Vegetarian Sausage

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Vegetarian Sausage

Postby copkid » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:35 pm

Ok, I know I will catch alot of grief for this question, but can anyone direct me to a good recipe for something like this? For the 2011 season of Blue Stars Drum and Bugle Corp, I am kind of taking over the vegetarian and special needs diets! (for those who know me pretty well, I love to cook and smoke meat, but am not a big eater of it!)
Anyways, I'm thinking all the same spices for regular sausage, but would I use rice? Barley? As far as what to keep it together. I'm not real worried about a meat texture, as most vegetarians just don't like the texture and/or taste of meat.
We really neglected our special diet needs kids, this past season, and I don't want to see it happen again!
TIA~
Laura
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
BAR "G" BBQ
Outlaw

Re: Vegetarian Sausage

Postby BAR "G" BBQ » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:51 pm

Dang Gal I sure wish I could lend some advice but close as I have come to veg has been salad and raw broc since late July until present day. I would be willing to bet Papa Tom will be along sooner than not and if anyone can help he would be the man.
BAR "G"
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:28 pm

Ya might try this website, they use alot of bulgar wheat and beans in there recipes,
Good luck
http://www.webvalue.net/recipes/sausage.htm
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
texas blues USER_AVATAR
Texas Blues
Cowboy

Postby Texas Blues » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:41 pm

Rice works fine as does barley. An example is boudin snausage which uses rice. They are both pretty neutral in flavor so you might want to season more than you would for any meat. You can make snausage out of anythang as long as it has some kind of fat. In lieu of pork fat or some such you can sub crisco. Mix it with some masa or grind up some corn chips and mix it with that and then into whatever veg combo you want. Another way to go is with using some cheese to sub for the fat. Either way, just make sure you use good casings that won't blow up when the crisco/fat/cheese heats up and expands. Buenos suerte with that.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:56 pm

Only Laura would come to a Texas BBQ forum looking for vegan recipes!

Well you could use some texturized vegetable protein (TVP check health food stores) to replace meat in recipes like boudin that are primarily vegetable anyway.
Could have PT check his sausage recipe archives.....

Vegetarian Sausage

2 c. cooked soybeans
1 c. cooked dry lima beans
1 c. cooked dry navy beans
2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. paprika
1 T. melted butter
1/4 tsp. sage
1/4 tsp. thyme
1/4 tsp. marjoram
1/8 tsp. summer savory
1 egg, beaten
2/3 c. milk
1 c. cornmeal
Preheat oven to 500 deg F. Press the beans through a colander. Addspices. Shape mixture into patties. Combine egg and milk. Dippatties into egg, then into cornmeal. Place in well oiled roastingpan. Bake until sausages are browned on all sides, turning during cooking.

VEG CHORIZO

2 cups (dried, not reconstituted) TVP
6 dried anchos or new mexico chile or some combination of the two
2 dried chipotles, optional, if you want smokey flavor
1/2 ts coriander seeds
3 whole cloves
1/2 ts pepercorns
1/2 ts oregano
1/4 ts cumin seeds
small piece cinnamon, about 1/3" X 3/4"
8 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed.
2 ts paprika
2 ts salt
1/4 cup vinegar
1/2 cup red wine
3/4 cup water or stock
1/4 cup of oil or more
Toast chiles in wok/cast iron skillet until they start to smell roasted. Make sure you don't burn them. Open them and discard seeds and membrane. Cool.
Toast the whole seeds and cinammon on low in wok/skillet till you smell the roasted smell and cumin is a few shades darker. Do not burn them. Cool down.
Put everything except TVP and liquids into a spice mill and grind. You will probably have to do it in batches. (You may use a blender also, but then add the liquid before blending.)
Put TVP in a container. Add spice mixture and liquid and pressed garlic.
Stir. (If TVP isn't fully reconstituted after 20 minutes--use your intuition--add some stock, stir, wait another 10 min, and check again.) Add oil.
Stir. Cover well, and stick in your fridge for about 2 days. Really do this. The flavors need to blend. You might want to stir it once or twice a day.
For one serving suggestion, mix with boiled , cubed potatoes.
Variations: Please experiment with the proportions of the spices. Adjust the wine/vinegar/water ratios if you'd like, but keep the liquid total at 1 1/2 cups. Also, using crumbled tempeh or ground seitan instead of tvp would also be intresting

TASTES OF WALES

Glamorgan Sausages- Selsig Morgannwg
6 oz (150 g) breadcrumbs
3 oz (75 g) Caerphilly or Cheddar cheese
1 small leek
1 oz (25 g) butter
Pinch of dry mustard
Chopped parsley and ground black pepper
2 tablespoons plain flour 1 egg
Grate the cheese
Skin and cut up the onion and fry in the butter until softened
Mix the cheese, onion and breadcrumbs together
Season with the chopped parsley, ground black pepper and a pinch of dry mustard
Separate the egg
Use the yolk to bind the mixture
Form into sausages and roll in the flour
Gently fry until brown and crisp all over
tarde venientibus ossa....
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:37 pm

Thanks everyone! I knew you would all come to my rescue!
Next weekend is our first camp of the 2011 season, and we are expecting close to 500 kids auditioning! During regular camps when all positions are filled, we can usually count on about 15 vegetarians, or kids who are gluten free, nut allergies, you name it! For one of our morning breakfasts, we are going to do biscuits and gravy, and I wanted to do a gravy to offer for special diets.
PT, that first recipe sounds interesting, especially since I don't have to worry about casings. I can always cook the beans ahead of time, strain, and freeze.
We often try the soy or meat substitutes in things, but the cost is horrific and outrageous. It is not cheap to be vegetarian!!!!!!!!!!!!
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope

-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!

Return to “Request a Recipe”