Pickled eggs...

Salads, slaws, veggies, chili, soup, anything you serve with a meal.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

cowboylikeme USER_AVATAR
Cowboylikeme
Pilgrim

Pickled eggs...

Postby Cowboylikeme » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:51 pm

I just finished watching surfinsapos video on his pickled okra and I noticed that some of you guys may be intrested on pickling a few things.... (the okra looks killer btw sapo)

I have never made pickled okra but I plan on trying it myself. I usually just buy it already made and my wife loves it, so it only makes sense to make my own.

Anyway, I make pickled eggs about once every two months or so, and I wanted to share my recipe for them with you guys. I would post a few pics of them but I dont have any eggs on hand to show you. ( I will when I make my next batch )

The size of the jar is up to you, I usually use a ball quart jar.

you will need the following..

Peeled hard boiled eggs (however many you can fit inside of your jar)
2 or 3 cloves of minced garlic
2 or 3 green onions cut into 3 inch long pieces
1 jalapeno cut into slices
white vinegar
and a bottle or two of louisiana hot sauce (dont let this frighten you away, lol)

place the jar, lid and ring (or just lid if using a regular pickle jar) into boiling water for a minute or two... (this will sterilize the jar and lid to help prevent unwanted bacteria from contaminating your eggs)

Pull jar out of boiling water very carefully and start placing your goodies into the jar, I usually do it in layers... I place garlic, a few jalapeno slices, some eggs, some onions, some more garlic, jalapenos, eggs ect ect..... untill the jar is full.

Next, pour in the white vinegar untill it is about 1/3 the way up in the jar
Then fill the jar the rest of the way up with the louisiana hot sauce...(leave about a half inch of room at the top)

Now this is the tricky part, if your using a ball/mason jar, follow the directions that came with your jars to properly seal them. This usually involves placing the lid onto the jar and putting the ring on but not tight and submerging the jars into a boiling waterbath (just like surfinsapo did in his pickled okra video).... then tightening the ring once the jars have cooled.

If your using a regular 1 piece lid like those found on typical pickle jars, DO NOT place the lid onto the jar just yet.... set the jar into enough water to come within a half inch of the rim and bring it up to a boil with the jar in the water. Once the water comes to a boil, continue boiling for at least 5 minutes (I place the lid into the water also to keep it sterilized untill its needed)... After 5 minutes of boiling, pull the jar and lid out of the water very carefully and immediately place the lid onto the jar and tighten it down using a towel or something to prevent burning. Once the jar cools down it will create a vacuum and seal properly.

You then put them somewhere safe and forget about them for at least 2 weeks.... This is hard to do if your looking forward to trying one.... I let mine sit for 1 month. The longer you wait, the better they get.

Now you guys must be thinking, Those have got to be hot, using all that hot sauce..... Yes they are spicy, but not at all hot. Louisiana hot sauce isnt really hot, its just spicy.. Nothing like tabasco. Tabasco sauce would make them VERY hot. They actually come out very mild and packed with flavor. Once you open them, you have to put them in the fridge or they will go bad... (mine dont last long enough to go bad lol) I will pull out a jar of them while watching a football game with friends and the whole jar is usually eaten during the course of the game because they go great with beer.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!! :wink:
jack2u2 USER_AVATAR
JaCK2U2
Chuck Wagon

Re: Pickled eggs...

Postby JaCK2U2 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:50 pm

I have long wanted to do eggs - now I have a way to start. Thanks for the info!
Jack
Jr. C's BBQ
http://www.jrcsbbqandseasonings.com" target="_blank

Homemade upright drum smoker
Backwoods Party
GSW upright (now deceased)
nice gas grill
Weber 27" grill
Weber rotisserie
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:19 pm

Pickled eggs are good eatin'. We always add a little beet juice to ours, gives them that off-red color.
Jim
wbbq USER_AVATAR
WBBQ
Bandolero

Postby WBBQ » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:19 am

Sounds good, I'll have to try it.

Weldon
Weldon

Lone Star Grillz Large Cabinet Smoker
Old Country Pecos Smoker
Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron Pellet Smoker
Monolith BBQ Guru Edition Kamado Smoker
Sunterra 36" Santa Maria Grill
Weber Gas Grill
kenny 13 USER_AVATAR
Kenny 13
Outlaw

Postby Kenny 13 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:16 pm

Gonna bookmark this. Can't wait to try it!
Large Big Green Egg
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold

What's On The Grill?
cowboylikeme USER_AVATAR
Cowboylikeme
Pilgrim

Postby Cowboylikeme » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:48 pm

Just made another batch.... MMMM MMMM GOOD!
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:38 am

I've made 'em with cider vinegar too. I love 'em, the Mrs not so much. :lol:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
sharkie USER_AVATAR
Sharkie
Rustler

Postby Sharkie » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:55 am

We Vacationed once in Blueye, AR and stopped by the liqour store just in time for the Police report, the town is quite small so this was a big deal. Someone snuck in the store while the clerk was busy with another customer and had the nerve to steal the gallon jar of pickled eggs. This warranted a Police report. LOL I was MAD because those must have been some really good pickled eggs. Cant wait to try this recipe Cowboylikeme. Thanks for sharing! :o) Last ones I made were called Thunderbolt eggs- Omg...folks were scared to try them LMAO...heres the reciept if you want it LOL.
Thunderbolt Eggs
2 dozen hard-boiled eggs (peeled)
4 cups Heinz Distilled White Vinegar
1/8 cup vegetable oil
1 jar sliced hot jalapenos with juice (15 oz.)
1 medium onion (chopped fine)
3 tbsp. Hot habanero Tabasco sauce
2 tbsp. Salt
1 tbsp. Garlic salt
1 tbsp. Crushed red pepper
1 tbsp. Ground ginger
1 tbsp. Crushed garlic
Directions:
Bring all of the above ingredients (except eggs) to a boil for 10 minutes in a covered pan.
Place the hard-boiled eggs in a container and pour the mixture over the eggs. Allow eggs to marinate in refrigerator for a minimum of 7 days before serving
s.o.l. bbq USER_AVATAR
S.O.L. BBQ
Cowboy

Postby S.O.L. BBQ » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:21 am

Thanks to all going make some this weekend . Will make a couple different batches and see which one I like the best.
hj USER_AVATAR
Hj
Bandolero

Postby Hj » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:57 pm

Yes can't wait to try Ur recipe n they sound wonderful n hot

Try them in penrose juice also yum
Ever tried with Quail eggs golly that is excellent also n with beets.

Mouth is almost tasting n brain is saying go make some NOW>>LOL

Thxs for sharing
A mistake is sometimes a great creation

Return to “Sides and Such”