
Bates Boots

sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:51 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:I know I'm swimming upstream here but how about just using the a rub and serving the sauce on the side. :idea: Its beyond me why anyone would want to entomb good pork with crystalized sugar. :banghead: But I know it happens. And if you're going to sauce/glaze your ribs, well Dan's products are the best around so you won't go south on that one. Someone :chef: with a sweet tooth will be along soon enough and hopefully share their knowledge of these dark arts :roll: with all of us. 8)

Back to the sauce. I prefer the spicy above the rest. On the side of course. As for the rubs, I've used 'em both and they are both top notch rubs.

You're not the only one. Sometimes we glaze some of the ribs for guests but I would definitely serve on the side. :mrgreen:
Moink!

Return to “SuckleBusters - The Forum Sponsor”