Smoked White Bass and Walleye ?

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

mydogsowner USER_AVATAR
mydogsowner
Wrangler

Smoked White Bass and Walleye ?

Postby mydogsowner » Mon May 02, 2011 10:18 am

When it warms up, I will be hopefully catching lot's of White Bass and Walleye again.

I usually fry them up, but am wondering how they would taste smoked. I already love smoked salmon.

I did a quick search here but didn't see any recipes specific for these fish.

Has anyone tried smoking either? If so how did they come out? Any tips, or hopefully tried and trued recipes?

I guess any smoked fish recipe could be used, but I'm thinking the fat content being different may yield different results?
woody wood USER_AVATAR
Woody Wood
Bandolero

Re: Smoked White Bass and Walleye ?

Postby Woody Wood » Mon May 02, 2011 10:44 am

I know a guy that swears by butter and a little Mrs Dash on white bass. Then he tosses on the smoker. I havent tried it so I dont know how good it is.

I like mine fried :D
El Rey Smokers
Traeger
Big Green Egg
MeatChurch BBQ
Oakridge BBQ
Backwoods Spirits

3 Woody's BBQ
mydogsowner USER_AVATAR
mydogsowner
Wrangler

Postby mydogsowner » Mon May 02, 2011 12:25 pm

I can do either fillets or whole. I haven't done any yet, as I am new to this.

I was thinking I would fillet them and leave the skin on to hold them together on the grates. But, I am open to learning what works well.

Do you have to always brine the fish first?

How long do you smoke for at the higher temps?
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon May 02, 2011 12:35 pm

I have smoked different fish but not walleyes or white bass. I have done carp though and they were good. I always brine the fish in a Mortons Tenderquick solution or Mortons Sugar Cure solution and slow smoke as fish cook very quickly anyway. Of course salmon is my favorite it is a oily fish and smokes well.
I do leave the skin on and brush with veg oil, the skin comes off easily when cooked. Sometimes I also sprinkle with brown sugar.
Brine 3/4 C Mortons TQ to a gallon of water for a few hours or overnight but no longer than that.
tarde venientibus ossa....
mydogsowner USER_AVATAR
mydogsowner
Wrangler

Postby mydogsowner » Mon May 02, 2011 1:24 pm

This sounds easy and yummy. I will have to try it.

We catch a lot of different carp, but I never thought of smoking them. It would be great to find out Asian Carp tasted good this way since they get so big around here in the rivers, and are such a problem now. I have also got drum, buffalo, and grass carp too.

I have had smoked Bluefish from when I lived in the Northeast. They are very oily and they always came out great. I wasn't paying attention though to how they were being prepared and smoked. I wish I had now.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon May 02, 2011 4:46 pm

One time my wife and the neighbor lady canned up a bunch of carp stunk up the house and i said " I ain't eatin' it"........ tasted just like salmon.
mydogsowner USER_AVATAR
mydogsowner
Wrangler

Postby mydogsowner » Mon May 02, 2011 8:48 pm

Hehehe...

My dad has told me that his mother used to make pickled carp balls or something like that. I never tried one, but he says they were real good.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue May 03, 2011 10:08 am

Walleye shouldn't be smoked, way too lean. Fatty fish like Salmon, carp, suckers etc are made for smoking.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Tue May 03, 2011 10:32 am

I'm hooked on blackened fish for lean fish filets. I have tried a couple knock offs for blackened fish seasoning but can't find one that beats the original - Paul Prudhomme's Blackened Red Fish Magic.

Works great outdoors on the grill with a CI skillet. Don't try it indoors unless you have an exhaust fan that can jump start a 747 - you will set off your smoke alarms

Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
mydogsowner USER_AVATAR
mydogsowner
Wrangler

Postby mydogsowner » Tue May 03, 2011 8:48 pm

I think I am agreeing with you on the lean fish thing. Maybe this is why we don't see other fish smoked a whole lot.

Wow, those blackened fillets look AWESOME. I'm going to have to try that too.
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Tue May 03, 2011 9:11 pm

With the fish talk, I decided to pull some bass out of the freezer and blacken them.

A friend had cleaned out his freezer and gave me the fish about a month ago. My traveling companion, bride of 37 years, chief financial officer, head judge and food critic asked how old the fish were and I told her about a month. Then looked at the date on the ziplock - August '09 :lol: :lol:

It was mightyfine. Neaux BGE grill pics - too dark outside
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
mydogsowner USER_AVATAR
mydogsowner
Wrangler

Postby mydogsowner » Tue May 03, 2011 9:33 pm

I have had good luck freezing fish in salted water. You have to cover them all the way in the ziplock baggie. I believe it keeps freezer burn from occurring.

I am truly impressed with how good those look. Lip-smackin' for sure. I forget about blackening food. I always enjoy it when I have it.

Thanks for mentioning this and sharing the pics. Great stuff.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Wed May 04, 2011 5:02 pm

Those do look good restaurants often overdo it and burn the fish but ol' EH's got the knack those are perfect.
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Wed May 04, 2011 6:31 pm

The blackened bass we had last night was outstanding, but

I have been having some mild reactions (tingling in lips but no more) to some fish, including catfish, redfish, speckled trout, and now largemouth bass.

We were on vacation last week and had salmon, mahi mahi, red snapper and even had a bouillibase without any reactions.

Believe me when I say this is not what a normally look like - here I am this morning after a severe alergic reaction

Scared the paint off the walls this morning and my dogs won't play with me :roll:

Decided I would audition for the Michelin Man but the swelling has started to go down. :lol:
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
mydogsowner USER_AVATAR
mydogsowner
Wrangler

Postby mydogsowner » Wed May 04, 2011 7:20 pm

WOW. That looks pretty bad. And you say some of the swelling has gone down?

I have had some weird reactions to some types of soy sauce, but don't know which ones. I had hives all over my body that itched like crazy a few times after eating out. I keep liquid benadryl, the stronger strength, on hand, just in case now.

I also saw an allergist who prescribed me an epi pen, once he figured it was the soy that caused me the reaction.

Food allergies can get more severe with each episode. Bug bites won't. If you don't have an epi pen already, I strongly urge you to see your Dr. about getting one and keeping handy.

Your fishing friend, and nurse,
Lisa

Return to “Request a Recipe”