Salsa recipe similar to La Hacienda Ranch?

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

opus
Pilgrim

Salsa recipe similar to La Hacienda Ranch?

Postby opus » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:52 pm

Just wondering if anyone has a salsa recipe that comes close to what you get at La Hacienda Ranch. I've tried a few I found on the web that looked close but they were no where near as good. I've also been trying to replicate Chili's salsa (daughter's favorite) with no luck. Tried a couple of the "copy cat" recipes I found online but she said they didn't taste anything like Chili's.

Can you tell I bought a food processor recently? I"m experimenting with salsas and the wife is making frozen drinks!
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Salsa recipe similar to La Hacienda Ranch?

Postby Rambo » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:08 pm

LOL. I've got a good one we like but I don't have any idea about those you named off.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:30 pm

I'm with Rambo but Good Luck with this and be sure and share if you find a winner :cheers: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
emradguy USER_AVATAR
emradguy
Wrangler

Postby emradguy » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:47 pm

Rambo wrote:LOL. I've got a good one we like but I don't have any idea about those you named off.

Ditto
opus
Pilgrim

Postby opus » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:07 pm

Rambo wrote:LOL. I've got a good one we like but I don't have any idea about those you named off.

I didn't think about them being local. La Hacinda is a local place in the the DFW area. I think they are part of the family that claims to have invented the margarita machine. Anyway, their salsa is a dark color and has a slight smokey taste to it. They are my favorite place to get steak fajitas. Theirs is always very tender unlike most places where it seems half the meat is way to chewy and fatty. Her is a pic of their salsa, it is the one in front. On the other salsa I mentioned in my OP, it is the chain restaurant Chili's. We always have to get the unlimited chips and salsa when we go and that is my daughters meal. She could drink the stuff.
Attachments
salsa.jpg
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:33 am

The darker one has been charred
strength_and_pow
Cowboy

Postby strength_and_pow » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:30 am

I have made a smoked salsa where I blanched the tomatoes and gave everything a rough chop, set on a couple of wire racks and basically cold smoked with an Amazen smoke tube for a few hours then blended and it had a nice smoky flavor and a darker color. It was good the first day but even better the second. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pwhite
Pilgrim

Postby pwhite » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:11 am

strength_and_pow wrote:I have made a smoked salsa where I blanched the tomatoes and gave everything a rough chop, set on a couple of wire racks and basically cold smoked with an Amazen smoke tube for a few hours then blended and it had a nice smoky flavor and a darker color. It was good the first day but even better the second. Image

sounds good
opus
Pilgrim

Postby opus » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:21 pm

strength_and_pow wrote:I have made a smoked salsa where I blanched the tomatoes and gave everything a rough chop, set on a couple of wire racks and basically cold smoked with an Amazen smoke tube for a few hours then blended and it had a nice smoky flavor and a darker color. It was good the first day but even better the second.

I tried something similar a few weeks ago. Put everything on my pellet grill for a couple of hours at 200. I didn't get any charring and my sauce was still very red. It was way too smokey flavored for me. La Hacienda's has just a slight hint of smoke. Maybe I will try your way on a grill. I've read that adding adobe sauce can give it that smokey flavor. I tried it also and wasn't impressed though it was my wife's favorite so far.

Last night I tried a recipe with tomatillos in it. Roasted all the veggies (guess the tomatillos are really a fruit) for 25 minutes. The sauce was still very red, I was expecting a more greenish color from the tomatillos.

I have found that it is cheaper to just buy the jar stuff than make it yourself. We have a local guy that makes salsa and has actually gotten our local Walmart to stock it. It is probably my favorite jarred salsa I can find locally. Really like a salsa from Casa Manana but I don't think you can buy it outside Lake Charles, LA.
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:58 pm

It’s been a good while since I’ve eaten there but I believe the dark salsa is Ancho chilies possibly some chipotle and Adobo. Would explain the color and smoke flavor.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
strength_and_pow
Cowboy

Postby strength_and_pow » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:22 pm

Spicy V8 juice is a good mixer to get your salsa thinner. Can’t remember where I read that tip but it’s proven itself

k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:48 am

I am a pretty simple guy when it comes to salsa. Years ago a little place in Bracketville Texas called The Krazy Chicken had a salsa that was awesome. I asked the lady for the recipe and was surprised. Roasted jalapenos and whole canned tomatoes that's it. I now make my own using 3 or 4 roasted jalapenos from my cast iron skillet and a large can of whole tomatoes. Roast the peppers place in processor seeds and all then add tomatoes. Blend it up then simmer in a pot for about five minutes.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
opus
Pilgrim

Postby opus » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:43 pm

k.a.m. wrote:I am a pretty simple guy when it comes to salsa. Years ago a little place in Bracketville Texas called The Krazy Chicken had a salsa that was awesome. I asked the lady for the recipe and was surprised. Roasted jalapenos and whole canned tomatoes that's it. I now make my own using 3 or 4 roasted jalapenos from my cast iron skillet and a large can of whole tomatoes. Roast the peppers place in processor seeds and all then add tomatoes. Blend it up then simmer in a pot for about five minutes.

It is amazing that most recipes I've seen are using canned everything. Just different in the type of tomatoes. Some call for roasted, some whole canned, some diced and some call for rotel. They even call for canned non-pickled jalapenos. You must like spicy like me. I put 1 jalapeno in my last recipe and the wife was saying it was too hot and I didn't think it had any heat. I'm about ready to call her a fake cajun!
opus
Pilgrim

Postby opus » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:46 pm

GTR wrote:It’s been a good while since I’ve eaten there but I believe the dark salsa is Ancho chilies possibly some chipotle and Adobo. Would explain the color and smoke flavor.

It has been a long time for me because I don't feel like waiting 2 hours to get a table. Plus they have gotten really expensive. I don't think nachos should cost $14.
opus
Pilgrim

Postby opus » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:48 pm

strength_and_pow wrote:I have made a smoked salsa where I blanched the tomatoes and gave everything a rough chop, set on a couple of wire racks and basically cold smoked with an Amazen smoke tube for a few hours then blended and it had a nice smoky flavor and a darker color. It was good the first day but even better the second.

Do you mind sharing the full recipe? I would love to give it a try. I haven't seen any with bell peppers in them.

Return to “Request a Recipe”