Venison Or Goose Anyone?

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jlabolt USER_AVATAR
jlabolt
Rustler

Venison Or Goose Anyone?

Postby jlabolt » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:15 pm

Recently had some people offer me a few venison roasts and a goose or two. Haven't ever ate goose, but I'm sure I'll like it. Anyways, they want me to come up with a good smoking recipe. Anybody ever smoked either of these? I smoke turkeys here and there, so I think the goose I can come up with. However, the low fat content of a venison roast, I think would make it more difficult to keep moist during a long smoke. Any and all ideas much appreciated.
bigwheel
Outlaw

Re: Venison Or Goose Anyone?

Postby bigwheel » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:45 pm

Think someboy is jacking with ya. Gooses should be shot and left to lay in the wheatfield they is busy destroying so to give the Coyotes a little bite to eat. Venison is best ground and mixed at least 50/50 with some nice fat Boston Butts to make sausage...or else cut into steaks and have the snot pounded out of both sides with the sharp edge of an Old Hickory butcher knife and turned into Chicken Fried Steak. I got some good Chicken Fried Steak recipes in case you need one. Hope this helps.

bigwheel

Ps..Woops edit...dont forget about venison jerky either. It very good. I show you how to make that too if you want.

Pps..Dont even get me started on Carne Guisada and venison stew..yum yum. We could be here all night:)

jlabolt wrote:Recently had some people offer me a few venison roasts and a goose or two. Haven't ever ate goose, but I'm sure I'll like it. Anyways, they want me to come up with a good smoking recipe. Anybody ever smoked either of these? I smoke turkeys here and there, so I think the goose I can come up with. However, the low fat content of a venison roast, I think would make it more difficult to keep moist during a long smoke. Any and all ideas much appreciated.
Last edited by bigwheel on Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:47 pm

I've roasted many a goose (honker) on a weber kettle using indirect heat and drip pan. Drape the bird with bacon slices. Good eats for sure.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:09 am

The venison is real lean, so if you smoke it, be sure to lay some bacon over it and don't over cook it..to medium only, and I would smoke it with hotter temps.
A roast, I usually use a crock pot, with some potatoes, carrots and onions.

When I used to cook goose...I would always just filet out the breast and grill it. Again to medium.

Back when I use to hunt, I didn't do any smoke cooking, so not too big of help here...just throwing out some thoughts.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
RonH
Rustler

Postby RonH » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:03 am

Had some jerky made out of goose Good stuff
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:07 am

Hmmm never thought of the goose jerky thing..but have heard of Emu jerky so guess it couldnt be much different.

bigwheel
jlabolt USER_AVATAR
jlabolt
Rustler

Postby jlabolt » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:52 pm

How'd you season the bird, Dats?
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:18 pm

Goose jerky??? Who'da thunk it...

Return to “Request a Recipe”