Homemade ice cream

The sweet ending to a perfect meal.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Homemade ice cream

Postby Txdragon » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:23 pm

Ok.. Who makes it? I have thought about getting an ice cream machine but got to reading up on some recipes online and it "seems" to be more work than I expected. A lot of wait and rest time, etc. So.. Anyone make homemade ice cream? Pointers, tips, advice? Any recipes to share? ;) 8)
(Insert witty signature here)
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Re: Homemade ice cream

Postby Russ » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:46 pm

I'm the same as you,BUT wife bought me the machine a year ago, I read the instructions.......it's still sitting in the garage. I get a ribbing about it every now n then. I should make the effort.??

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:51 pm

Russ wrote:I'm the same as you,BUT wife bought me the machine a year ago, I read the instructions.......it's still sitting in the garage. I get a ribbing about it every now n then. I should make the effort.??

Russ

Man, i'm tellin' ya.. I used to watch the Iron Chef shows on food network and I just don't understand how they were able to make stuff like cayenne, bacon, double fudge, strawberry ice cream in less than an hour when some of the plain vanilla recipes I found require at least 24 :banghead:
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:05 pm

Txd we are picking fresh strawberries from our garden ATM. I've made strawberry jam, coulis but now you got me thinking strawberry ice cream. I'll let you know if I can find all my parts to the maker. Keep you informed.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:57 pm

Please do sir!
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:38 am

Home made ice cream, man that bring's back some memories. I sat on the ice cream maker many summer afternoon's while my dad turned the crank.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:02 am

yeah, what Willie said, :tup: I'm on my way out the door but when I get back I'll see iffin I can find my Mom's old recipe - - - I do know that it had Junket Mix in it and was the best I've ever had. :salut:

L8tr G8tr,
Em
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:38 am

We got the kids an ice cream "maker" for christmas. Makes a pint at a time, but it's not just a sit and spin. They have to be involved.

https://www.amazon.com/Yaylabs-SoftShel ... 1F7102B6DE

Over all, takes about half an hour to forty-five minutes to make the pint. For the first trial run, we used a basic Ben and Jerry's Sweet cream recipe and added a tbs of vanilla extract.

It turned out really well and the kids loved the family participation.
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:17 pm

OK, I had to make a phone call or two but ?I think? I have Mom's Ice Cream Mix Recipe. :tup:
BE ADVISED that we always made this in a hand crank freezer, adding rock salt and crushed ice while turning (cranking) - - - also make sure that the drain hole in the side of the freezer is open to drain the melted salty water while cranking- - - - When the crank got very stiff and hard to turn Mom removed the "dash", put something over the cap hole such as wax paper or foil and then packed it in more ice and covered with a large terry cloth towel - - - then it sits for at least an hour befor consuming - - - as far as WHO gets to lick the dash when removed, THAT is a FAMILY MATTER :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

six whole eggs
one gallon sweet milk
one can Eagle Brand milk
one box Junket Mix
three tblsp flour
one tsp van extract
two cups sugar
pinch of salt

FWIW - - - even with my age, aches and pains, IF I purchased an Ice Cream Freezer, IT WOULD BE A CRANK TYPE :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:37 am

Thanks TX for bringing up home made ice cream
Brings back lots of good memories :D
My pops loved making ice cream when us kids where growing up and yea OUP it was with a hand rank machine.
For every birthday of us boys pops would get out the ice cream maker and mom would make a German Sweet Chocolate cake from scratch. Oh baby !!!

My mom gave me dads machine when he passed away a few years back. When all us boys moved out of the house pops upgraded to a electric machine. It's pretty old but I'm going see if it will fire up.

She still works :lol: and the instructions are still readable. :D
If it ever warms up around here I'm going to give it a go :cheers:

Thanks
Bill

Bill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:19 pm

Wow, Wild Bill, what a nice keep sake and ?if it works? then even better - - - if I ever see an old hand crank at any flea mkts or yard sales, I'm scarfing up on it - arthritis or not :laughing7: :D :lol:
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:56 pm

I remember my Meemaw making snow ice cream…she got the snow off the hood of my Peepaws Ford LTD. glad he kept a clean car :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:57 pm

bsooner75 wrote:I remember my Meemaw making snow ice cream…she got the snow off the hood of my Peepaws Ford LTD. glad he kept a clean car :)

when we lived in Summit County Colorado one year a bunch of us decided to back pack up to timberline and Elk Hunt, knowing full well that we would have to quarter and tote any meat out if someone killed one - - - - - I had put some vanilla extract, pet milk and sugar in a side pocket of my back pack and the last afternoon I knew that everyone would be gathering at a certain time at base camp to all walk out together - - - - so about an hour before time to leave, I whopped up some snow ice cream in my canteen cup and set it over in a snow bank to keep froze - - - as everyone gathered and was almost ready to leave, I just reached over and got the cup of ice cream and started eating it - - - then my buddy said what the ??? are you eating now?? I said Ice Cream and he snatched it from my hand, tasted it and said something that can't be posted here on the Forum :laughing7: :D :lol: then he wouldn't give it back to me or at least he thought he wasn't going to :laughing7: :D :lol:
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:47 pm

Ta da!!! Found the base for the ice cream maker, wife thinks she knows where the motor stirrer thing is, report back when I have a go at ice cream.we are picking fresh strawberries so it might be that .

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:44 pm

Good stuff posted since I last checked up here! Bill: Happy to bring back some good memories! Let us know how the first batch comes out for ya.
OUP, thanks for that recipe! I will give that a whirl when I get my IC maker ;) Russ: I need to get with my aunt when it's strawberry season; she lives in the strawberry capital of Texas; Poteet.
TX1911, That is a nifty little gadget. So you mix all the ingredients then play kickball?

Return to “Desserts”