Mole Poblano

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

sterno USER_AVATAR
Sterno
Cowboy

Mole Poblano

Postby Sterno » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:25 am

Any recipes for Mexican Mole Poblano sauce?

I saw a documentary about Mexican food and this sauce looked like something I really might enjoy.

Wikipedia says about Mole Poblano:

Code: Select all

Mole poblano, whose name comes from the Mexican state of Puebla, is a popular sauce in Mexican cuisine and is the mole that most people in the U.S. think of when they think of mole.

Mole poblano is prepared with dried chili peppers (commonly ancho, pasilla, mulato and chipotle), ground nuts and/or seeds (almonds, indigenous peanuts, and/or sesame seeds), spices, Mexican chocolate (cacao ground with sugar and cinnamon and occasionally nuts), salt, and a variety of other ingredients including charred avocado leaves, onions, and garlic. Dried seasonings such as ground oregano are also used. In order to provide a rich thickness to the sauce, bread crumbs or crackers are added to the mix.

Ingredients sounds lovely, but I have no idea how to make it... just boil'em all together? :)

Sterno
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Re: Mole Poblano

Postby OSD » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:29 am

I would bet that mgwerks has a good recipe and how to make it. Try PMing him. He's into authentic Mexican recipes.
Jim
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:22 am

I haven't tried it but here is one on the food network

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/40-a ... index.html
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:15 am

I've been thinking about trying a mole ever since I saw Rick Bayless win Top Chef Master, partly due to his mole. A couple days later he said in an article I found online that it took him 27 years to perfect his recipe for mole. He said he won't publish the recipe because it can't be reproduced from paper -that it needs to be taught. He gave the example of "toasting pumpkin seeds till black but not burnt". That said, I still want to try a mole soon, but I don't have 27 years to tinker with it. :lol:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: Molé Poblano

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:49 am

I'd like to get a good recipe too, when we lived in Nebraska we frequented a Mexican family restaurant and one of our favorites there was their molé. They served it over vermicelli. We haven't been back for several years but when we went we had to plan our route so my my wife could get her molé hit......

here are a couple that I found:

Mole De Poblano Recipe...

1 lg. chicken, jointed
2 onions
3 cloves garlic
1 tbsp. lard
1-1/2 oz. mulato chilies
1-1/2 oz. ancho chilies
1 oz. pasilla chilis
2 md. onions
2 cloves garlic
6 tomatoes. chopped
1-1/2 oz. blanched almonds
1-1/2 oz. dry roast peanuts
1-1/2 oz. sesame seeds
12 corn tortillas
1/2 tsp. coriander
1/2 tsp. aniseeds
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1-1/2 oz. dark chocolate
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 tsp. sugar

Put the chicken pieces in a pan with the onions and garlic, cover with water, bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes or until the chicken is almost cooked.
Drain off and reserve the stock, and dry the chicken pieces.
Melt the lard in a heavy based pan and gently fry the chicken pieces on all sides until they are lightly tanned.

Meanwhile, remove the stems and seeds from the chilis, tear them up and soak the pieces in 300ml boiling water for 30 minutes.
Then pureé the chilis with their water, the onions, garlic, tomatoes, nuts and seeds, spices, seasoning and chocolate.
Remove the chicken pieces from the pan and pour off any excess fat.
Fry the puree in the remaining lard for a few minutes, then add the meat with enough of the chicken stock for the sauce just to cover the meat, and continue to simmer gently for 30 minutes, or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
** Ideally the mole should be put aside for 24 hours at this point to allow the flavours to develop.
When you are ready to serve the mole, reheat it, adjust the seasoning to taste, and add a little sugar if you feel it necessary.
Serve it with plenty of tortillas, white rice, beans and guacamole.

Green Tomatillo Mole Recipe...

