Vegetarian

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Bithlord
Pilgrim

Vegetarian

Postby Bithlord » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:28 pm

So, I'm having a cookout in a week and we're having Brisket. Unfortunately, one of the people coming is a vegetarian and I have no idea what to make for him to eat -- does anyone have *any* ideas for vegetarian food that can be cooked on a smoker?

Thanks,
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Re: Vegetarian

Postby 3 star redneck » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:39 pm

+1 all grilles veggies,,especially eggplant...mmmmmmm
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:07 pm

my wify's youngest son is a veggie-cluse and his favorite thing that we do are veggie k-bobs with squash, zuchinni, peppers, pineapple, bar-boiled new taters and onions - - - I usually marinate all of the pieces in italian dressing before harpooning them and putting them on the grill - - a little cajun seasoning don't hurt none either. "bone apple tight"
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:59 pm

I have no qualms feeding vegans and such schrooms. Did marinated fungi-kabobs once, they were a big hit. Go figure.

Course, I have scrub down the grill afterwards, apply a wire brush to the cast iron and re-season. :roll:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:35 pm

My two boys are Vegan and they love potatoes on the grill, not baked. I slice the taters across about 1/4 to 3/8 thick, rub them with olive oil and sprinkle some season all and lemon pepper (or your/their favorite spice), yum yum. Also portablela mushrooms and eggplant are favorites for them.

Note: Warning: One thing more, some vegans/vegetarians are anal about anti-meat, meaning they wont eat those veggies if they have been " cross contaminated" on the same grill as the meat was cooked on. Trust me I know.

Yes all those other veggies are great on grill skewers are great tools for that.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
Bithlord
Pilgrim

Postby Bithlord » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:08 am

Thanks for the ideas! I think we're going to try some mushroom/veggie kabobs grilled and then put em in the smoker for about 5 minutes or so just to pick up a little of that smoke flavor.

The guy is a vegetarian because he opposes farm conditions, so he's fine with eating wild game and fish and I'm not worreid about cross contamination. I just don't have any of that. OK, thats a bit of a lie I have plenty of venison in my freezer from this year... but I want that for me :D
woody wood USER_AVATAR
Woody Wood
Bandolero

Postby Woody Wood » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:20 am

Veggie Kabobs are always a hit :lol:
El Rey Smokers
Traeger
Big Green Egg
MeatChurch BBQ
Oakridge BBQ
Backwoods Spirits

3 Woody's BBQ
danger831 USER_AVATAR
danger831
Rustler

Postby danger831 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:04 am

if it's just farm raised meat he is against then just grill some wild caught US fish and shrimp.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:15 am

danger831 wrote:if it's just farm raised meat he is against then just grill some wild caught US fish and shrimp.

my SIL won't even eat that - - - strictly veggies for him - - even beans that's been cooked with bacon or salt pork is a no no - - - it's his tummy tho and I respect his choice
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
geeksmoke USER_AVATAR
GeekSmoke
Rustler

Postby GeekSmoke » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:29 pm

Never met a vegetarian in a foxhole. Something like that.
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."-John 15:13
"Who is John Galt?"-Ayn Rand
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."-Adam Savage
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:31 am

Code: Select all

The guy is a vegetarian because he opposes farm conditions,

If you buy produce it is" farm grown" I guess it is ok to raise beautiful plant life then rip it from its life giving environment of the earth and starve it of it's food then eat it. :roll:
I'd tell him to pack a lunch I don't cotton to veggies.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:17 am

What I've gathered from living here in the land of tree huggers if that the veggie thing seems to run in degrees.
Level one is "I'm a vegetarian but will eat white meat." Meaning they will eat poultry. Guess pork is out. Turkey, goose and duck ok.
Level two is "I'm a vegetarian but will eat fish"
Level three is "I'm a vegetarian but will eat white meat fish"
Level four is "I'm a vegetarian but will eat eggs and butter and yogurt"
Level five is "I'm a vegetarian but will eat dairy -no eggs"
Level six is "I'm a vegetarian but will wear leather products like shoes, belts, jackets and accessories".
Level seven is "I'm a strict vegetarian".
Level eight is "I'm a vegan" This and the rest of the levels will insist that foods must be prepared in a pure environment (no cooking animals near by.)
Level nine is "I'm a vegan and will only eat certified organic whole foods."
Level ten is "I'm a vegan and my food has to be organic, whole and Non-GMO".

Its easy to spot the last four as they are the ones who are pale, gaunt and look ten years older than they are. The true believers drive a Prius or other hybrid. Their cars will have at least one PETA bumper sticker and frequently a "FREE TIBET" sticker too. A Level ten probably doesn't own a car relying on RTD and friends to get around. They also seem be left leaning group, at least I've never met a right leaning vegan.

I have to give the higher levels (7 = 10) credit for walking the walk. They truly believe that they are making a difference. They have taken the lead in the fight again GMOs, which I don't know enough about to make a call on one way or the other.

Sounds like you guest is a Level One Vegetarian, you should be able to accommodate him with ease.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:05 am

Even tho my SIL is a Veggietarian he is by no menas a Greenie - - - he just wants
to take as good of care of his body as he can.
n2dabluebbq USER_AVATAR
n2dabluebbq
Bandolero

Postby n2dabluebbq » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:59 am

nice dave. stealing/sharing on facebook.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:13 am

n2dabluebbq wrote:nice dave. stealing/sharing on facebook.

I've never been on facebook, or tweet for that matter. 8)
Deputy Dave

Return to “Request a Recipe”