Got a Pineapple...

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:18 pm

OK I've got five 750 ml bottles of vodka = 3.75 L x .26417 = .9906375 gal dang I've gotta go get five mo bottles of vodka. Well I got a day or two any way cause the pineapple the wife is growing don't look like it's ready for the knife yet......
tarde venientibus ossa....
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:33 pm

All this pineapple talk has me wanting to grill one this weekend.

Now, do I glaze it or get it drunk? :wink:
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:49 pm

Me too! I gotta look for a pineapple now...

James.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:04 pm

My pineapple came from Costarica. They must not pay alot for 'em to be able to ship, sell at 3 bucks each and still make a profit. :shock:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:43 pm

JamesB wrote:
copkid wrote:I wonder how many bottles it would take to make two gallons of vodka?!

I think it would take about 2 1 gallon bottles! :lol:

James.

Ya beat me too it... I had to go and take a nap today!!! :twisted:
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:33 pm

Ya might try injecting a pint or so of rum into it along with some sweetened condensed coconut milk, let er sit a cpl days and give er a whirl....kinda like a chewy pina colada...or, grill it.... :D
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
dahorns USER_AVATAR
DaHorns
Bandolero

Postby DaHorns » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:30 pm

Don't say I never contributed to a pineapple thread.......... :wink:

I woke up REALLY early last weekend and wastch BBQ University with Steven Raichlen and it just so happened that they were doing the Huli Huli Chicken and were looking for a good desert to go with it. I will tell you what, I think they found it.

Method: spit roasting

Note: when buying pineapple, look for a yellow rind and a musky, fruity aroma. These are the signs of ripe sweet pineapple.

Serves 8

1 large ripe pineapple

For the glaze:
1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup dark rum
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
1 pint blackberry or blueberry ice cream or sorbet for serving (optional)
You'll also need: 1 rotisserie; 8 martini glasses (optional)

1. Cut the rind off the pineapple, leaving the leafy crown intact. I find a serrated knife works best for this. Even after you've removed the rind, you'll notice some diagonal rows of "eyes" (brown spots)-cut these out, making long diagonal V-shaped cuts to give the pineapple a rippled spiral effect.

2. Make the glaze. Place the butter, brown sugar, rum, cream, lime juice, cinnamon, and salt in a heavy saucepan and cook over high heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until thick and syrupy, 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.

3. Set up your grill for spit-roasting and preheat to high.

4. Using a long slender knife, make starter holes in the crown end and base of the pineapple, pushing the knife lengthwise through the center to facilitate inserting the spit. Working gently but firmly, insert the rotisserie spit through the pineapple. (Be sure to have the first set of prongs on already.) Tighten the prongs. Loosely cover the pineapple leaves with foil. Place the end of the spit in the rotisserie motor socket and turn on the motor.

5. Spit-roast the pineapple until golden brown and tender, about 1 hour, basting with glaze every 15 minutes. You should have about half the glaze leftover for serving.

6. To serve, unspit the pineapple and unwrap the leaves. Show it off whole-talk about way cool. Then cut it crosswise into slices for serving. Drizzle each slice with leftover glaze.

7. For the ultimate gilding of the lily, cut the pineapple slices in quarters and serve over blackberry ice cream in martini glasses. Spoon the glaze on top and garnish each glass with a pineapple leaf.
Yellow Dog BBQ Team
Gator Predator
When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:48 pm

Stopped by the local grocery get'n place and guess what... NO pineapples! :evil:

Will have to wife look for one 2morrow...

James.
catfishd USER_AVATAR
catfishd
Pilgrim

Postby catfishd » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:20 am

Get you some Yellowfin Tuna. Marinate it in some pinapple juice and hoisen sauce for about 2 hours. Start the grill and slice the pineapple. Grill to your liking and when they are done throw on the Tuna steaks and place the grilled pinapple on top. Serve over cilentro butter rice :pig:
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:12 pm

Happy Saturday,

Gotta admit I never had spit roasted pineapple! My rotissers are too big, the smallest spit is 3/4" dia.

Anyways I have an "improvement" on serving the grilled fruit. See a previous post on this thread (yesterday) for the reason I slice the pineapple differently.

malama pono a hui hou,
honu41
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:24 pm

Dats, you can also plant the top that you cut off. Makes a pretty cool plant. Plant it in a pot so that you can bring it inside in the winter. CF
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:36 pm

Hey Dats,

As CF said the pineapple crown can be planted. Air dry the crown for a few days, then place in a container of water with just enough water to cover the base of the crown.

Eventually roots will appear and when about an inch long plant in a pot with good planter mix. Do not overwater. Keep the soil on the dry side...

Pineapple plants were never irrigated the rainfall took are of that.

good luck,
honu41
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:49 pm

honu41 wrote:As CF said the pineapple crown can be planted.

The kids'll like this. I think I'll try it.

Mahalo, CF and Honu.
Rob - TX Sandman

Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."

Steven Raichlen
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:16 pm

Yeah, I'm gonna try growing a pineapple too.

The Mrs sent me on a mission since with all these tropical flavors going on today. Got me a jug of Dark Rum, Light Rum, Appricot Brandy, some cream of coconut, OJ, marachino cherries..... It should be a fun evening :drunk: :wink:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:55 pm

Here is a how to link and picture of Mrs. PTs pineapple (being checked out by GD Guard Dawg).
http://www.driftwoodgardens.com/projectspineapple.htm

tarde venientibus ossa....

Return to “Request a Recipe”