CHARD'n me Lon-G'uy'land

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

CHARD'n me Lon-G'uy'land

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:47 pm

But the Sutherner needs a Recipe for the $3 "ORGANIC CHARD" that I bought today.
I'm wanting to fix it as a side with Chicken Fried Chicken, Cream Gravy and Rice :scratch: :dont: :?:
Good Iddie or not :?:

Also, can I get a couple dinners outa this :?: AND are the Stalk/Stems Good To eat also :?:

IMG_0096.JPG

IMG_0097.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bondobill
Outlaw

Re: CHARD'n me Lon-G'uy'land

Postby bondobill » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:18 pm

Sorry pal.....cant help ya out. :( I got no idea what Chard is :dont: Looks like Rhubarb to me :laughing7:

Bill
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:31 pm

bondobill wrote:Sorry pal.....cant help ya out. :( I got no idea what Chard is :dont: Looks like Rhubarb to me :laughing7:

Bill

Makes two of us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:47 pm

Sailor and I do this a lot, I steam mine for about 15 mins after cutting stalks out, leaving leaf only, then slicing it up., but my mum used to leave stalks in. When serving a put a decent knob of butter and stir, then serve, we got it in garden ATM. I also put it in my onion bhagees, really nice.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:03 pm

We call it silver beet, this is in our garden

image.jpg
image.jpg

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:12 am

I was hoping that either Sailor or Professor Bunky would offer up one - - - I've seem some on their plates that sure looked good - - - oh well, maybe they'll see this before Lunch - - - if not I'm gonna have to "Google". :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:28 am

Welps, unless I get otherwise "informed", I think I'll do the Chard this way, especially since I have some nice cherry maters that need using - - - and bacon speaks for itself in La Casa. Also think I'll just do half the bunch this time. :dont:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5noFSqVSZ8
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:54 am

That should work Sir. Basically just wilted lettuce substituting chad and adding tomatoes. Looks good.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:42 am

It's done and it's Larapin - - the tomatoes were a little dominant but I probably should have used the entire bunch of leaves - - - ain't my last time - - - - they're still on the stove awaiting lunch time - - - easy rice in a cooker and double dipped chicken fried chicken steaks with cream gravy. Wiffy's still asleep so ETA is who knows :dont:
IMG_0098.JPG

IMG_0099.JPG

IMG_0100.JPG

IMG_0101.JPG

IMG_0102.JPG

IMG_0103.JPG

IMG_0104.JPG
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:54 am

OMG. I'm handing over my spatula and apron for good. :chef: :chef: :chef: :salut: :salut: :salut:
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:02 pm

Final Report:
The Wiffy LOVED THE CHARD (just the way I did it-but you know I just hafta change something the next batch) :laughing7:

So thanks to the Lawn'Gyland Lovers for turning me onto this Veggie :tup:
Also let me give Honorable Mention to Wild Bill's Atkinson's Chicken Breading once again :tup:
Also a big Woo Hoo to Suckle Busters SPG which I used in the Chard because I was out of Garlic :salut:

Now do I take a stroll or a nap after I clean up the kitchen :scratch: :dont: :roll:
IMG_0106.JPG
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:39 pm

Dang em that looks good. :salut:
Fried chicken and gravy...you surely do eat good my friend. Veggies don't look bad either. :chef:

:cheers:
Bill
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:14 pm

How could I miss this?

Day late and a dollar short, OUP, but...Gotta eat the stalks! Cut them finer than the leaves and they should all cook the same. Chard gets sandy so wash it really well.

Yours looks like ours, all different color stalks. Usually, I dice onyawn, smash a garlic clove, slice some ginger and saute those in bacon fat or oil or both...then toss in the chard, steam until done, salt, pepper, and soy sauce. Russ's way of steamed, then buttered lets the chard flavor dominate.

You could cook chard any way you'd cook spinach or beet greens. Spinach cooks quicker, chard doesn't take anywhere near as long as collards.

Seems like you did well on your own! And the 'chard sides'.... :cheers: :chef: :salut:

PS: Nap first. :laughing7:
Moink!
professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:33 pm

Sorry for the late reply OUP. You did quite well on your own. :chef:

If you like them alot and they're hard to find in grocery stores, keep in mind that they grow very easily in pots. Whenever we tried to kill our plants this fall, by cutting off all the stalks at the bottom, they grow right back. Kinda like the Eveready Bunny.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:37 pm

Maybe this would be a good time to try out my "steamie thingie" that my kids gave me last year. :scratch:
IMG_0108.JPG

IMG_0107.JPG

Return to “Request a Recipe”