Any one a big fan of Dr Pepper?

Texas Style BBQ Seasonings, Sauces and Such.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Re: Any one a big fan of Dr Pepper?

Postby DJ » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:50 pm

Try dropping some salted peanuts in a bottle of dr Pepper...been "drinkin" 'em like that since I was a kid....
dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
4w BBQ
Pilgrim

Postby 4w BBQ » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:57 pm

Yes, we consider Dublin to be a regular stop!
n2dabluebbq USER_AVATAR
n2dabluebbq
Bandolero

Postby n2dabluebbq » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:08 am

man can't believe i missed out on this. have four cases of the Dr in the cooler at all times. i drink it and the boy does too.
well gator definitely can't hardly wait to see what comes of this.

oh and are you doing the fiery food show?
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:56 am

n2dabluebbq wrote:oh and are you doing the fiery food show?

I had to pass this year - too many other commitments...hopefully we come back next year.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
n2dabluebbq USER_AVATAR
n2dabluebbq
Bandolero

Postby n2dabluebbq » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:16 pm

will look for you next year then sir!
smoque shack USER_AVATAR
smoque shack
Pilgrim

Postby smoque shack » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:56 pm

hey all,

newcomer here, but not to bbq. i live 1/2 mile from the only dr pepper plant who uses the original recipie for dr pepper. and yes you can tell the difference. i serve it in my restaurant in lake city co.

jeff heaton,"smoque shack bbq"....lake city co.
"Smoque Shack BBQ"- Lake City, Colorado.-----FEC 500,
Harley rider- 2009 ultra classic
cjate USER_AVATAR
CJATE
Cowboy

Postby CJATE » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:51 pm

noticed DR BBQ sauce at HEB yesterday...

I'm not a huge fan of sweet sauce, so i passed; but did think of this thread.

and SmoqueShack, you might can clam pure cane sugar in your DP,,, but Waco is the home; have the t-shirt to prove it (i joke, but no really it's home is Waco, it's about all we have)
if your look'n... you aint cook'n

http://www.meatinthemiddle.com
smoque shack USER_AVATAR
smoque shack
Pilgrim

Postby smoque shack » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:56 pm

cjat,

you are correct. it was invented in waco, but dublin is still the only place that still does the original recipe.[ ,y daughter works there], don't be down on waco too much....you still have the bears.....ouch! lol. just kidding bro.
"Smoque Shack BBQ"- Lake City, Colorado.-----FEC 500,
Harley rider- 2009 ultra classic
oldschoolbbq USER_AVATAR
oldschoolbbq
Pilgrim

Postby oldschoolbbq » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:44 pm

Being a native Temple boy :?: Not only yeah,but H#ll yeah. Make a real good sauce too :!:
Smoke Happy ;}-
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:48 pm

I was addicted to it for 25 yrs!....then I traded addictions to Diet Coke...
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
cokeguy101 USER_AVATAR
cokeguy101
Bandolero

Postby cokeguy101 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:05 am

Speaking of diet coke... need any?

We don't get too many diet coke logo'ed shirts etc or I would get a few for ya. I have not seen anything with diet coke on it in a while to be honest.
High On Smoke BBQ
Family+Friends+Cooking = Good Times

R&O Fat Girl
Smokemaster off set with vertical
Large Big Green Egg
2 Hasty Bakes
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:24 pm

Just a little update here - looks like this project has met an unfortunate end...to bad, we had a good product ready to roll.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/01/11 ... -town.html
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:12 pm

I have had 2 or 3 per week every week since about age three, so that's probably like several thousand bottles. When I was a little kid in the '60's, and before the Basses cleaned up downtown Fort Worth and the Stockyards got touristy, my dad would take me to the cattle auction that still existed on Exchange Street in the Stockyards in a corrugated sheet metal building where the rodeo building was later built (to match the old exchange building in style). My dad still knew stock agents in the "stock exchange"...back when that meant buying and selling cattle, not shares in Microsoft. My dad would always buy me a Dr Pepper, and it was all still made with pure cane sugar then. It was much thicker and more syrupy and real and better then than it is today, because now they put the cheap corn syrup in it instead. Occasionally, as a new dad, I would make a run down to the HEB Central Market down in Plano just to get a fix of the real stuff still made in Dublin so my son could have the same stuff his grandfather gave me.

That is until last month, when all this went down. I followed it pretty closely through the news. The DP corporate weenies and lawyers in Plano sued the Dublin bottling works and Jeff Kloster, their OLDEST independent bottler that had been operating on a license since the 1890's, and basically threatened to run them out of business if they didn't quit selling out of a six county area around Dublin. Mind you, people would call Kloster from all over the country and other countries for that matter just to order the stuff. Not his fault they were making a BETTER product. People who knew better didn't want the fake corn syrup stuff from DP corporate; they wanted the REAL stuff, only produced in Dublin. Instead of working WITH Dublin and this third generation family owned Texas bottler to replace the cheap corporate product with the better Dublin product that more people would want, they trotted out a bunch of corporate lawyers to intimidate the Dublin folks into submission or destroy their company if they resisted. And this, after the President of DP went on TV a couple of years ago PRAISING Dublin bottling works for their great product and benefit to the DP brand. Mind you, the DP lawyers were arguing technicalities to justify their arguments when they had allowed this practice to go on for decades, and when they should have been working on a marketing campaign that would have introduced more people to the better product and expanded the DP corporate business. As a businessman who runs a pretty large business, I'd say it's pretty dumb for a company whose stock price hasn't improved in 2 years and lost ground immediately by permanently alienating a big block of its most intensely loyal customers. Even dumber when you understand the fact that the Dublin bottler accounted for like a whopping 1/10th of 1% of the company's worldwide sales.

So after a long lifetime of consuming the stuff, like thousands of other Texans, I won't ever buy Dr Pepper again. Just my personal decision, and that includes their many other products like IBC Root Beer and 7up, etc. As far as I'm concerned, the DP corporate can go pound sand. Don't mess with a Texas institution.

But I tell you what I WILL be buying. Jeff Kloster and the Dublin Bottling Works are staging a comeback and will now be selling Triple XXX Root Beer, another 100+ year old name that I also remember from my childhood...it was GREAT. Looking forward to getting some more...may have to drive down to Dublin and spend some money in town to do it, too. And I bet there is probably a way to build a good mop out of rootbeer instead of Dr Pepper.

I'd urge everybody to read the following article in the Dallas Disturber and decide for yourself whether I am just a crackpot off on another one of my many rants, or whether this is a family and a business you feel like supporting. Sorry to lay down such a diatribe, just feel very strongly about this. Thanks.

http://www.olddocs.com/" target="_blank
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/cityofa ... loster.php" target="_blank
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."

Return to “SuckleBusters - The Forum Sponsor”