Banana Peppers

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Allie

Banana Peppers

Postby Allie » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:52 pm

We've been getting a lot of banana peppers out of the garden. Sometimes when I don't have bell peppers I cook with them but this year the bells have also flourished. I've been dicing the bells and freezing for use in recipes this winter but am not really sure what to do with the banana peppers.

We like the pickled pepper rings but the recipes I keep seeing call for sugar and spices. I don't think what we get at the store has that many spices and they definitely aren't sweet....more vinegary than anything.

Any suggestions?
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:36 pm

Well nearly any pickled type veggie I ever heard about needs some sugar to sorta take a little bite out of the vinegar...tame it down a bit etc. I would find a plausible looking recipe and go with the sugar it calls for..just skip the spices yall aint fond of. Here is one I swiped from somewhere and tweaked up a bit for Chow Chow. Mighty tasty in my book. Don't see why it wouldn't work just about as well for pickled Nanner Peppa rings.

bigwheel

>All this junk was said somewhere else one time.

Well ever since one of my old cooking chums and his Mama come in 1st place at the Texas State Fair on their relish entry and I happen to have snagged a small sample I have been craving such stuff so decided to make some Chow Chow. After scouring the internet and looking at a bunch of recipes (most of which called for green tomaters of which I didnt have any) I settled for the one below which dont use green tomaters. Now I coulda bought some for 3 bucks a pound but I didnt want em that bad.

Original recipe for this can be found right here where it goes by Sweet Southern Chow-Chow. Yankees prob like the original mo betta cuz it aint got no heat to it.

http://www.mtnlaurel.com/Recipes/chowchow.htm

The version below got tweaked up a bit. Me and fella from Klose's forum both made it and found it highly fittin and fairly easy to make. Use a grinder. That is too much junk to run through a small food processor.

bigwheel

Sweet-Warmish Texanized Southern Chow Chow
Ingredients:

2 largish heads green cabbage
3 big white onyawns
4 bell peppas (2 green and 2 red)
6 split and deseeded fresh japs
4 Tablespoons kosher salt

Combine chopped vegetables and sprinkle with salt. Let stand 4 to 6 hours in the refrigerator. Drain well.

Combine the following ingredients and simmer 10 minutes. Use a pot large enough to put the vegetable mix in later.

4 cups vinegar (I used 2 cups each apple cider vinegar and white)
3 cups sugar
4 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon ground ginger
4 teaspoons celery seeds
4 teaspoons mustard seed
2 teaspoons cayenne

Add vegetables to vinegar-sugar-spice mixture and simmer another 10 minutes. Bring to a boil. Then pack, boiling hot, into clean, heated canning jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Place canning lids and rings on jars and tighten. Sit the jars upright in a big stew pot and cover with 2" of water. Bring up the heat gentle and let it boil fairly vigorous for 10 mins with a lid. Makes 5 quarts.

bigwheel

__._,_.___

SPONSORED LINKS Barbecue cooking Grilling barbecue Grilling
Barbecue chicken recipe Barbecue ribs recipe
Allie

Postby Allie » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:35 am

Thanks Uncle BW! I don't think I've ever had chow chow before so will have to take your word for it being like what I'm thinking. I don't have any turmeric so will have to buy some this weekend. Otherwise, I think I'm good to try the recipe.
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:01 pm

Should be able to find the tumeric in the spice section of any good sized store. It very good for your health. Some studies have shown ingesting tumeric on a regular basis prevents cancer. Thats why you hardly ever see Red Dots with cancer. I take a teaspoon full daily and wash it down with a beer.

bigwheel

Return to “Request a Recipe”