Pork tenderloin

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Grabber70Mach
Pilgrim

Pork tenderloin

Postby Grabber70Mach » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:46 pm

What's the best way to smoke a tenderloin? Thought of stuffing it with some sausage, wrapping it with bacon then smoking it. Thoughts or recommendations?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Re: Pork tenderloin

Postby txsmkmstr » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:23 pm

Grabber70Mach wrote:What's the best way to smoke a tenderloin? Thought of stuffing it with some sausage, wrapping it with bacon then smoking it. Thoughts or recommendations?

Save the stuffing stuff for regular pork loins. Tenderloins are best by themselves without any wrapping or stuffing. I trim off the sliver skin and any extra fat, square up the ends (use those trimmings for cook's treats), roll in your favorite rub and smoke away. I like mesquite wood running about 250* until internal hits about 160* (couple hours or so). Pull, let rest about 15 minutes, slice and serve with some Carolina Mustard Sauce.... good stuff - now I'm hungry.
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
fr8 train USER_AVATAR
FR8 Train
Bandolero

Postby FR8 Train » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:28 pm

Of course anything wrapped in bacon and filled with your favorite toppings is pretty good too.....any way you do it it should be good. Best of Luck.
"Sic 'em Bears"
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:57 pm

txsmkmstr wrote:
Grabber70Mach wrote:What's the best way to smoke a tenderloin? Thought of stuffing it with some sausage, wrapping it with bacon then smoking it. Thoughts or recommendations?

Save the stuffing stuff for regular pork loins. Tenderloins are best by themselves without any wrapping or stuffing. I trim off the sliver skin and any extra fat, square up the ends (use those trimmings for cook's treats), roll in your favorite rub and smoke away. I like mesquite wood running about 250* until internal hits about 160* (couple hours or so). Pull, let rest about 15 minutes, slice and serve with some Carolina Mustard Sauce.... good stuff - now I'm hungry.

What he said - but I like pecan for smoke (just a personal preference on pork) and I pull mine at 140 and tent for a few minutes - real moist (actually I have pulled at 135 and let it coast beyond 140). All the bad guys are dead and gone at 140. I know the government says 160 on pork but they are way too conservative in their tables. Check out the table in the below link.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Informat ... eChart.htm
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
bauer8it USER_AVATAR
Bauer8It
Wrangler

Postby Bauer8It » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:13 pm

I like to coat with Tone's Southwest Chipotle spice from SAMs Club and smoke with pecan wood until 135 degrees and tent. This produces a very moist tenderloin and is safe. :trainnana:

Enjoy
Mini WSM and 22.5 WSM
tree-bark USER_AVATAR
Tree-bark
Wrangler

Postby Tree-bark » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:23 am

I cooked one several weeks back and it turned out great! I stuffed mine with boudain and green onions, seasoned it up and wrapped with bacon!.............ummm ummm good
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:05 pm

I knew when I posted internal temps there'd be some discussion - and it wasn't from a food safety standpoint as much as personal preference.

I've run them as high as 175 and they still were moist... I've stopped at 145 with good results too. What I do like seeing is a pronounced smoke ring (yes, i know it's just a visual) against the "cooked" pork color vs. a smoke ring next to rare/medium rare pork color.

The tenderloins are a very forgiving cut so if you go over your target temperature all is not lost. I just wish they weren't so pricey all the time. Our local Brookshires had a buy one get one for a penny sale - lets just say the freezer is well stocked now. :thap:
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
Grabber70Mach
Pilgrim

Postby Grabber70Mach » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:44 pm

Thanks for the suggestions

Return to “Request a Recipe”