Having a family cook off need help!!!!!!!

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

lure buddy USER_AVATAR
lure buddy
Pilgrim

Having a family cook off need help!!!!!!!

Postby lure buddy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:35 am

Well my family has decided to have a burger cook off for the 4th. I have had a prime rib burger from "The Cotton Gin" in Crandall. This is one of the best burgers I have ever eaten. It is made from the trimmings of a prime rib. I do not know how they made this thing and were to start. I was wondering if anyone here know how to do this burger? Also if you have any suggestions on a winning recipe? I guess this is going to become an annual tradition now :lol:

Thanks
Bobby
Rooster
Cowboy

Re: Having a family cook off need help!!!!!!!

Postby Rooster » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:14 pm

Go to the Brookshires in Terrell. My father in law is the market manager there and will probably grind the meat for you.
hj USER_AVATAR
Hj
Bandolero

Postby Hj » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:03 am

lur buddy

suggestions for hamburger- Use Costco's cheap hamburger that is made from all pieces of meat including prime rib -sirloin n porthouse with others for making the burgers. Season meat with garlic granular n pepper ___Salt after grilling!

Maybe stuff insides of burger- incasing with cream cheese or cheese or Mexican Blend cheese n roasted green chilies or serrano's mixed.
Grill n top toasted buns or hoggies with very thin avocado slices-thin slices red onion n more chile peppers with lettuce or spinach n favorite dressings.

Or try an incased type meatloaf burger with avocado-bacon n swiss cheese n any toppings.

Burger with Monterey seasonings-pepper n garlic granular -grilled- n toppings of those dried onion rings...Hope suggestions help.

Get creative n think out of the box as to what you like to eat with a burger n go from there..

Try a shrimp/crab burger with ground chicken or turkey n some beef mixed in..using seafood seasonings ... Good luck
A mistake is sometimes a great creation
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:49 am

Most "experts" will tell you that the perfect burger is 5oz (precooked) and 20% fat. Too lean and it will be dry, less lean and it will shrink up leaving you with the question of where's the beef?
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
cliffcarter USER_AVATAR
CliffCarter
Cowboy

Postby CliffCarter » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:14 am

Make 3 burgers from 1 pound of meat
I use 85% lean because I get fewer flare ups and too many flare ups give burgers a dark greasy look that I find unappetizing.
I cover with a liberal dusting of the following rub-
1/4 cup turbinado sugar
2 tbs paprika
2 tbs chile powder
1 tbs garlic granules
1 tbs onion granules
1 tsp cayenne pepper

Cook over direct heat until well browned on both sides and the sugar has carmelized into nice dark grill marks, then place them away from the heat and cook indirectly until done(when that is is up to your tastes, not mine). I like mine with a slice of sweet onion, mayo, mustard and kethcup, YMMV.
They always turn out moist and flavorful when I cook them this way.

Return to “Request a Recipe”