3 oz Hulled raw pumpkin seeds OR 3 oz Pine nuts
3 c Chicken stock (no salt)
3/4 lb Tomatillos, husked & washed
2 Jalapenos or serranos (2-3)
1/2 Medium onion, rough chopped
3 Garlic cloves, rough chopped
4 Cilantro sprigs (4-5)
1/4 t Cumin seeds or ground cumin
3/4 Inch cinnamon stick OR
3/4 t Ground cinnamon
2 Whole cloves OR pinch ground
5 Lg Romaine lettuce leaves OR
5 Leaf lettuce leaves
Salt to taste
1 T Safflower or sunflower oil

Toast the Pumpkin (or Pine) seeds in a dry frying pan, shaking pan or stirring constantly until they are browned and toasty (for pine nuts) or until they have browned and popped (for pumpkin seeds).
Remove from the heat and transfer to a blender jar if you're using pine nuts or to a bowl if you're using pumpkin seeds.
If you're using pine nuts, blend with 1 cup of the stock until smooth, then strain through a medium-mesh strainer.
If you're using pumpkin seeds, pulverize in a spice mill in batches and sift into a bowl.
Stir in 1 cup of the stock and mix well. Set aside.
Simmer tomatillos in water to cover with the chilies (remove stems, seeds and membranes from chilies) and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
Drain and place in the blender jar. Add the onion, garlic, and cilantro.
Grind the spices in a spice mill and add to the blender jar.
Add the lettuce leaves and salt.
Blend until the mixture is smooth.
Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan or casserole over medium heat.
Add the nut or seed mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes.
Add the tomatillo mixture and cook again, stirring for about 5 to 10 minutes, until the mixture is thick.
Stir in the remaining 2 cups chicken stock, bring to a simmer, cover partially, and simmer for 30 minutes.
Taste and correct seasonings.
If the mixture seems too thick, stir in a little more chicken stock.

Yield: About 3 cups sauce.
Serve with grilled or poached chicken breasts as main course. Use as a dip with crudites, as a topping for nachos or enchiladas.
Add lime or lemon juice or vinegar and use as a salad dressing. Sauce freezes well.
tarde venientibus ossa....
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:28 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:I've been thinking about trying a mole ever since I saw Rick Bayless win Top Chef Master, partly due to his mole. A couple days later he said in an article I found online that it took him 27 years to perfect his recipe for mole. He said he won't publish the recipe because it can't be reproduced from paper -that it needs to be taught. He gave the example of "toasting pumpkin seeds till black but not burnt". That said, I still want to try a mole soon, but I don't have 27 years to tinker with it. :lol:

I've eaten at Frontera Grill Chicago many times... I've also traveled extensively all over Mexico... I'll take Rick's cuisine! I would love to know how he makes his mole!
sterno USER_AVATAR
Sterno
Cowboy

Postby Sterno » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:39 am

Thanks everyone, excellent tips!

I tried now ready made moles and I'm hooked. I just ordered Rick's book, which should have the famous Mole recipe. Can't wait to get it.

http://www.rickbayless.com/cookbooks/au ... xican.html

Cheers,
Sterno
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:08 pm

That is a good read. You'll like the book. But, his mole recipe will not be in it or any of his books. He has said that's his one recipe he will not publish.

Same as what DATs said the other day.......

DATsBBQ wrote:
I've been thinking about trying a mole ever since I saw Rick Bayless win Top Chef Master, partly due to his mole. A couple days later he said in an article I found online that it took him 27 years to perfect his recipe for mole. He said he won't publish the recipe because it can't be reproduced from paper -that it needs to be taught. He gave the example of "toasting pumpkin seeds till black but not burnt". That said, I still want to try a mole soon, but I don't have 27 years to tinker with it. :lol:
Jim
sterno USER_AVATAR
Sterno
Cowboy

Postby Sterno » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:20 pm

Oh yes, true .. but I read that the book has at least some mole recipe :)

Yes this book was praised everywhere I checked, so it really sounds like a good read for learning more about authentic Mexican cooking.

Sterno

Return to “Request a Recipe”