Help with sauce-still tastes like fancy ketchup!

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Wyatt Earp
Pilgrim

Help with sauce-still tastes like fancy ketchup!

Postby Wyatt Earp » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:38 pm

Hi everyone

Hopefully you can help me. I have made the sauce recipes from Fire and Spice, Peace, love and BBQ and Raichlens books. They all taste like fancy ketchup to me and not even close to a store sauce. I follow the recipes to a T using the best ingredients. I'm not looking for your secret sauce recipe I am just tired of horrible tasting sauces. Should I simmer for more than 10 minutes? Any tips would be appreciated. I personally like thick,sweet and spicy sauces. I am at my wits end with experimenting. I have probably tried 20 recipes so far.
Regards,
Wyatt
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:24 am

What commercial sauces are you trying to emulate? I sill make some sauces from time to time, but I've found out that it's usually cheaper for me just to buy what I like... You miss the satisfaction of making your own but...

I'm sure some of the more astute sauce makers will be along to help ya out.
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:36 am

Wyatt - what flavor profile are you looking for + what is not working on the recipes you have tried thus far?

If you want it thick, you may need to either cook it down or add a thickener, like xanthan gum, to attain your desired consistency.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
Wyatt Earp
Pilgrim

Postby Wyatt Earp » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:07 pm

Gator wrote:Wyatt - what flavor profile are you looking for + what is not working on the recipes you have tried thus far?

If you want it thick, you may need to either cook it down or add a thickener, like xanthan gum, to attain your desired consistency.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies. You are definitely right in that buying my favorite sauces is cheaper than making them. Unfortunately I live overseas for part of the year and finding real BBQ sauce is not happening so I have to try and make it to get my fix. Actually it doesn't have to be that thick. Commercial sauces I like are Cattleman's, Sonny's spicy, a sauce called Kinder's and possibly KC Masterpiece. I know a lot of people find these sauces horrible but they taste good to me. Most common base I'm working from is:

1/2 cup Karo or Brown sugar
1/2 cup either Heinz or Hunts
1/2 cup vinegar (white or seasoned rice)
1 TBSP Molasses
1/8 cup Worcestershire
1/8 cup water
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cayenne

Simmer for about 10 minutes let cool
This is as best as I can do and it still tastes off.
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:25 pm

When mine tastes "too much like ketcup" thats a sure sign there is too much tomato in the recipe (for my taste).

Also, I prefer using tomato paste and water with my BBQ Sauce recipe.

Am I making sense here? :?:
Gator

Wyatt Earp
Pilgrim

Postby Wyatt Earp » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:27 pm

Gator wrote:When mine tastes "too much like ketcup" thats a sure sign there is too much tomato in the recipe (for my taste).

Am I making sense here? :?:

Perfect sense! Can you critique the above mixture?
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:38 pm

Wyatt Earp wrote:
Gator wrote:Wyatt - what flavor profile are you looking for + what is not working on the recipes you have tried thus far?

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies. You are definitely right in that buying my favorite sauces is cheaper than making them. Unfortunately I live overseas for part of the year and finding real BBQ sauce is not happening so I have to try and make it to get my fix. Actually it doesn't have to be that thick. Commercial sauces I like are Cattleman's, Sonny's spicy, a sauce called Kinder's and possibly KC Masterpiece. I know a lot of people find these sauces horrible but they taste good to me. Most common base I'm working from is:

1 TBSP Molasses
1/8 cup Worcestershire
1/8 cup water
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cayenne

I would use brown sugar and regular (5%) white vinegar...I would go somewhere in the 2:1 mixture of tomato paste to water, vinegar, sugar ingredinets. For example: 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup vinegar, 1/2 cup water and 1/4 cup tomato paste...then follow the rest and see where you come out.

BUT - hey thats just me, everyone lis different. This would be closer to Cattlemans than KC masterpeice (i think). I dont really use either one of those. We have some KC guys on here that would be better qualified to comment on those recipes.
Gator

Wyatt Earp
Pilgrim

Postby Wyatt Earp » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:52 pm

Gator wrote:
Wyatt Earp wrote:

Hi Guys

1 TBSP Molasses
1/8 cup Worcestershire
1/8 cup water
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cayenne

I would use brown sugar and regular (5%) white vinegar...I would go somewhere in the 2:1 mixture of tomato paste to water, vinegar, sugar ingredinets. For example: 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup vinegar, 1/2 cup water and 1/4 cup tomato paste...then follow the rest and see where you come out.

BUT - hey thats just me, everyone lis different. This would be closer to Cattlemans than KC masterpeice (i think). I dont really use either one of those. We have some KC guys on here that would be better qualified to comment on those recipes.

