I need your grandma's famos yeast roll recipie

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

pony express USER_AVATAR
Pony Express
Outlaw

I need your grandma's famos yeast roll recipie

Postby Pony Express » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:43 pm

I'm serious.
My Grandmother (Noni ) died and took her roll recipe (yeast rolls) to the grave with her.
I just made a test batch that I found on the internet. It was ok, just not Noni's rolls.
So if any of you have such a recipe, I'm talking about the one that you were sworn to never reveal, and your willing to share........
lay it on me (us)
Wanting to re-create our thanksgivings of old.

Thank you
Charmglo gasser,
New Braunfels offset smoker
Custom trailer pit offset smoker

Git-er done
GIG EM
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Re: I need your grandma's famos yeast roll recipie

Postby JamesB » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:55 pm

Here is a good one...

=====================
Light Rolls

1 cup of milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/2 tablespoon salt
3 cups flour
1 egg
One cake of yeast (you cannot buy cake yeast anymore. So use one small package.)

Mix butter and 1/2 cup milk - add sugar, salt, then heat this mixture slightly. Then stir in the yeast. You then need to let this mixture set for a few minutes until the yeast starts to activate. You can tell this when the yeast starts to bubble
up, it takes about 10 minutes. Then put the rest of the milk in a separate container and beat the egg into this milk.

Then you pour the milk and yeast mixture into a large bowl. You can then start sifting in the flour. After about half of the flour has been worked in you need to add the milk and egg mixture. The remainder of the flour is then worked in.

Once this is all completed you need to cover it loosely with plastic wrap , and let it rise to about double the size. Next make round balls of the dough and put it on a cookie sheet. In order to roll the round balls you will need to put some
flour on your hands or the dough will stick to your hands. Place the balls on a cookie sheet and let them about double again and then bake in a 350 degree oven for about 13 min. Or until golden brown.

Enjoy

Ray and Yoko Basso
=====================
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Postby Stan41 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:57 pm

Here's another good 'un.
BARBARA'S ROLLS

Dissolve 3 pkgs yeast in 1 cup warm water. Set Aside.
Stir 1 1/2 cups hot water with 1/2 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 cup melted margerine.
Let Cool.
Beat 2 eggs, add to water mixture then add yeast mixture.
Stir in 6 cups flour until blended.
Cover with wet cloth and let rise 30 minutes.
Punch down, make into rolls.
Let rise
Place rolls in well greased pan.
Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees until brown.
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
hj USER_AVATAR
Hj
Bandolero

Postby Hj » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:46 pm

Yeast Rolls

1 cup whole milk
2 pkg. dry yeast
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
41/2 to 5 cups flour
more melted butter

Warm milk in small saucepan over low heat. Mix 1/3 of milk with dry yeast in small bowl, let sit until bubbly, about 15 minutes. In large bowl, combine remaining milk, melted butter, salt and sugar and beat until the sugar is dissolved. Then add the beaten eggs and bubbly yeast.

Add flour, 1/4 cup at a time, beating on high speed of stand mixer. This step should take at least 5 minutes. When dough gets too stiff to beat, stir in rest of flour by hand, if necessary, to make soft dough. Turn out onto floured surface and knead 5 minutes, until smooth and satiny. Place dough in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in warm place until light and doubled in size, about 1 hour pr Cover dough well n placed it in refrigerator overnight if u like. This works really well. Let dough stand at room temperature 1 hour before proceeding with recipe.

Punch down dough - roll out on floured surface to 1/2" thickness. Cut with 3" round cookie cutter. Brush each roll with melted butter - fold in half to make half circles. Pinch edge lightly to hold, so rolls don't unfold as they rise. Place in 2 greased 13x9" pans, cover - let rise again until double- about 45 minutes. If you refrigerated dough- this will take longer-about 60-75 minutes.

Bake rolls 350 F. 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan immediately - brush with more melted butter. Don't use same butter you used when forming rolls - melt some fresh just for this step. Makes 24 rolls
A mistake is sometimes a great creation
hj USER_AVATAR
Hj
Bandolero

Postby Hj » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:55 pm

Buttermilk Rolls

These are tender n soft. Served these rolls with any meal- they are the first to go.
14 rolls

3 1/2 c. bread flour divided
2 T. sugar
1/4 oz. package fast rise yeast
1 1/4 tsps. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 c. warm buttermilk (120 -130 degrees F- will appear curdled
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1/3 c. warm water (120 -130 degrees F
Melted butter or margarine

In mixing bowl- combine 11/2 cups flour- sugar- yeast-salt- baking powder with baking soda.
Add buttermilk- oil n water- beat until moistened.
Stir in enough remaining flour to form soft dough.
Turn onto a floured surface - knead until smooth n elastic- about 4-6 minutes.
Cover -let rest 10 minutes.
Roll out to 1/2 inch thickness- cut with a 2 1/2inch biscuit cutter.
Place on greased baking sheet.
Bake 400ºF 15-18 minutes or until golden.
Brush tops with butter.
A mistake is sometimes a great creation
kenny 13 USER_AVATAR
Kenny 13
Outlaw

Postby Kenny 13 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:16 am

My daughter has a recipe for honey yeast rolls. She baked them for Thanksgiving and they were fantastic. I'll try to remember to get the recipe from her and post it.
Large Big Green Egg
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold

What's On The Grill?

Return to “Request a Recipe”