Cheesecake

The sweet ending to a perfect meal.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Cheesecake

Postby OSD » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:27 am

We make several of these around the holidays. We also make them in cupcake pan and papers for individual snacks for big and small kids.

CHEESECAKE

CRUST
1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs(about 15 squares)
2 Tblsp sugar
3 Tblsp melted butter
FILLING
19 oz cream cheese(softened)
1 cup sugar
2 tsp grated lemon peel
1/4 tsp vanilla
3 Whole eggs

CRUST
1 - Heat oven to 350*. Mix cracker crumbs, 2 tablespoons sugar, and the butter. Press in bottom of 9-inch springform pan. Bake for 10 min. Let cool. or use 2 6oz premade pie crusts
FILLING
1 - Heat oven to 300*. Beat cream cheese in large mixer bowl. Add 1 cup sugar gradually,beating until fluffy. Add lemon peel and vanilla. Beat in 1 egg at a time. Pour over crumb mixture.
2 - Bake until center is firm, about 1 hour. Cool to room Temp. Refrigerate at least 3 hours but no longer than 10 days.

Servings: 12

Cooking Tips
Toppings
Precooked pie filling ( Comstock more fruit-works great ) or cinnamon & nutmeg
Jim
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:10 am

Ahhh, I like me some cheesecake :D
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
Kalrog
Rustler

Postby Kalrog » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:41 am

My dad has become somewhat of an expert on cheesecake. He does it low and slow, takes about 18 hours, but I'll postpone posting the recipe until I can get it from him. The end result is GREAT! Better than anything I have ever had at any restaurant. I think the Key Lime version has been my favorite so far.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:53 pm

Kalrog wrote:My dad has become somewhat of an expert on cheesecake. He does it low and slow, takes about 18 hours, but I'll postpone posting the recipe until I can get it from him. The end result is GREAT! Better than anything I have ever had at any restaurant. I think the Key Lime version has been my favorite so far.

And I'll wait right here..... :)
tarde venientibus ossa....
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:54 pm

Thanks OSD appreciate the recipe....
Kalrog
Rustler

Postby Kalrog » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:47 am

Got it. This is just the general one, but flavors can (of course) be added. Try some fresh key lime additions...

Crust
1 cup graham cracker crumbs 1 tablespoon sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon 4 tablespoons butter, melted

Filling:

40 ounces cream cheese, softened 5 eggs
1 ¾ cup sugar 2 egg yolks
3 tablespoons flour ¾ cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

For crust, mix crumbs, cinnamon, sugar and butter and press into a 9 inch springform pan. Chill before filling. Blend cream cheese, sugar and flour and beat well. Add eggs and yolks one at a time, beating after each addition. Stir in milk and vanilla. Pour filling over crust and bake at 475 degrees for 10-15 minutes. Lower temperature to 200 degrees and bake for 1 – 1 ½ hour longer. (Depends on how firmly the cheesecake is set) Leave cheesecake in oven until cool. Serves 12. (This is best when made the day before and allowed to cool in refrigerator.)
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:13 am

Thanks for the recipes, y'all! They look great!

'Course, my MIL is from Queens, NY and grew up on the stuff, so any cheesecake I make is up against some tough competition. :wink:

And no, she won't share a recipe. I asked. :(
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:38 am

TX Sandman wrote:Thanks for the recipes, y'all! They look great!

'Course, my MIL is from Queens, NY and grew up on the stuff, so any cheesecake I make is up against some tough competition. :wink:

And no, she won't share a recipe. I asked. :(

And I thought you were her favorite Rob!!! :P
Great recipes guys!
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:53 am

I *am* her favorite Rob! (Only one in the family, so I win by default. :wink: )

Part of the problem is there really isn't a written recipe. She grew up makin' it, but nothin' was written down. Also, Grandma Kral made it better'n anyone, so Marie's always felt hers doesn't measure up.

(Generations of family attitudes and dynamics there. It's taken me 15 years to beat some of that garbage outta Karen's and Marie's heads. :evil: )
Rob - TX Sandman

Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."

Steven Raichlen
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:33 pm

TX Sandman wrote:I *am* her favorite Rob! (Only one in the family, so I win by default. :wink: )

Part of the problem is there really isn't a written recipe. She grew up makin' it, but nothin' was written down.
Also, Grandma Kral made it better'n anyone, so Marie's always felt hers doesn't measure up.

(Generations of family attitudes and dynamics there. It's taken me 15 years to beat some of that garbage outta Karen's and Marie's heads. :evil: )

Sounds like my mothers rhubarb pie by far the best I've ever had but she's gone now and it is lost forever... Part of it was the rhubarb, she got a start from a widow lady by the name of June Beachler in the early '50s really superior culivar. I tried to propagate some when she sold the place but I lived too far south and it didn't make it.

Return to “Desserts”