Gator I just appreciate the help. As long as any sauce I made thick or thin tasted good I would be ecstatic at this point! I will take any recipe.
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:12 pm

I gave up on sauce making many moons ago. We really like Texas Rib Ranger's Spicy on everything..but aint real picky. I even like brisket slices dunked down into Big Bob Gibson's Alabammy White sauce..which is mayonaisse based or least got a lot in there. I will post you some recipes over in the recipe section.

bigwheel
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Postby Stan41 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:11 pm

I like this sauce once in a while. It is different.
PLANTATION BARBECUE SAUCE
1 (6 Oz. can Tomato Paste)
1 cup water
1/4 cup Buttery Flavor Oil
1/2 cup bottled steak sauce (Heinz)
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup minced onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. Tabasco Sauce

In saucepan combine all ingredients; simmer 15 min. Use as basting sauce for poultry, beef, spareribs, frankfurters. Makes 2-1/2 cups
Stan
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:53 pm

I think I'd cut the vinegar in half (for beef or chicken, leave for pork) and add a tablespoon of good chili powder and a tablespoon of liquid smoke. Cook for a half hour or until desired viscosity then let it set overnight.
If this change is satisfactory try adding a little lemon or orange juice or zest.
Brown sugar is white sugar mixed with molasses just a tidbit.

Another tidbit. I used to make a variety of sauces for concession gigs to see what recipe got the most favorable comments. The recipe where I just added more heat to one of the standard types always seemed to get the best comments. Also once I made some with added horseradish (for brisket sammys) and it got good comments.
tarde venientibus ossa....
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:33 pm

Everyone's responses seem right on, but one thing I always add to my sauces, is a big old squirt of plain yellow mustard! Just adds that extra tang for me. And I tend to use red pepper flakes over cayenne......I usually start adding everything to the pot and add ketchup at the end to my taste. Didn't see garlic in your recipe either, and I always add garlic powder, even if it's just a dash or so.
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
dub'
Cowboy

Postby dub' » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:18 pm

BBQ sauce from a restaurant usually has meat drippings in it,which makes it taste better and makes it impossible to preserve. Bottled sauces usually have that nasty liquid smoke stuff in them.
I like this recipe-lotsa big powerful flavors here-the smoke flavor comes from the Chipotles Adobo:

Chef Juke's Raspberry-Chipotle Barbecue Sauce

6 Tbls. packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar (i vote for brown over white!)
1/4 cup molasses (or so)
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce(i'd double this)
2 Tbls dark rum (at least!)
2 Tbls yellow mustard (i like more)
1 Tbls pure chili powder (i'd omit this-the chipotles are hot enough)
2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. ground allspice
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 cup Chipotles en Adobo(slurried up good in a food procesor)
2 cups ketchup
2 cups Raspberry Preserves(seedless Smuckers is what I use)
Kosher or sea salt

In large saucepan, combine sugar, vinegar, molasses, Worcestershire, rum, mustard, chili powder, pepper, garlic powder, allspice and cloves. Bring to simmer over medium heat. Cook, uncovered, until all ingredients are dissolved, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes. Stir in ketchup and bring to boil, stirring constantly. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Reduce heat slightly, add raspberry jam and 1/4 cup chipotles** and gently simmer sauce, uncovered, until dark & thick, about 30 minutes, stirring often. Use right away or transfer to jars, cover, cool to room temperature and refrigerate. Sauce will keep several months. Makes 5 cups or 20 servings.

NOTES:
**Add the chipotle peppers to taste. Since simmering will bring out the heat in the peppers start by adding ¼ cup of chipotles and cook for the 30 minutes THEN taste again and add additional peppers if you like it REALLY HOT.

Guaranteed NOT to taste like fancy ketchup!
Wyatt Earp
Pilgrim

Re: Help with sauce-still tastes like fancy ketchup!

Postby Wyatt Earp » Wed May 13, 2009 3:32 pm

Here is the sauce I have been working on. Nothing special, I like sweet heat type of sauces only I still have the problem of it tasting like a vinegary ketchup base. Comes out tasting like sweet ketchup. Anything else you guys can think of would be appreciated. I simmer the sauce for about an hour.

2 cups ketchup
3/4 brown sugar
3/4 cup water
1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
3 TBSP Worcestershire
drop of liquid smoke
1 TSP Cayenne
1/2 TSP onion powder
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Re: Help with sauce-still tastes like fancy ketchup!

Postby SteerCrazy » Wed May 13, 2009 3:38 pm

Wyatt,
why not sub the ketchup for tomato paste like Gator mentioned above. That might cut some of your ketchup-y taste. I like a sweet thick sauce but I don't bother makin 'em myself. Too many good brands out there :D

Return to “Request a Recipe”