Salt Crusted Brisket

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Chuck B
Pilgrim

Salt Crusted Brisket

Postby Chuck B » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:00 pm

I have a friend that salted a brisket with Salt, 5lbs course, Cummin ,Beer made a paste around the brisket let it sit in the refrig overnight. Then smoked it. When it is done used a hammeer to break the crust . I have only seen it done once. My friend died and I was never able to get the receipe. Maybe someone has tried this.
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Re: Salt Crusted Brisket

Postby Stan41 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:10 pm

I don't have a recipe for brisket fixed like this, but here is a recipe for steak that might give you some ideas:

Spike Steak

2 inch thick sirloin steak (about 3 pounds)
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups coarse salt
3/4 cup water

Trim excess fat from steak. Crack pepper corns coarsely and mince garlic.
Press peppercorns and garlic into both sides of steak and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
Cover top side of peppered steak with half the mixture of salt and water.
If cooking steak over coals, cover salt side with a wet cloth or paper towel and place salt side down on grill. (Cloth or paper holds the salt in place; will char as the steak cooks, but this does not affect the taste.
Cover top side with remaining salt mixture and another piece of wet cloth or paper towel.
If broiling, put salt side up, 3 inches from heat.
Put salt on other side of steak when it is turned.
Cook 15 minutes on each side for rare, 25 minutes for medium rare.
Remove salt before eating
Makes 4-6 servings.

Stan
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:50 am

Thats sounds terrible to me....wouldnt even think it...
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
BigDave
Bandolero

Postby BigDave » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:41 am

Usually need to mix some egg whites with the salt to form the salt dome. Its just another way of braising. Foil purty much does the same thing on brisket.
gmanning
Pilgrim

Postby gmanning » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:16 pm

Here is a recipe for Prime Rib Roast from Dallas Gormet Chef, David Wade.
He also did the "Turkey In A Sack" recipe for Thanksgiving.

Season meat with Worcestershire Powder and pepper.
Rub with water into meat.
Pour rock salt to cover bottom of large roaster pan.
Lightly dampen with water until rock salt is moist.
Place rib onto salt in standing rib position.
Cover with salt until completely covered.
Dampen until all salt is moist.
Place uncovered in preheated 500 degree oven.
Roast 12 minutes per pound.
When done, carefully remove hardened rock salt from rib.
Brush away all salt particles.
Garnish and serve.

This works great for a roast. Might work on a brisket with an adjusted cooking time.
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:15 pm

Sounds terrible....wont waste a great prime rib roast on that...
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
hj USER_AVATAR
Hj
Bandolero

Postby Hj » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:06 pm

This works great for Prime Rib and is DELICIOUS. Should work on a brisket too.

Never did it with salt right on the meat or in a dome like stated.

Outstanding n Delicious PRIME RIB - Family and friends for more than 40 yrs. at my house always want more pf this. This is Christmas dinner and always requested for birthdays - but didn’t make like U all make it- packed with salt directly around the meat. Use to do it in a smoker but now do mine in the oven. Large or small ones .. baking times are different just watch the internal gauge.

Using two Pans- ONE MUST be larger ñ deeper than the one holding the meat in. The larger one I use is foil as to throw away ñ U’ll know why after U fixed this. The pan is a mess from the salt.
Here is how I make mine
Season prime rib as usual - I only sprinkle pepper all over meat ñ make slits deep into the fat on top. (“sometimes” I place slices of garlic deep inside the fat – either way make those slits in the fat. Place prime into smaller pan-fat side up. Pour little worcestershire sauce over the fat ñ let it run into slits n down over the sides of meat n a touch of soy sauce over that (very little soy sauce. NOW Drape slices of Fresh side of bacon (uncured) all over the fat side of meat.

Than set pan n meat inside the larger DEEP pan. You want space all around the pan between the 2 pans. There won't be a lot of room. Carefully add ROCK SALT in between the 2 pans about 3/4 ways up on outer pan - just so salt DOES not go into the other pan with the meat.
NOW take a cup and add hot water to the salt about 1/2 way up the outer foiled pan so the salt "steams the meat as it bakes". U will keep adding hot water WHEN it starts to go almost dry. U DO NOT WANT salt water BOILING OVER INTO THE MEAT PAN!
Depending on size of the prime - I add 1 or 2 beef bouillon cubes mashed first in bottom of meat pan all around the bottom of the meat. SO there is really no or hardly any liquid on the bottom n into the thickest part of the prime without touching the bone (if leaving the bone on the meat -insert a meat gauge. Cover with foil -not touching temperature gauge. Want meat to get up to medium rare about 140 F. or so degrees n watch gauge after that very closely - cause it will climb to medium or done very fast. The ends will be pretty well done ñ inside will be just nice ñ pink UNLESS U want it cooked rare ñ just watch your gauge.
About 145 to 155F. degrees or so to start to check very closely if wanting it medium - check to see the gauge settings. Remove the cover ñ let it brown more on top before it is at its finish. I cook it verily slowly in a low oven setting ñ always comes out perfect. Or bake it at 350 F. ñ less time in oven

The juices from the meat make the au jus n baste the meat with a rubber syringe once in awhile there will lots of juice as it cooks.
Have au jus served on the side with horseradish dip

Make a horseradish ñ sour cream for dipping
1 c. sour cream (sometimes I add 1 T. Kraft real mayo
1½ T. horseradish sauce or UR taste
salt and pepper to taste -dash of garlic
Accent to taste

Touch of fresh squeezed lemon (optional
Mix well.

We also have Frenched mashed potatoes that are regular mashed taters ñ seasoned AS USUAL -than spread them out on foil -on a large cookie sheet topped with some butter ñ placed in the oven set heat up higher -bake until the topping gets golden crusty while the inside is light ñ fluffy do this while cutting the prime rib.
A mistake is sometimes a great creation
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:58 pm

I've done a Prime Rib this way before, (surprisingly) works pretty good. all that salt forms a thick and hard crust which you crack off as mentioned...
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:47 am

I witnessed a prime rib roast being prepared this way, but haven't eaten any. I was told is was good. The guy ended up using 4 boxes of Kosher salt. Foil would be cheaper.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee

Return to “Request a Recipe”