Red White and Blue Shortcakes

The sweet ending to a perfect meal.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Red White and Blue Shortcakes

Postby TX Sandman » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:24 pm

Nothin' difficult about this dessert. Just a light course after some heavy brisket. I was lucky to get fresh fruit, but I'm sure frozen would work. Just thaw it first, or expect crunchy results. :wink:

Red, White, and Blue Shortcakes

1 package strawberries (about 1 lb, IIRC)
1 package blueberries (again, 1 lb, IIRC)
1 container whipped cream (I used the spray stuff from the milk case)
1 package shortcakes

1. Rinse the fruit well.
2. Hull and quarter the strawberries and place in a bowl.
3. Place the blueberries in a bowl.
4. Assemble the desserts to personal preferences. Place some fruit inside the cup, top with whipped cream, more fruit, and another shot of cream. If you want to be fancy, top with a fresh sprig of mint or a couple of strawberry slices, artfully arranged.

Please note: any fresh fruit would work. Raspberries or blackberries would be interesting, and tangerine, pineapple, and mango would be a good tropical twist. Slices of pound cake or angel food cake can easily sub for the shortcakes, and you can use any whipped topping you like. If you're adventurous, maybe take a tub of Cool Whip and mix in a tsp of a flavored extract, like rum or mint.

:scratch: Hmmm, I think I'll have to try pineapple shortcakes with rum-flavored topping. Maybe grilled pineapple, rum-infused, with cinnamon sugar . . .
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:39 pm

Cool & refreshing dessert for the hot summer. :D :D 8)
Jim

Return to “Desserts”