Fajitas Marinate

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

fngsmokers USER_AVATAR
fngsmokers
Pilgrim

Fajitas Marinate

Postby fngsmokers » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:46 pm

Need a good Marinate for fajitas .....tried differnent item and nothing that really makes people say WOW! any suggestions that buying them pre-marinated
Fng Smokers -David
If your lookin' you ani't cookin!
atcnick USER_AVATAR
atcNick
Outlaw

Re: Fajitas Marinate

Postby atcNick » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:44 pm

The best one I've tried so far is ecto1's recipe. It's simple, but hard to beat!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghTibfdq7-8
-Nick

Custom R&O Offset
Lang 84D w/Chargriller SOLD
Weber Performer
22" Weber One Touch Gold Kettle
18" Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Smokey Joe
damonc USER_AVATAR
Damonc
Pilgrim

Postby Damonc » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:54 am

Hello first post for me.

Fajitas are one of the most requested meals in my house by the kids. They love my fajitas so much they will not order them when we go out because they do not compare to Dad's. I make these on a gas grill or on a charcoal pit. If you make them over charcoal leave out the liquid smoke.

Ingredients:

1 cup olive oil
2/3 cup soy sauce
8 green onions, washed and cut in ½” pieces, greens too.
2 Tbsp chopped garlic
½ cup lime juice
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp ground cumin
7 Tbsp dark brown sugar
1 tsp liquid smoke (if cooking on gas grill, over charcoal leave out)
4 lbs Flank/Skirt Steak or Chicken

Directions:

In a blender put oil, soy sauce, green onion, garlic, lime juice, pepper flakes, cumin, brown sugar, and liquid smoke and puree on lowest setting (don’t want to mix too much air into marinade).

In a large heavy duty, zip top bag, put pieces of steak or chicken and pour in marinade. Seal bag, removing as much air as possible. Allow meat to marinate in the refrigerator at least one hour, preferably four to five. I put aside a 1/4 cup of the marinade to mix in with the peppers and onions just as they are finished cooking. You don't want to add the marinade to the peppers and onions in the beginning because the sugars in the marinade will burn.

I have a good recipe for authentic Mexican rice too just like you get in the restaurant.
atcnick USER_AVATAR
atcNick
Outlaw

Fajitas Marinate

Postby atcNick » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:14 am

Danonc, that recipe sounds good. I may give it a try. Id like that rice recipe when you get a chance

-Nick
-Nick

Custom R&O Offset
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Joe
damonc USER_AVATAR
Damonc
Pilgrim

Postby Damonc » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:14 am

Ok here is the rice recipe. Now just like with anything else it's half recipe and half technique. The most important part when cooking this rice is to not remove the lid before it's done. Once you put the lid on do not take it off to check how it's doing. It creates the perfect environment and if you take the lid off you let out all the heat and moisture. You will end up with a sticky, undercooked mess if you do instead of a nice fluffy rice. Also have the dry seasoning measured out and in a small bowl so you can dump it in when ready.

Ingredients

3 cups – Chicken stock
2 cup Jasmine long grain rice
1 cup enchilada sauce
2 tsp garlic salt
2 tsp garlic powder
1 medium onion diced small
1 tsp salt

Directions

Add about one tablespoon of oil to a 2 quart pot, add rice and cook over med heat until rice starts to brown. This is a very important step so don't ever skip it. Browning the rice prepares it to absorb the liquid more readily. If you don't take the time the results will suffer. I like Jasmine rice too, seems to work the best. The rice starts out kind of translucent and as you brown it turns white like popcorn with a little brown, that's when you know it's done.

Now add remaining ingredients and bring mixture to a boil over high heat. Once a boil is reached, cover pot and cook over very low heat for 20 minutes. Do not remove lid, it will ruin the rice. After 20 minutes on low remove pot from heat and let sit an additional 20 before removing the lid. Remove lid, fluff rice and serve.

This is best cooked on a gas burner because you need to change the temp to low rapidly. If you are cooking on an older electric cook top use two different burners. If the temperature does not change to low quickly the rise will burn.

