Need Help on Table Sauce Recipe

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

the amarilloan USER_AVATAR
The Amarilloan
Pilgrim

Need Help on Table Sauce Recipe

Postby The Amarilloan » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:02 am

Howdy Ya'll,

I was in Amarillo the other week and went to all the best BBQ places. Each place had a table sauce that was just great. (To me anyway and the hordes of people eatin there seemed to like 'em too.)

In case anyone lives there or knows Amarillo, my favorite places are Beans&Things, Dyers, and The Hickory Pit (fomerly Hickory Stick). Cattlecall ain't bad neither.

The sauce seems to be a simple one, catsup based probably. It's light, not sweet, spicey and just brings me to tears on a perfectly smoked beef or pork sandwich. Man, that's livin.

There is nothing like it store bought I know of.

Does anyone have any secrets to share? I can make better meat than the restaurants, but I'm missin on the sauce.

Much obliged! :D
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:42 am

I'm toying with one right now. So far got 2 cans of diced tomatoes, one chopped Anahiem pepper, 1 tablespoon of dehyrated chopped onion in a double boiler. We'll see where it goes :shock:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:50 pm

Well it going to far. Mater's failed to get to the mush point so I employed a blender. Then added various ingredients and so far its far from blue ribbone material :?

Someone should show up soon with a real sauce recipe :wink:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:26 pm

Well this is the first I ever heard of Armadillo having any decent bbq. You sure about this? That generally considered steak country. They aint got no trees..How do they make edible bbq?

bigwheel
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:37 pm

Well, It would be hard to tell without tasting your sauce, but you could start off with equal parts ketchup, white vinegar and sugar and throw in some of the usual suspects for spices. Pare back on the sugar if you dont like the sweet. You will prolly either need a thickener or cook it down on the stove until it thickens up...hope this helps. I like these types of sauces, especially on REEEBS. :wink:
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
BAR "G" BBQ
Outlaw

Postby BAR "G" BBQ » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:36 pm

This makes a decent table sauce.
(32 OZ.) CATSUP
(1/2) CUP BROWN SUGAR
(1/2) TEASPOON TOBASSCO SAUCE
(1) TEASPOON CHILI POWDER
(1/4) TEASPOON GROUND CAYENNE PEPPER
(1) TEASPOON FINE GROUND MUSTARD
(1) TEASPOON GARLIC SALT
(1) TEASPOON RESTAURANT GROUND BLACK PEPPER
(3) TABLESPOONS WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE
(2) TABLESPOONS RED WINE VINEGAR
(2) TABLESPOONS LIQUID HICKORY SMOKE
(2) CUPS WATER

COMBINE ALL INGREDIENTS IN A SAUCE PAN AND STIR UNTIL WELL BLENDED. COVER AND SIMMER FOR 30 TO 45 MINUTES. SERVE WARM OR PLACE SAUCE IN SEALED CONTAINER AND REFRIGATE FOR FUTURE USE. SAUCE CAN BE PLACED IN A HOT WATER BATH FOR 30 MINUTES AND STORED UNREFRIGATED.
BAR "G"
cowboylikeme USER_AVATAR
Cowboylikeme
Pilgrim

Re: Need Help on Table Sauce Recipe

Postby Cowboylikeme » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:56 pm

I heard Beans N Things sold out to a new owner.... The old owner is a friend of my dads, her husband is also the guy that owns and operates The LoneStar Bar and Grill on the claude hwy.... and for great bbq, try Big Daddys out on Hastings and River Road... It used to be wesleys bbq, but for some reason they changed names but its still same owners. Dunno why, but its still great bbq.

As far as a store bought sauce similar to the bbq joints sauces, try Absolutely Wild. Its a thinner sauce thats verryyyyyyyy good. They also have Absolutely Mild and Mildly wild....... All are great. I know Wally world and United supermarkets carry them. usually around 3.99 a bottle.
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Postby Stan41 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:46 pm

Here's a sauce recipe I copied from a magazine about 30 years ago. I like to make a batch of it up sometimes.

PLANTATION BARBECUE SAUCE
1- 6 Oz. can Tomato Paste
1 cup water
1/4 cup Butter Flavored Oil
1/2 cup bottled steak sauce (Heinz)
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup minced onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. Tabasco Sauce

In saucepan combine all ingredients; simmer 15 min. Use as basting sauce or table sauce. Makes 2-1/2 cups

Stan41
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
ftby00 USER_AVATAR
Ftby00
Cowboy

Postby Ftby00 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:52 pm

I am working on getting the recipe of Dyers bbq sauce. A friend of mine that I went to school with was a manager for them for a few years. He now lives down in the Houston area. As soon as I get it and try it out at home I will post a thread on here about it.

Cattle Call has to have the worst Q I have ever eaten anywhere. I have had them twice and both times I couldnt finish my meal.

Dyers is probably the best for me around these parts if we are eating out. For the best Q IMHO, has to be mine here at the house!!!

For one of the best steaks here in Amarillo it has to be the Lone Star Bar and Grill on the Claude hwy.
Here's Smoke In Your Eyes!!!

Oklahoma Joes
Custom Smoker Trailer
Brinkman Gasser

Shawn

Return to “Request a Recipe”