Black Eyed Peas

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Black Eyed Peas

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:58 am

Not the group, but the recipe. The Mrs says we need to have 'em on New Years day since we're now Texan's. Do ya treat 'em like pintos?
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
davidtxs1
Pilgrim

Re: Black Eyed Peas

Postby davidtxs1 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:21 am

KINDA I do mine in a crock pot
2 l bs soaked over nite
1 med onion
1-2 jalapeno
some GOOD PINTO sesonings
nice size ham hock 2if small wall mart has these by the sliced hams
or salt pork if they don't have the hocks

cover with water or chicken broth
cook on high till kinda mushy if ya like em thick about an hour before ya turn em off take 1 cup and mush em up good

chopped onion for garnish
tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Postby tex_toby » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:12 am

Dats - I crockpot mine as well. For me, simple seasoning is better with black-eyed peas. Here's how I do it....

Get 1 or 2 lbs of dry black eyed peas and soak overnight in water. Drain & rinse the next morning. Add to the crockpot and cover with approx. 1" of fresh water. Season with salt and pepper (I use sea salt or kosher and use fresh cracked pepper). For New Years, I always save my smoked hambone from Christmas which I make sure has some meat still on it and toss it in the mix. Turn on high for a few hours until they start to boil. Switch to low and cook for about 5 or 6 more hours. Between the hambone and the peas themselves, there is so much flavor in there that I see no need to add any other seasonings to the pot. If you don't have a hambone, buy a salt pork or buy some bacon ends/pieces to add in there. Depending on what meat you use, be careful about adding extra salt because they can easily be over-salted and I am a salt lover. If I were just cooking for me, I would have some jalapenos in there too, but because Mrs Tex doesn't want too much heat I don't add them until I get my own bowl. Black-eyed peas cooked like this are magical. I always have some cornbread to go along with them as well, preferably Mexican cornbread. You will be eating like a Texan in no time! :wink: :texas:

P.S. - If you haven't already bought them, you might be "out of luck." :) They start disappearing off of the shelves around here by Christmas. I've had to go to 4 or 5 stores before if I waited to almost New Years before I bought them.

20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:24 pm

Classic Texas Caviar
By: USA WEEKEND columnist Pam Anderson
"Don't bother with soaking and cooking beans for Classic Texas Caviar - the canned variety works well. But skip the bottled dressing, and take a little extra time to measure your own vinegar, oil and spices."
Yield 5 cups

Ingredients
• 2 (15.8 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained
• 1 (14.5 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, drained
• 2 fresh medium jalapenos, stemmed, seeded and minced
• 1 small onion, cut into small dice
• 1/2 yellow bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and cut into small dice
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
• 6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
• 6 tablespoons olive oil (not extra virgin)
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
Directions
1. Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl; cover and refrigerate 2 hours or up to 2 days. Before serving, adjust seasonings to taste, adding extra vinegar, salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl.
tarde venientibus ossa....
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:31 pm

Hoppin' John

Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse
Total Time: 1 hr 5 min
Prep: 15 min
Cook: 50 min
Yield:10 servings

Ingredients
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 large ham hock
• 1 cup onion, chopped
• 1/2 cup celery, chopped
• 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
• 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
• 1 pound black-eyed peas, soaked overnight and rinsed
• 1 quart chicken stock
• Bay leaf
• 1 teaspoon dry thyme leaves
• Salt, black pepper, and cayenne
• 3 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
• 3 cups steamed white rice
Directions
Heat oil in a large soup pot, add the ham hock and sear on all sides for 4 minutes. Add the onion, celery, green pepper, and garlic, cook for 4 minutes. Add the black-eyed peas, stock, bay leaves, thyme, and seasonings. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 40 minutes, or until the peas are creamy and tender, stir occasionally. If the liquid evaporates, add more water or stock. Adjust seasonings, and garnish with green onions. Serve over rice.
tarde venientibus ossa....
hj USER_AVATAR
Hj
Bandolero

Postby Hj » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:22 am

Any of the recipes given will be good for sure

Here is mine and Happy New Years 2012 to all of you and yours. Let the chapters of Old close and new journeys n chapters begin for all of you!

3 to 6 lbs. pork shoulder roast or picnic fairly lean or Ham hocks
3 or 4 country style ribs lean
Kosher salt as usual medium size grain
black pepper
garlic granular
1 onion very large cut up
1 c. black- eyed peas dried
*1/2 c. great northern beans (small baby ones dried
*1/2 c. black eyed peas
3 bay leaves
1 T. cumin powder Yes a tablespoon
1 T. celery leaves dried or place chopped ñ use more fresh chopped*
1/2 to 1 jalapeño seeded diced fine
2 tsps. BetterThan Chicken Bullion from the jar
Water enough to just about cover

Trim any really excess fat from both pieces of meat (can use boneless or bone in ñ remove any bones after cooking.

In pressure cooker add just enough olive oil to brown meat first seasoned well with salt –pepper ñ garlic granular all over the meat ñ brown all sides well.

Add chopped onion ñ all other ingredients ADDING extra garlic granular ñ can add now or later MORE KOSHER salt (I suggest only experienced cooks add salt now-U don’t want it over salted especially using the chicken bullion. U can add later or guest can add at serving time.

Place lid on pressure cooker –let it go. Digital cookers about 64 minutes
Stove top cookers seem to take little longer – about 2 hours for really tender meat ñ broth of beans to be tender with broth at thickness U desire. EACH pressure cooker has it own quirks. Once cooked either add little more water or cook down further till thickness of broth is desired.

Note~ * Use either one of either the beans or both beans mixed. Add water if needed or broth as it cooks down.
Celery~ can use just leaves fresh lots or ribs of celery about 1 large chopped fine.

Notes~ Or use ham hocks with this – I never soak the beans. Wash them ñ remove bad ones – they come out just as good.
A mistake is sometimes a great creation
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:21 pm

tex_toby wrote:Dats - I crockpot mine as well. For me, simple seasoning is better with black-eyed peas. Here's how I do it....

Get 1 or 2 lbs of dry black eyed peas and soak overnight in water. Drain & rinse the next morning. Add to the crockpot and cover with approx. 1" of fresh water. Season with salt and pepper (I use sea salt or kosher and use fresh cracked pepper). For New Years, I always save my smoked hambone from Christmas which I make sure has some meat still on it and toss it in the mix. Turn on high for a few hours until they start to boil. Switch to low and cook for about 5 or 6 more hours. Between the hambone and the peas themselves, there is so much flavor in there that I see no need to add any other seasonings to the pot. If you don't have a hambone, buy a salt pork or buy some bacon ends/pieces to add in there. Depending on what meat you use, be careful about adding extra salt because they can easily be over-salted and I am a salt lover. If I were just cooking for me, I would have some jalapenos in there too, but because Mrs Tex doesn't want too much heat I don't add them until I get my own bowl. Black-eyed peas cooked like this are magical. I always have some cornbread to go along with them as well, preferably Mexican cornbread. You will be eating like a Texan in no time! :wink: :texas:

P.S. - If you haven't already bought them, you might be "out of luck." :) They start disappearing off of the shelves around here by Christmas. I've had to go to 4 or 5 stores before if I waited to almost New Years before I bought them.

Kroger had two empty shelves of Black Eyed Peas, but the Mrs reached way in back and got the last package so we are in luck.

Thanks every one for the recipes!
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee

Return to “Request a Recipe”