Key Lime Pie

The sweet ending to a perfect meal.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txbbqgal USER_AVATAR
TXBBQGal
Wrangler

Key Lime Pie

Postby TXBBQGal » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:20 am

I've got a Key Lime tree and it's got a fairly good crop (at least 50 to 75 limes on it) I've picked some and hopefully tomorrow (after I go back to the store to get some eggs :oops: ) I'll make one. I'll post pictures as soon as I get it done. :wink:

Key Lime Pie

Serves 8 to 10

Lime Filling
4 teaspoons grated zest plus 1/2 cup strained juice from 3 or 4 limes
4 large egg yolks
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
Graham Cracker Crust
11 full-size graham crackers, processed to fine crumbs (1 1/4 cups)
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cups Whipped Cream, made without vanilla and whipped to stiff peaks
1/2 lime, sliced paper thin and dipped in sugar (optional)
1. For the filling: Whisk zest and yolks in medium bowl until tinted light green, about 2 minutes. Beat in milk, then juice; set aside at room temperature to thicken.
2. For the crust: Adjust oven rack to center position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Mix crumbs and sugar in medium bowl. Add butter; stir with fork until well blended. Scrape mixture into 9-inch pie pan. Press crumbs evenly onto bottom and up sides of pie plate. Once crumbs are in place, line pan flush with large square of plastic wrap, and use spoon to smooth crumbs into curves and sides of pan. Refrigerate lined pie plate 20 minutes to firm crumbs. Bake until lightly browned and fragrant, about 15 minutes. Transfer pan to wire rack; cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes.
3. Pour lime filling into crust; bake until center is set yet wiggly when jiggled, 15 to 17 minutes. Return pie to wire rack; cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 3 hours. (Can be covered with lightly oiled or oil- sprayed plastic wrap laid directly on filling and refrigerated up to 1 day.)
4. Decoratively pipe whipped cream over filling or spread evenly with rubber spatula. Garnish with optional sugared lime slices and serve.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Re: Key Lime Pie

Postby JamesB » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:10 am

That sounds some kind of good! Looking forward to the pics. 8)
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:15 am

Yummmmm, one of my favorites!!!
Dittos with James!
dj

JamesB wrote:That sounds some kind of good! Looking forward to the pics. 8)
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
jack2u2 USER_AVATAR
JaCK2U2
Chuck Wagon

Postby JaCK2U2 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:22 am

I just gained 5 lbs. reading the recipe. Sounds mighty good!
Jack
Jr. C's BBQ
http://www.jrcsbbqandseasonings.com" target="_blank

Homemade upright drum smoker
Backwoods Party
GSW upright (now deceased)
nice gas grill
Weber 27" grill
Weber rotisserie
nbrdnck
Bandolero

Postby nbrdnck » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:19 am

that has to be my favorit pie. i cant wait till my honey moon to land in florida and i hope i can have me a slice of home made pie. well store bought but you know what yall get the concept.
RedNeck
txbbqgal USER_AVATAR
TXBBQGal
Wrangler

Postby TXBBQGal » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:36 pm

Just came out of the oven...pictures tomorrow!!

***pictures are in :wink:

The crust looks burnt but it's not. The lighting wasn't the greatest.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:14 am

Looks good. :D

I have a couple questions. What color are these limes and how big around ( dia of the lime ) are they? Just asking because of the amounts listed in the recipe.
Jim
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:19 am

I could go for a piece of that!
txbbqgal USER_AVATAR
TXBBQGal
Wrangler

Postby TXBBQGal » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:41 pm

I picked them just before they turned yellow. So they were for the most part and dark green to a light green in color. Size is from a dime to a quarter...it took alot of them to make this! I started out with a gallon sized bag almost half full and was left with 2 limes.

I think the recipe is assuming you will be using persian limes. So if you use Key Limes assume you will be using a lot of them.

OSD wrote:Looks good. :D

I have a couple questions. What color are these limes and how big around ( dia of the lime ) are they? Just asking because of the amounts listed in the recipe.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:54 pm

TXBBQGal wrote:I picked them just before they turned yellow. So they were for the most part and dark green to a light green in color. Size is from a dime to a quarter...it took alot of them to make this! I started out with a gallon sized bag almost half full and was left with 2 limes.

I think the recipe is assuming you will be using persian limes. So if you use Key Limes assume you will be using a lot of them.

That's why I wondered. :D I know the ones we use are around the size of a ping pong ball to maybe golf ball size and it takes 12-15 of them for a pie. We wait to use them until they are ripe ( mostly yellow color ) when we make pies.
Jim
txbbqgal USER_AVATAR
TXBBQGal
Wrangler

Postby TXBBQGal » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:03 pm

OSD wrote:
TXBBQGal wrote:I picked them just before they turned yellow. So they were for the most part and dark green to a light green in color. Size is from a dime to a quarter...it took alot of them to make this! I started out with a gallon sized bag almost half full and was left with 2 limes.

That's why I wondered. :D I know the ones we use are around the size of a ping pong ball to maybe golf ball size and it takes 12-15 of them for a pie. We wait to use them until they are ripe ( mostly yellow color ) when we make pies.

You know I questioned when to pick them. Most websites said to pick them before they turn too yellow otherwise they'd be bitter BUT I know that's their ripe stage. The pie turned out great except I'd cut down on the amount of zest to 3 teaspoons (too much for my taste.)
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:06 pm

Yummmm, Looks Xcellent!
dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com

Caldwell, Texas Native

Return to “Desserts”