Looking to do my first thanksgiving right

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Dan0rex
Pilgrim

Looking to do my first thanksgiving right

Postby Dan0rex » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:48 am

So, this will be my first thanksgiving that I'm hosting, and I want to do it right. Me and the wifey have already worked out the menu, and it's calling for a turkey, and a ham. I'm also buying a new grill/smoker as soon as I get home. I should be back about a week before T-day. I'm hoping to smoke the turkey, and most likely do the ham in the oven. I'll be getting an offset smoker, so I'm thinking indirect cooking, then direct at the end to get the color, if needed. I'm just curious on what you guys might recommend, types of wood, cooking times, brines, stuff like that. Any advise is welcome, and appreciated.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Re: Looking to do my first thanksgiving right

Postby OSD » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:02 am

First thing to do would be go to this link and read....Turkey 101 and Brining 101........

http://www.cookshack.com/smokin-okies-guides"

Lots of good info and recipes for the brines and how-to's for cooking the bird.

Also do a search on the forum for "Turkey" and you will get several great threads on turkey cooks and recipes that have been posted in the past.
Jim
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:46 am

The above advise on brines is a good 'en... As for getting a good color, you should be able to achieve that with out the direct cooking. Good luck with your cook!
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:17 am

Well depending on the size of the offset you get, you should have enough room for both a turkey and ham, freeing up the oven for ever present green bean casserole and pumpkin pie. Plenty of threads about turkey on this site, might want to take a gander at some of them. I'm trying to talk the Mrs into a goose this year :shock: just to change it up a bit.

Here are a couple turkeys, one done low and slow and one roasted in the trusty Weber kettle.
http://www.ncre.biz/DATsBBQ/CookLogs/Turkey21Jun09.html
http://www.ncre.biz/DATsBBQ/CookLogs/Tu ... 22007.html
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
Dan0rex
Pilgrim

Postby Dan0rex » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:23 am

Thanks guys, lots of good info here. I'll have a good bit to read tonight, if I can find the time... I will have room for both in the smoker, and it crossed my mind. If I can find the right wood that will go with both, then that's what I'll do. I've done a little smoking here and there, but nothing as important as a holiday meal.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:35 am

Dan0rex wrote:Thanks guys, lots of good info here. I'll have a good bit to read tonight, if I can find the time... I will have room for both in the smoker, and it crossed my mind. If I can find the right wood that will go with both, then that's what I'll do. I've done a little smoking here and there, but nothing as important as a holiday meal.

I really like pecan! It will work very well with both the turkey and the ham.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:56 am

I like to use a mix of pecan and apple wood for double smoked hams and turkeys.
Jim
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:30 pm

The above wood advice is good just stick with mild flavored woods avoid the likes of hickory or mesquite. I usually use oak and may mix in a little of something else. The best I ever had was an unknown wood that I think was maple. I never got to try maple again so I just don't know.
tarde venientibus ossa....
Dan0rex
Pilgrim

Postby Dan0rex » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:55 am

I've been reading a lot about it, and I think I'm gonna go with oak, and pecan. I was thinking about maple because of the ham, and I'm sure it wouldn't be bad with the turkey either, so I may do that instead of the pecan. I'm kinda stuck between a couple brines right now, and I'm gonna have to try them on just a couple turkey breasts first.

Return to “Request a Recipe”