German Spatzle Recipe ??

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

brandon schick USER_AVATAR
Brandon Schick
Rustler

German Spatzle Recipe ??

Postby Brandon Schick » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:18 pm

Anyone have a good one??
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:14 pm

Typically we make them out of just flour and eggs adding salt, pepper and nutmeg (all optional ) to taste for the final use. Drop the dough through a spaetzle sieve into boiling salted water it will float when done just a couple minutes. Then saute them in butter and serve. One of my favorites is with butter fried cherries and sour cream. also good with marinara sauce, or a cream sauce and of course they are good just like they come outta da pan.

We have some more American Germans on the forum as well as some still in the motherland maybe we can get some more input.
tarde venientibus ossa....
Brandon Schick
Rustler

Postby Brandon Schick » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:20 pm

Thanks Papa.

That is basiclly the way I do it. Never had luck with the sieve thing though. I twist the batter in like a rope shape and pinch of 1-2 inches or so and drop them in boiling water. I also add chopped up bacon and fry for a few minutes in teh excess bacon greas and drain.

Have you ever been to Eidelweise in Fort Worth ?? Awesome German food and Bernt is a heck of a guy !!
Last edited by Brandon Schick on Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:25 pm

No actually haven't been to any German restaurants in the DFW area. I'll have to give it a try.

The dough we make is pretty runny it will almost drain through the sieve but use the block to push it through to a couple inches long and just hold it over the water and cut em off with a knife.
tarde venientibus ossa....
Brandon Schick
Rustler

Postby Brandon Schick » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:43 pm

I'll have to give it a try.

If you like German food its a must !! Its off of the traffic circle in FW out by the Naval base. Ill see if I can find their website.

Return to “Request a Recipe”