Need help with a BIG 'OLE HAM

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

riseabove50 USER_AVATAR
riseabove50
Rustler

Need help with a BIG 'OLE HAM

Postby riseabove50 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:49 pm

Hey all, a friend has asked me to smoke one of his three 25lb raw hams to see how it will taste. currently they don't have an oven large enough to cook these things but knew i had a trailer pit which can easily take it.

since this is my first attempt at something like this, what are some obvious tips or suggestions you can throw at me on how to get this thing tasty and juicy?

#1. i was thinking of brining it. good idea or bad?
#1a. if a good idea, what would you suggest to add to the brine for flavor, and how long should i brine it?

#2. how long would a monster like this take to cook? i'm using an offset stick burner trailer.

#3. at what point should i wrap this thing during the cooking process?

#4. i primarily cook with oak. with such a large piece of meat, would it make much difference to include a fruit wood like apple or cherry, or should i just stick with oak?

#5. what cooking temp should i shoot for? when i cook briskets and butts i like to hang out between 250 and 275. is that too hot for a ham?

thanks for the help folks.

Mark
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Re: Need help with a BIG 'OLE HAM

Postby JustinCouch » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:24 pm

texas1911 is the man for the task. he did one a while ago and it was awesome. look under the search bar for fresh ham and don't do it the way I did it.
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:40 pm

Not me! This is still on my bucket list. Though, TxDragon put up a few very detailed posts about one he did for Christmas:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28330&hilit=txdragon
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:19 pm

T-Dragon's is the one I remember also :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:11 pm

YEP. YALL GOT ME ON THAT ONE. I GUESS I HAVE FEWER BRAIN CELLS LEFT THAN I THOUGHT. SORRY 1911, BTW HAS ANYBODY HEARD FROM DRAGON LATLEY?
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:40 pm

thinking the same thing, Justin :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
jmcrig USER_AVATAR
jmcrig
Bandolero

Postby jmcrig » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:58 pm

If I were cooking it, first I'd inject the crap out of it. Find the artery by the bone, and pump it full. Also, any fat line you see, fill it. Rub it with Boars Night Out White Lightning and cover with SuckleBuster's Hog Waller. Cook it like you would a pork butt. When you get the color you want, wrap it. It could be a 15 plus hour cook.
Mark Crigler

Return to “Request a Recipe”