I will also dress this up after it's done cooking by adding some black beans, sauteed peppers/onions, chorizo and corn. I find it best when adding extra ingredients like these to cook and add after for the best results. Just play around and see what you like.

Oh yeah, last thing .......... wait for it ..........
DONT TOUCH THE LID TILL ITS DONE! :mrgreen:
atcnick USER_AVATAR
atcNick
Outlaw

Postby atcNick » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:15 am

Thanks dude!
-Nick

Custom R&O Offset
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Joe
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:38 pm

Damonc that recipe looks great will try it for sure.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:41 am

You don't want to add the marinade to the peppers and onions in the beginning because the sugars in the marinade will burn.

What peppers here? Did you forget to add that to the list or set aside some of the "pepper flakes"? Mixing some right now.

Thanks
Hasty Bake Legacy
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
and then some
fr8 train USER_AVATAR
FR8 Train
Bandolero

Postby FR8 Train » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:34 pm

RWBTEX wrote:
You don't want to add the marinade to the peppers and onions in the beginning because the sugars in the marinade will burn.

What peppers here? Did you forget to add that to the list or set aside some of the "pepper flakes"? Mixing some right now.

Thanks

Sounds like he is just talking about some onions and peppers he's cooking on the side as a topping for the fajitas, not actually part of the recipe.
"Sic 'em Bears"
grizz USER_AVATAR
Grizz
Bandolero

Postby Grizz » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:50 pm

I am definitely going to try both those recipes. Train is right....I am sure he is talking about the green bell (or even poblano) peppers and onions that are served with the fajitas......Great, now I'm hungry again...
Jeff
GrizzlysBBQ.com

LSG Vertical Cabinet smoker
Bubbakeg (Kamado)
21" WSM

Grizzlysbbq.com

And in the end it’s not the barbecues in your life that count. It’s the life in your barbecues. – Abraham Lincoln
damonc USER_AVATAR
Damonc
Pilgrim

Postby Damonc » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:12 pm

Yes you were right. The recipe I posted was just for the marinade.

I also slice up and saute some red/yellow bell peppers and some onions in a frying pan for a topping. That's what I'm saving some of the marinade for. I cook the peppers and onions till just about done and then I add the marinade and cook for a couple minutes more.

Caution here .... DO NOT USE MARINADE THAT HAD MEAT IN IT.
damonc USER_AVATAR
Damonc
Pilgrim

Postby Damonc » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:20 pm

Well has anyone tried it yet?
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:41 pm

Yes I tried it. I will say that down here I am indeed considered the "fajita KING" over the years and have the trophys to back that statement up. However like anything the game is always changing and the last year and a half or so I have been misfiring so its time to open the mind and do some more R&D. Judged a cook off couple months ago and tasted the top five fajitas and instantly knew that I had to change my plays. Have been on a quest now looking for that winning ace again.
Your recipe is a very good one and I highly endorse it, rarely do I leave a recipe alone after trying it so have been tweaking a bit (less sugar and sweet) for my own preferences but this is a very good recipe for fajitas. Have not tried Ectos but that one is next.

Thanks a bunch, love this website.
Hasty Bake Legacy
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
and then some
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:51 pm

BTW will give out my basic winning combo of spice/seasoning/rub whatever you wanna call it. This blend has been very good to me for many years till recently, at least worth a try. I always buy good tender fajitas first and then make sure you dont over cook them.

1 cup McCormicks steak
1/4 cup McCormicks lemon pepper
1/4 cup McCormicks season all
1 tbs onion powder

Occasionally will adjust a bit and add more black pepper of more garlic powder but thats it, it really is that simple for a really good piece of beef, works fantastic on steak too.
Not a great rub if your a sweet kinda rub lover, leans more towards the salty side.

Good luck

P.S. Will add that the game has changed mostly because now alot of the meat markets down here are selling tumbled premarinated fajitas that are actually quite good so competitors are hiding that meat but cooking it and turning it if for comps, hard to beat the cheaters like that.
Hasty Bake Legacy
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
and then some
fngsmokers USER_AVATAR
fngsmokers
Pilgrim