Cherry Pie

The sweet ending to a perfect meal.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Allie

Cherry Pie

Postby Allie » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:05 am

A few weeks ago, Les was working at a house with a cherry tree. It was just full of ripe cherries and the owner told him to pick as many as he wanted. he picked a grocery bag (the plastic ones) full and brought them home to me. I made my first ever fresh cherry pies. I don't like the canned pie filling stuff and expected it to taste similar. This was a lot different from that!

Here's the recipe:

Cherry Pie
2 pie crusts (I just used the ones in the box but you could surely make your own.)
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup sugar (1 1/4 cup for tart cherries......that's what I had)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 cups pitted cherries

Preheat oven to 425.

Mix flour, sugar, cinnamon, and cherries together in a zip bag. It mixes better in the bag than in a bowl and you don't mash the cherries too much.

Place into the pie crust. Pour cherry mixture in the crust. Cover with the second pie crust and cut notches in it for steam. Brush crust with milk and dust with sugar.

Place pie in oven (on a cookie sheet or pizza pan because it will overflow) for 25 minutes at 425. Reduce temperature to 350 and bake another 25-30 minutes until the crust is browned.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:51 am

That sounds real good. :D I like the tart cherries better in pies than the sweet ones. 8)
Jim
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:04 am

That does look good! I copied it and will show the wife since she's the baker/desert chef of the family!
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:17 am

tart is the way to go. sounds great allie :D

Return to “Desserts”