SuckleBusters Basic BBQ Instruction Book Research

Texas Style BBQ Seasonings, Sauces and Such.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

SuckleBusters Basic BBQ Instruction Book Research

Postby Gator » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:47 pm

Hi Folks -

Im staring to do research on a SuckleBusters Cookbook. Its more of a "how to cookbook" with several recipes for beginners. In it I plan to have quick-and-easy recipes for people who are new to grilling and BBQ. The goal is to expose folks to my products and grilling/smoking for beginners. I also want to keep it simple - quick and easy.

At this point I'm collecting ideas for which recipes to include, so far I have:

Pork - both pulled pork and ribs.
Brisket
Chicken
Fish
For each of these I would have a "city slicker" type easy indoor recipe + a oven bake + finish off on the grill + a BBQ or smoker recipe.

SB Chile
Blackened Fish
Steaks?

Sides:
Pinto Beans
Potato Salad
Slaw
Baked Yellow Squash
Mac-n-cheese
Baked Beans
Roasted Potatoes

Deserts:
Banana Pudding

- Its more of an "Instruction Manual" with a few recipes included vs. a cookbook.
- It will be included in a "BBQ Starter Kit" along with several SB products and be sold as a gift type purchase.
- it may be sold individually, for a few $ mostly to help customers learn how to use my products.

I'm looking for must have basic recipe ideas - not asking fro recipes, just what must be included to cover the basics of BBQ.

Comments and/or recipe ideas welcome. 8)
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
EL SLINKSTER
Wrangler

Re: SuckleBusters Basic BBQ Instruction Book Research

Postby EL SLINKSTER » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:55 am

ABTs, Moinks, Fajitas, burgers, Grilled veggie kabobs, salsas, Grilled fruits (pineapple) which brings me to Cobbler...
Raising heck one brisket at a time...
mgwerks USER_AVATAR
mgwerks
Bandolero

Postby mgwerks » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:00 am

I think that a good prelim chapter on correct fire building and maintenance for both grilling and smoking might be in order as well.
Visit my Cooking Blog.

The Armada:
22.5" WSM
MES 30" shorty
42"x24" & 36"x16" stick burners
1966 CharBroil charcoal grill
Weber 18 1/2" Silver
Sam's 32-inch Stainless gas grill (it was free!)
budroux2w
Wrangler

Postby budroux2w » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:40 pm

mgwerks wrote:I think that a good prelim chapter on correct fire building and maintenance for both grilling and smoking might be in order as well.

I agree. I've been smoking/cooking for a while now, and just learned the proper color the smoke should be. I never had a pit thermometer until reading this forum. My food had always been good, but actually reading, and applying the basics of fire management has really improved the quality of my cooks.

Also food trimming before and after a cook would be a good area to touch on. Something to the effect of how to trim a brisket including removing the point and how to slice, along with ribs and maybe even chicken too.
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:58 pm

This is probably a no brainer, but be sure to put in the book a reference to www.texasbbqforum.com

Just ask a question and you will receive several hints/replies from nice folks who like to share information.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
buddy USER_AVATAR
Buddy
Pilgrim

Postby Buddy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:27 am

Tri tip works well on a smoker and also cabbage. How about okra as a side breaded with hog waller in your breading and then fried.
budroux2w
Wrangler

Postby budroux2w » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:35 am

Might even touch on the proper way to season and the different ways to go about it (i.e. wet marinade, dry rub, injection, etc). Pics would go great here.
biker bob USER_AVATAR
Biker Bob
Rustler

Postby Biker Bob » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:05 am

Corn Bread....with a little Texas Gun Powder
Biker Bob
Custom Stick Burner
Weber Gaser
b-hillʹs bbq USER_AVATAR
B-hill's BBQ
Cowboy

Postby B-hill's BBQ » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:15 pm

Yeah pitures of the food and how it should look would help out tremendously. I am a big visual learner, and also if others saw how good these recipes are going to turn out, they are more apt to buy it too. Man, I am getting hungry just thinking about it.
Brian, BMC USCG
Strive to be Saltier than a Pretzel
buddy USER_AVATAR
Buddy
Pilgrim

Postby Buddy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:16 pm

How about a meatloaf done on the smoker. Put some hoochie mama or your sucklebuster choice of seasoning in your ground meat , and finish it off with some Honey BBQ Sauce.

Some baked beans in an aluminum pan done on the smoker with some sautee'd onion and bacon pieces thrown in along with some canned pineapple chunks , a little brown sugar , and some Honey BBQ Sauce.

Redneck style !
ezbbq USER_AVATAR
ezbbq
Cowboy

Postby ezbbq » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:50 pm

Gotta have a section on smokin' a fattie! Take a 1 lb chub of you favorite breakfast sausage, (I like Owen's hot), cut a slit in it and put in seeded jalepeno slivers and a mixture of cream cheese, chopped black olives and ground smoked sausage. Close it up, sprinkle liberally with your favorite SB seasoning (Hog Waller) and wrap it in bacon. Smoke it for 2-2 1/2 hours at 225 to 250. Slice it up and serve it on Hawiian King Rolls for breakfast.
Shiner Bock is the grease that helps us slide thru life.

New R&O smoker - Flaco
One chicken cookin' WSM - R2D2
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:02 am

All good ideas folks, thanks and keep 'um coming.

:)
Gator

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:59 pm

I take it you're looking for "standards" like the aforementioned goodies and not things out of the mainstream? If you're looking for something out of the ordinary I could probably come up with a few suggestions.

Bet they grow soy beans in Texas. If you were to brew your own soy sauce that would open a lot of doors.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
sharkie USER_AVATAR
Sharkie
Rustler

Postby Sharkie » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:13 am

"Take a 1 lb chub of you favorite breakfast sausage, (I like Owen's hot), cut a slit in it and put in seeded jalepeno slivers and a mixture of cream cheese, chopped black olives and ground smoked sausage. Close it up, sprinkle liberally with your favorite SB seasoning (Hog Waller) and wrap it in bacon. Smoke it for 2-2 1/2 hours at 225 to 250. Slice it up and serve it on Hawiian King Rolls for breakfast."

My Lord I have died and gone ta Heaven .... I can not WAIT to try this !!! Oh mah goodness
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:04 am

DATsBBQ wrote:I take it you're looking for "standards" like the aforementioned goodies and not things out of the mainstream? If you're looking for something out of the ordinary I could probably come up with a few suggestions.

Bet they grow soy beans in Texas. If you were to brew your own soy sauce that would open a lot of doors.

Mostly the basics...

On the Soy Bean thingie...you ever wonder what they gotta do to a little green bean to make into a salty black liquid? I'm just sayin...it must be a nasty process... :shock: :D

But Dats you are on to something here...I working up some marinade ideas and Soy Sauce (all natural of course) seems a likely ingredient.
Gator

Return to “SuckleBusters - The Forum Sponsor”