'Busted Pinto Beans

Salads, slaws, veggies, chili, soup, anything you serve with a meal.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

'Busted Pinto Beans

Postby Gator » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:31 pm

'Busted Pinto Beans

1 lb Dry Pinto Beans
2 Tbl SuckleBusters, Texas Gold Dust, All Purpose Seasoning
1 Ham Hock
1/2 Baking potato sliced in 1/2 inch sections

Soak the beans in water overnight, drain, rinse and put in a Crock Pot. Add the SuckleBusters, ham hock and potato slices. Fill crock with water. I usually cook on high 'til it hits a slow boil, the reduce to low until I'm ready to eat. All told you can put on early in the morning and be done mid-afternoon or easily by dinner. Remove and discard potato before serving.

If'n you want to get fancy - throw in onion, bell pepper, diced tomato, chiles or any type of peppers. Any combo of that stuff makes it mo better. 8)

Serve with corn bread (prefered):
http://bubbabbq.homeunix.net/Recipes/KeriCornbread.html

Or wrapped hot flour tortilias with cheese and hot sauce. Yum. Yum. :D

(Added)
PINTO BEAN SECRET: Take 1 half a large baking potato, slice in 1/2 inch sections. Add to the pot. Remove before serving (whatever you do with it, DONT eat the potato). A smart elderly lady taught me this trick - takes the gas out of the beans...I suppose the starch reacts with it somehow, ? I dunno, but it works. :fart:
Last edited by Gator on Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
puff USER_AVATAR
Puff
Bandolero

Postby Puff » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:55 pm

Oh yeah!! Sounds good Gator 8)
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:07 pm

Now whut the purpose of the spud? My curiousity is running wild here. That generally considered an old Tex-Mex trick to help salvage some frijolles which happen to get themselves a little scorched by accident. Thanks.

bigwheel
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:14 pm

...from another thred:

PINTO BEAN SECRET: Take 1 half a large baking potato, slice in 1/2 sections. Add to the pot. Remove before serving (whatever you do with it, DONT eat the potato). A smart elderly lady taught me this trick - takes the gas out of the beans...I suppose the starch reacts with it somehow, ? I dunno, but it works. :fart:
Gator

bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:26 pm

Well just like all other native Texans of the baby boomer genre I was raised on Pinto beans. We ate em 7 days a week and twice on Sat and Sunday and will assure you putting a raw tater in there aint gonna degas em..which then begs the question of why anybody want to degas em? I mean why would anybody intentionally want to loose the morning pharting contest? Yankees looks at things sorta funny huh? You can buy em books and send em to school and whut do they do? Yeppers..they chew on the book covers.

bigwheel
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:47 pm

:shock: :shock: De-farted beans :shock: :shock:
That's close to a hangin' offense. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:50 pm

BW, I swar it works. :lol: I didnt beleive it neither until I tried it.

Tell ya whut, next time you make beans, chuck a tater in der, lemme know if you win the farting contest afterwards... :fart:
Gator

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:07 pm

What if you don't have a ham hock handy?
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:13 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:What if you don't have a ham hock handy?

I believe you can go to the grocery store and get one. The hock is necessary and imparts most of the flavor. Gator was tellin me he did one with a honey baked ham hock :D
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:39 pm

Next time you smoke a bone-in ham, when you slice it, leave a little meat on the end of the bone. Then freeze it and you will have a ham bone for your next batch of beans. :wink: They keep in the freezer for a long time :D :D That ham bone is also good for a big ole pot of butter beans. :tup:
Jim
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:22 pm

OK, went to the store and got one. I'm assuming they need to be not raw, so I got one that's been cook. Least that's what the packed says. And sliced. darn thing cost 3X what the package of pintos cost :lol:

Fill the crock pot to the top with water? Seems like a lot of water for so few beans.

Ya can tell I don't do this much, cause I ain't had much luck with dry beans. But now that I got "soft" (city) water from the tap thought I'd try once again. Also picked up a can of diced Jalps I thought I toss in along with a little onion.

Oh, 2 racks of St. Louis style going on Einstein tomorrow. One with the wife's favorite rub of mine PRX6.0 (no heat) and one with the bosses new concoction :wink: Some kind of pasta salad will round it out.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
puff USER_AVATAR
Puff
Bandolero

Postby Puff » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:43 pm

Gator.......the potatoe additon works!! :shock: :D
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:25 pm

OSD - You are spot on. I save all my ham bones, freeze 'em and use 'em for beans.

Dats - Fill 'er to the top assuming you have a 5 or 6 quart crock pot. The beans get "bigger" + the juice is great on corn bread.

Puff - I may be nuts, but I think it works too. 8)
Gator

puff USER_AVATAR
Puff
Bandolero

Postby Puff » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:27 pm

Gator wrote:OSD - You are spot on. I save all my ham bones, freeze 'em and use 'em for beans.

Dats - Fill 'er to the top assuming you have a 5 or 6 quart crock pot. The beans get "bigger" + the juice is great on corn bread.

Puff - I may be nuts, but I think it works too. 8)

:shock: Unbelievably :shock:
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:30 pm

If you want to substitute the ham hock - fry 4 - 6 peices of bacon, and add the bacon and about 3 tablespoons of the drippings to the pintos. I usually saute an oinion or bell pepper in the bacon drippings and then add to the crock pot.

Dont forget the tater! :fart:

8)
Last edited by Gator on Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gator

Return to “Sides and Such”