Simple sliced portabellas

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Allie

Simple sliced portabellas

Postby Allie » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:39 pm

I picked up some sliced portabellas on sale at the grocery store. I've never had them and am not sure what they taste like. I usually use buttons. Tomorrow night, I'm making chicken parmesan dinner and would like to use them. Would they taste ok in the sauce?
If not, any ideas? I don't have any wine to cook with and am not crazy about it anyway. My supplies are pretty limited to every day kitchen ingredients since I'm not making a special trip to the grocery store. Thanks!
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:09 pm

Only ones I ever had was big whole shrooms and stuffed with bread crumbs and parmesiam cheese etc. and stuck under the brolier for a bit. Tastes a little too much like some kinda fungus to me. Warden loves em..which is normally a bad sign:) Bon Apetit :roll:

bigwheel
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:26 pm

Not much help because I've never to my knowledge had them big fungal things but I'll bet they're good.
Try this:
http://allrecipes.com/Search/Recipes.as ... archIn=All
tarde venientibus ossa....
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:49 pm

Allie,
I would say that they will be fine in the Chx parm. dinner. When cooking them up in your sauce, they will shrink up, and you can always cut them up finer, if you think they are too big. Just use them like any other mushroom. I'm sure you know how to cook them to perfection! If you don't like a splash of wine, use a splash of balsamic vinegar if you have it. If you don't, that's okay.
Laura
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:54 pm

Allie, an easy way to fix them for what you are doing is to melt a little butter in a pan on med-high heat, add the shrooms to the pan and cover. after a few minutes they will start to release their water and the pan will have a lot of juice in with the shrooms. At this point add salt & pepper and any other spices you like. I like to add a little Worcestershire sauce also. cook covered til almost done. Then remove the lid, turn heat down to med, and add a little more butter. Sauce til sauce thickens and shrooms are done. Eat them as a side with the sauce on them or remove from sauce and cut up into your main dish. :D :D

Remember, a brown crimini mushroom is a juvenile portobello, so portobellos can be cut up and used the same way as criminis. :D
Jim
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:52 pm

OSD wrote:Allie, an easy way to fix them for what you are doing is to melt a little butter in a pan on med-high heat, add the shrooms to the pan and cover. after a few minutes they will start to release their water and the pan will have a lot of juice in with the shrooms. At this point add salt & pepper and any other spices you like. I like to add a little Worcestershire sauce also. cook covered til almost done. Then remove the lid, turn heat down to med, and add a little more butter. Sauce til sauce thickens and shrooms are done. Eat them as a side with the sauce on them or remove from sauce and cut up into your main dish. :D :D

Remember, a brown crimini mushroom is a juvenile portobello, so portobellos can be cut up and used the same way as criminis. :D

Just hang around the forum and ya learn something new every day.....
tarde venientibus ossa....
Allie

Postby Allie » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:53 pm

Laura, your suggestion sounds great. I never thought of a splash of balsamic in the sauce! I do have some of that here. lol

Jim, that's how I make mushrooms for hamburgers! I didn't even think about using these the same way. lol I just use buttons for that.

Thanks to both of you!!
Allie

Postby Allie » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:54 pm

Thanks for that link, Papa Tom! There are some good looking recipes there!

Return to “Request a Recipe”