TURKEY DAY TALK...

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

the bundling USER_AVATAR
The Bundling
Rustler

TURKEY DAY TALK...

Postby The Bundling » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:35 am

Ok, so were getting close to Turkey Day and it looks like my wife signed me up to smoke one (thanks hun… never done one before… but, ok?). Ofcourse, im looking for the best Turkey recipe for T-day but the bigger question I have is this bird needs to travel 6 hours in a car after smoking. Whats the best way to smoke and store and then re-heat?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP AS ALWAYS!
YOUr LOW AND SLOW BRO FROM MN
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: TURKEY DAY TALK...

Postby BluDawg » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:11 pm

Cook it the day before and reheat when you get there. Inject it with Cajun Butter season with Tony Chacheres, Smoke with pecan wood. I inject the Thighs, Drums, & Wings along the bones to get the flavor in deep.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
the bundling USER_AVATAR
The Bundling
Rustler

Postby The Bundling » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:15 pm

Whats the best way to re-heat? just rip it apart and store it in a pan and re-heat in the oven? I also would like to kill two birds* with one "Smoke" too and do a butt too (*fine one bird and one hog). is Pecan ok for that too?
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:27 pm

The Bundling wrote:Whats the best way to re-heat? just rip it apart and store it in a pan and re-heat in the oven? I also would like to kill two birds* with one "Smoke" too and do a butt too (*fine one bird and one hog). is Pecan ok for that too?
Pecan is good for everything. To reheat loosely tent with foil add a cup of Chicken stock into a 250° oven for an hour. You can pull the pork into an aluminum pan add a little rub and some W.N.C. Sauce mix it through and put it in the oven with the turkey.

W.N.C. BBQ Sauce

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
10 tablespoons ketchup
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
1 1/2tsp red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon white sugar
1/2 cup water
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp blk pepper

Directions
In a small saucepan over medium heat, stir together the vinegar, ketchup, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, sugar, and water.
Simmer for 15 minutes, or until all the sugar dissolves. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat, and let cool. The longer it sits the better it gets.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
crazyd USER_AVATAR
CrazyD
Bandolero

Postby CrazyD » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:40 pm

Awesome, this is what I'm going to be attempting this T-Day too. Same as you I have a 6.5 hr drive afterwards to get it to the family back home. Hoping it turns out well.

Let us know how it goes - I know I will be haha.
Custom Offset Trailer With Pitmaker BBQ Safe
atcnick USER_AVATAR
atcNick
Outlaw

TURKEY DAY TALK...

Postby atcNick » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:51 pm

I was just about to ask this too. I'm planning on doing a practice run next Monday. What's Cajun butter? You don't inject the breast? I was thinking of using pecan also. Do you smoke in a pan? Tent with foil when desired color is achieved? 325-350ish?

-Nick
-Nick

Custom R&O Offset
Lang 84D w/Chargriller SOLD
Weber Performer
22" Weber One Touch Gold Kettle
18" Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Smokey Joe
danger831 USER_AVATAR
danger831
Rustler

Postby danger831 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:57 am

inject or brine bird place in smoker with butter and spice soaked cheese cloth over top of bird and smoke remove cheese cloth the last 45 min to add some color. When you put the turkey in the smoker also put in 3 or 4 foil wrapped bricks and then when you remove the cheese clothe fill a cooler that will hold the turkey with almost boiling water and let set until turkey is done. When turkey is done pour water out of cooler place bricks from smoker in bottom and cover with towel then wrap turkey in foil real good and place in cooler breast down and cover with another towel and hit the road it will be hot when you get there.
bracketracer
Pilgrim

Postby bracketracer » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:56 pm

If you're going to do a butt and a bird I would def. take Bludawgs advice and do it the day before. It would make for a looong day to get up early enough to smoke a butt, rest it, pull it, and drive 6 hrs to the family for dinner. I'd be wore out before I even saw the relatives!
the bundling USER_AVATAR
The Bundling
Rustler

Postby The Bundling » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:41 am

Thanks everyone for your help! I think im going to take a little of all of this! Im going to smoke the Butt and Bird the day b4 and pull the bird and butt apart and just store them in the fridge with some of the juices. Then will re-heat both when I get there in the oven. I know the pork will be ok…. im hoping the bird is not dried out from re-heating.

Cheers!
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:12 am

Turkey breast is best at 160-165 and thighs and legs at 185-190 so how do you get the two different temps. Couple ways. Take the turkey out of the fridge 1-2 hours before you put it on and ice down the breast to set up a temp differential between the breast and the thighs and legs.

Spatchcocked Tbird

Or simply cut it up before you put it on the pit - easier and since you are going to cut it up any ways, why not? You can pull each part as the temp is reached. Of course this way doesn't work well if you are planning on stuffing the bird, but you could always make the stuffing and serve as a side.

Can't go wrong with Hoochie Mama on TBird. I would be careful with the pecan - poultry will soak up the smoke and may be too smokey for some.

Good luck with it.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
the bundling USER_AVATAR
The Bundling
Rustler

Postby The Bundling » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:24 am

Do you pre-cut up the bird like that befor you put it on? Love the ice down idea.... i heard putting some foil over the breast too helps slow it down.
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:20 pm

I did cut it before it went on - too easy and will likely do them that way from now on.

I think the foil over the breast is to keep the skin from getting too dark while waiting for the thighs to be done - the breast will continue to cook with the foil and may not be as moist.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
the bundling USER_AVATAR
The Bundling
Rustler

Postby The Bundling » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:31 pm

If you cut it up b4 you put it im guessing you dont have to ice down the brest. just take it off sooner?
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:22 pm

yes - but don't be surprised if the thighs reach temp before the breast - happened to me once. The thighs were at the back of the egg where the temp can be a little hotter (at least that is what I'm told)
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Postby Stan41 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:27 am

Here is the method I have used for several years. I plan to do it again this year:

Brined and Smoked Turkey Method

Don't get a really big turkey. 12 to 14 pounds is about right. Big turkeys don't absorb the brine as good as a smaller one.

Turkey Brine Mixture:

1 1/4 gallons water
1 cups coarse Kosher salt
3/4 cups soy sauce
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon sage
4 tablespoons black pepper
4 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 teaspoons Allspice
4 Tablespoons Tender Quick

Bring to a rolling boil. Then turn heat off and let it set until it is at room temperature.
Let the turkey thaw out, then remove the neck, liver, and gizzard

Put turkey in a Reynolds Baking Bag (Big One), Pour all the mixture into bag. Try to get all the air out of the bag and tie with a twist tie.
Put the bag with the turkey inside into a large bowl and put in refrigerator.

Let the turkey brine in the refrigerator for 2 days. (48 hours)

Take the turkey out of the brine and throw the brine away. Don't use it again.

Pat turkey dry with paper towels.

Rub Turkey with olive oil.

Sprinkle or rub turkey generously with some kind of BBQ rub or Fajita Seasoning.

On electric smoker use a handful of chips (hickory, mesquite, or whatever kind you wish).

Cook at 225 degrees about 3 1/2 hours, but don't go by the time. Use a meat thermometer stuck in the thickest part of the breast. 175 degrees it is done.

Enjoy!
Stan

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers

Return to “Request a Recipe”