Help!! Egg/sausage casserole needed!

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Help!! Egg/sausage casserole needed!

Postby copkid » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:46 pm

First of all, a bit of info. Our high school hosts Indiana State Preliminary Winter Guard competition. This past Saturday was our day, except for the dang snow that kept about 31 Guards from competing. We are hosting the make-up day, and it will last from about 6am til noon. We are going to do breakfast biscuits sandwiches and I'm looking for a good egg/sausage casserole that we can bake in those large turkey size roasting pans. I can't find any recipes that don't include bread in the casserole of any kind!! :? We want to serve a egg/sausage/onion/green pepper casserole that we can bake, cut up and serve on biscuits for a warm breakfast sandwich.
Any help would be appreciated!!!!
TIA!
Laura
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:50 pm

Most of the recipes I've seen over the years for that kind of thing don't use sausage but instead use cubed ham. You won't have grease problems that way.

This from cooks.com

BAKED HAM AND EGG OMELET
Printed from COOKS.COM

12-16 slices American cheese
1 doz. eggs
2 c. milk
2 c. chopped ham
Salt & pepper to taste

Butter sides and bottom of 9 x 13 inch pan. Lay slices of cheese to cover bottom of pan. Beat eggs and milk until fluffy. Add ham and season to taste. Pour over cheese slices. Bake at 350 degrees, uncovered, 45-60 minutes. Cool 5 minutes and cut into squares. This recipe may be halved and put in 8 x 8 inch pan.

Can't see why you couldn't doctor is up with some bell peppers and onions
Last edited by DATsBBQ on Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:51 pm

Good luck, Laura. Only casseroles I know of, including mine, use bread. Sounds like you're looking for something like a baked omlet recipe.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:01 pm

I'm just looking for some recipes that can be baked and easily cut into little squares for sammies. Thanks for the recipe Dats! There could easily be around 300-400 people we need to feed Saturday morning in the space of around 4-5 hours, instead of the 12 hours we had last Saturday and we twiddled our thumbs most of the day!
We are also planning on selling a 'sack lunch' that kids/adults can buy and take on the bus for the trip home. They wanted to feed sandwiches for lunch, and I suggested sack lunches so they can buy, take on the buses and get the heck out of there!
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope

-Tacitus

papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:30 pm

From the web:

Sausage Egg Casserole

Yields: 12 servings

"Assemble the ingredients the night before, and bake this casserole in the morning. Stand back and wait for the compliments. I've made it with fat free cottage cheese, egg substitute, and reduced fat sausage; the taste is still wonderful!"
INGREDIENTS:
3/4 pound ground pork sausage
1 tablespoon butter
4 green onions, chopped
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
10 eggs, beaten
1 (16 ounce) container low-fat cottage cheese
1 pound Monterey Jack cheese, shredded 2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chile peppers,
drained

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter, melted

DIRECTIONS:
1. Place sausage in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Drain, and set aside. Melt butter in skillet, and cook and stir the green onions and mushrooms until tender.
2. In a large bowl, mix the eggs, cottage cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, and chiles. Stir in the sausage, green onions, and mushrooms. Cover, and refrigerate overnight.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
4. In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Blend in the melted butter. Stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
5. Bake 40 to 50 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Hearty Egg Casserole

Yields: 12 servings
"Here in the middle of cattle country, our days always seem to be busy. This dish is true to its name--it's filling and keeps us going all morning. We also like to serve it to guests to give them a taste of true country cooking."
INGREDIENTS:
1 pound bulk pork sausage
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped
spinach, thawed and well drained

1 (4.5 ounce) jar sliced mushrooms, drained
12 eggs
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
DIRECTIONS:
1. In a skillet, cook sausage and onion until the sausage is browned and the onion is tender; drain. Remove from the heat; stir in 1 cup cheese, spinach and mushrooms. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x
9-in. x 2-in. baking dish. In a bowl beat eggs. Add cream and nutmeg; mix well. Pour over sausage mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
tarde venientibus ossa....
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:41 pm

If I were doing sammies, I would cook the scrambled eggs with cheese on top seperate and cook the sausage patties in different pans. Then put the sammies together. Another thing to check is try doing a small batch of eggs in a similar type of pan. Sometimes when cooking eggs in an aluminum pan in the oven it can turn the eggs green depending on the type of pan. :D
Jim
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:56 pm

OSD wrote:If I were doing sammies, I would cook the scrambled eggs with cheese on top seperate and cook the sausage patties in different pans. Then put the sammies together. Another thing to check is try doing a small batch of eggs in a similar type of pan. Sometimes when cooking eggs in an aluminum pan in the oven it can turn the eggs green depending on the type of pan. :D

In that case I'd drop the sausage and go with ham.
tarde venientibus ossa....
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:10 pm

Good one PT. :lol: :lol:
Jim
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:20 pm

Another thing you could do is, if you have a recipe already that you like that has bread in it, leave out the bread and add a small amount of instant mashed potatoes to it to give it the bulk of the bread. They will take on the taste of everything in the casserole and not taste like potatoes. Or maybe use hashbrown potatoes instead of bread. :D
Jim
perryranch USER_AVATAR
perryranch
Cowboy

Postby perryranch » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:23 pm

Are you cooking this at the school. If so will you have access the the pans they use. I would do it the way OSD suggested except I would mix the eggs and put in a shallow pan and bake them then just cut to bit biscuit. I would also cook the sausages in the oven only because you can cook more that way. The way they do it our school is we have these really large pans that have a lip all the way around so they are about 3/4 of inch deep and they cook the eggs in that and just cut into squares. For the sausage they use the same type pan and put parchment paper down and cook sausage patties in the oven.

Oh and you can mix the cheese in with the eggs before cooking or put on top when you assemble the sammies.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:38 pm

Tami, you said what I was trying to say about cooking the eggs and sausage in separate pans. :D :D You explained it much better than I did. :D Thanks :wink:

Plus if you are doing it at the school you'll be able to use their big mixer for the eggs. Mixing 25 to 30 dozen eggs could make your arm sore. :shock: :D :lol:
Jim
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:55 pm

All really great ideas! The idea is cheap ingredients, yet provide everyone with nice hot breakfast sammies if they choose. Most do not eat until after they perform, (thank goodness! :puke: ) and then they are starving loonies!
Tami, we can use whatever we need in the kitchen, just have to clean it up! We cooked several things last Saturday, and it was alot of fun using the big equipment! 8) Everytime I was chopping something or using the big ovens, I felt like I should talk outloud like a FN star! Ha!! :lol: :P
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope

-Tacitus

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:19 pm

:idea: Here's an idea that would be easy enough. For every 4 sammies you would need 4 hotdog buns or croisants (sp?), 4 hard boiled eggs, 4 slices of cheese food (or real cheese) and a pound of breakfast sausage.

You got the idea :wink: Make scotch eggs, slice in half length wise, put on bread of choice that has been blessed with mayo and slap a piece of cheese on it. If you don't have a pit big enough to cook all the scotch-eggs, you could do 'em in an oven on the pans you mentioned earlier. (Add some liquid smoke)

You could make these up the night before and cook in the morning easy enough.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee

Return to “Request a Recipe”