Baked Beans

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

mechnech USER_AVATAR
Mechnech
Bandolero

Baked Beans

Postby Mechnech » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:24 pm

Got a fair recipe for em, but I thought I might check to see if anyone has a really great one.
Shop built Reverse Flow Smoker
UDS
Weber Genesis E-320
More CI than I can carry
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Re: Baked Beans

Postby nascarchuck » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:30 pm

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com/200 ... beans.html

DUTCH’S WICKED BAKED BEANS
(Beans that will even make Chili Heads happy)

6-8 strips of bacon cut into 1/2 inch squares
1/2 Medium onion, diced
1/2 Bell pepper, diced
2 - 3 Jalapeño Peppers, diced (seeding is optional)
1 - 55 ounce can Bush’s Baked Beans
1-8 ounce can of pineapple chunks, drained
1 Cup Brown Sugar, packed
1 Cup ketchup
3 Tbs. Worcestershire Sauce (good quality such as Lee & Perrin’s)
1/2 - 1 Tbs. dry (ground) mustard

Sauté bacon pieces in fry pan until crispy and remove from pan with a slotted spoon. Sauté onion, bell pepper and jalapeño pepper until tender.

In a large mixing bowl combine beans, pineapple, brown sugar, ketchup and dry mustard. Stir in bacon pieces and vegetables. Pour into a 12X9 or a deep 9X9 aluminum baking pan. (While mixing if things look dry, add additional ketchup 1/4 -1/2 cup at a time)

Place in a 220-250° smoker for 2 1/2 – 3 hours (make sure temperature of the baked beans reaches 160°) or place in a 350° oven and bake for 1 hour.

NOTE: If you are making these beans as a side dish for pork ribs, smoke the removed skirt meat for 1-1 1/2 hours, then dice the skirt meat and stir into the Baked Beans in place of the bacon.

DISCLAIMER:

With the Jalapeño pepper and the dry mustard these beans have the potential for some MAJOR heat. CAUTION should be exercised when feeding these beans to small children and/or the elderly.

To make this recipe Family Friendly, omit the Jalapeño pepper and the dry mustard.
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:45 am

Are you looking for traditional Boston Baked Beans or something else? If you're looking for BBBs, then I'll get a hold my sis as she is the holder of grand ma's recipe collection. I do remember that it uses Northern Beans and Molasses but not much else.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:43 am

I have a Baked Bean (pork-n-bean based) recipe that is really sweet - is that what you are looking for?
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
mechnech USER_AVATAR
Mechnech
Bandolero

Postby Mechnech » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:34 pm

I don't want to get real fancy right now, I was looking for something as a side for a get together for around 80 people...MIL's 80th birthday, so I got to keep it tame. But for cooking for home I would try either if ya want to part with em.
UDS
Weber Genesis E-320
More CI than I can carry
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:05 pm

I sent an email off to my sis.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:03 pm

Grannies Boston Baked Bean recipe here:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=14186
Enjoy
Deputy Dave

mechnech USER_AVATAR
Mechnech
Bandolero

Postby Mechnech » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:27 am

Thanks DATs, will give em a try. This go around think I will try Dutch's that Chuck posted, sounds like it would work fine on the pit. Thanks again ya'll.
UDS
Weber Genesis E-320
More CI than I can carry
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:52 am

Mechnech wrote:Thanks DATs, will give em a try. This go around think I will try Dutch's that Chuck posted, sounds like it would work fine on the pit. Thanks again ya'll.

Good call. Since the BBB are from scratch I don't have a figure on how much longer they would take in a pit running at 250° vs an oven at 350°. Guess a guy could sub canned Navy Beans to speed up the process but that would be iffy as the molasses cooks into the beans turning them white to near black.
Deputy Dave

cliffcarter USER_AVATAR
CliffCarter
Cowboy

Postby CliffCarter » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:42 pm

Dave's recipe is close to what I have used for years(baked beans were a Sat. night staple growing up), except I omit the onion, decrease the molasses to 3/8 cup, increase the dry mustard to 1 tsp and cut the pork(no bacon) into cubes and fry in the dutch oven until lightly browned. IMHO no more effort is needed to make these from scratch than is needed to open the cans and then put in all the extra stuff. I cook my beans at 300° in the oven, as long as the liquid is bubbling they sould cook just fine in the pit at 250°.

Return to “Request a Recipe”