Seafood Garlic Butter

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Seafood Garlic Butter

Postby tex_toby » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:40 am

OK - I've winged making garlic butter sauce for my seafood many times by melting butter in the microwave and adding some garlic to the mix. It works, but it's not the same restaurant taste I want. The butter usually begins to separate, and just really isn't the same. I picked up a few lobster tails at Albertson's the other day on sale and I want to do them up RIGHT. What am I doing wrong here?
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Re: Seafood Garlic Butter

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:18 pm

Clarify the butter. :wink:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:38 pm

Here is what I do... Take a whole head of garlic and seperate the cloves. Whack the cloves with the side of a knife to crack 'em and remove the paper. Melt a stick of butter in a small sauce pan and add the cracked cloves to it. Slowly simmer the cloves in the butter until they are soft. Remove cloves (save them for something like mashed taters) and you will have the best, and pungent, garlic butter!
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:36 pm

Add the garlic like James says to this method:
http://www.cookingforengineers.com/arti ... -Butter-II
High end eateries always use clarified butter, especially for scampi.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
pony express USER_AVATAR
Pony Express
Outlaw

Postby Pony Express » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:44 pm

Thats a very interesting method for clarifing butter. Thanks Dave
Charmglo gasser,
New Braunfels offset smoker
Custom trailer pit offset smoker

Git-er done
GIG EM
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:46 pm

Clarified butter is butter that has had the milk solids and water removed. One advantage of clarified butter is that it has a much higher smoke point than regular butter, so you can cook with it at higher temperatures without it browning and burning. Also, without the milk solids, clarified butter can be kept for much longer without going rancid.

It is very easy to make clarified butter. Melt the butter slowly. Let it sit for a bit to separate. Skim off the foam that rises to the top, and gently pour the butter off of the milk solids, which have settled to the bottom. A stick (8 tablespoons) of butter will produce about 6 tablespoons of clarified butter.

The best method is to simmer the butter, garlic, and sweet basil in a saucepan until the mixture separates. After the water has evaporated, the milk solids will begin to fry in the clear butterfat. When they begin to turn golden, remove the pan from the heat and pour the butter through a fine strainer lined with damp cheesecloth into a heatproof container. If the cheesecloth is damp, all the butterfat will pass through, otherwise some will be absorbed by the cloth. This method produces a clearer result.

2 sticks of unsalted butter
2 cloves of minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon sweet basil

Most restaurants add a touch of sweet basil, dry white wine, or dry Vermouth. That's what gives the garlic butter it's special taste.

That being said, most seafood restaurants ( down here ) just serve plain clarified sweet cream butter with a lemon slice to squeeze the juice into the butter.

JWWFM-YMMV
Jim
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:48 pm

Geeze, I never even heard of clarified butter and now I can make it! :D What a great place!
But, garlic on lobster? :shock: and I love garlic.....might jus have to try it but have never seen it done up here. Then again, I usually eat Lobstah at home!!!
dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:18 pm

If your going to poach the garlic like I mentioned above and going to use the butter on seafood, ya better back way off the amount of garlic! I like to use my method to make up butter to use on garlic bread and such... Most always got garlic infused butter in the fridge for emergencies. :P
mgwerks USER_AVATAR
mgwerks
Bandolero

Postby mgwerks » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:54 am

Another great discussion on the forum! I don't use clarified butter fro many things, but sometimes it's a must. for a slightly different twist, you can try backing off on the garlic a bit (can't believe I said that!) and adding a touch of tarragon. Goes well with fish and fowl if you don't overdo it.
Visit my Cooking Blog.

The Armada:
22.5" WSM
MES 30" shorty
42"x24" & 36"x16" stick burners
1966 CharBroil charcoal grill
Weber 18 1/2" Silver
Sam's 32-inch Stainless gas grill (it was free!)

Return to “Request a Recipe”