Two Sandwich Recipes

Salads, slaws, veggies, chili, soup, anything you serve with a meal.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Two Sandwich Recipes

Postby Stan41 » Wed May 28, 2008 6:25 pm

From the book "White Trash Cooking"

Potato Chip Sandwich
2 slices bread
potato chips
Mayonaise

Spread the mayo generously across the bread. Pile the potato chips on to one of the slices as high as you can. Then top it with the other slice and mash down until all the potato chips are crushed.
Pardie Tickette says: "Wash it down with a Pepsi, it's some good"

Kitchen Sink Tomato Sandwich
In the peak of the tomato season, chill 1 very large or 2 medium tomatoes that have been vine-ripened and have a good acidy bite to their taste.
Take two slices of bread. Coat them with 1/4 inch of good mayonaise. On one piece of bread, slice the tomato 1/4 inch thick. Salt and pepper that layer. Add another layer of sliced tomato, and again salt and pepper. Place the other piece of bread on top of this, roll up your sleeves, and commence to eat over the kitchen sink while the juice runs down your elbows.

Stan41
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Wed May 28, 2008 7:17 pm

Love a good mater sammie :D :D 8)
Jim
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Wed May 28, 2008 7:39 pm

Well guess a person could skip the pickles on a mater sandwich but a mayo an tater chip sandwich got to have pickles on it. Few strips of fried bacon would hurt them mater any either.

bigwheel
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Postby Stan41 » Wed May 28, 2008 7:50 pm

I've got 104 tomato plants in the garden. Anxious for them to make ripe tomatoes. I love fresh garden tomatoes and eat them two meals a day when they are in season.
Don't care anything for grocery store tomatoes.
Stan
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Thu May 29, 2008 8:05 am

Wow thats a lot of tomaters. We grew about 15 plants a few years back and had em running outta our ears. Wound up blanching..bagging and freezing a bunch to use in soup and stew etc. Just put in cages along the fence line..mulched with straw and squirted em down about once a week with Peters Plant Food. Was not hardly any trouble to grow.

bigwheel
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Postby Stan41 » Thu May 29, 2008 9:38 am

I always plant that many tomatoes. I have lots of Brothers-in-law, Aunts, and other relatives that I like to give tomatoes to. (None of them are around for the planting, weeding, etc. Kind of like the little Red Hen. Remember that story)
We can tomatoes in jars. Home canned tomatoes are good in anything. I even like to take some out of the jar, let them drain, and squash them down on my hamburger. Better than those plastic, Store bought tomatoes.
We make Tomato juice and V-8 juice and can it in jars.
Stan
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Thu May 29, 2008 8:32 pm

Well great job!! Wished I was kin to ya and lived down thataway:)

bigwheel
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Postby Stan41 » Thu May 29, 2008 8:46 pm

Me too. Hope I make a crop. It is pretty dry here, but I water every day. Watering just doesn't take the place of rain though.
One of my late Father's favorite things to eat was: He sliced a plate of fresh garden tomatoes, heated up the left over bacon grease in a skillet and drizzled the grease over the tomato slices.
My opinion: Garden tomatoes need to be eaten at room temperature. Don't ever put them in the refrigerator.
Stan
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu May 29, 2008 9:11 pm

Stan yur after my heart here.......
tarde venientibus ossa....
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Thu May 29, 2008 10:00 pm

Stan41 wrote:Me too. Hope I make a crop. It is pretty dry here, but I water every day. Watering just doesn't take the place of rain though.
One of my late Father's favorite things to eat was: He sliced a plate of fresh garden tomatoes, heated up the left over bacon grease in a skillet and drizzled the grease over the tomato slices.
My opinion: Garden tomatoes need to be eaten at room temperature. Don't ever put them in the refrigerator.
Stan

MMMNNN, that sounds really good, Stan. I could eat a big fat BLT with fresh tomatoes every day. I never put them in the fridge.
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Thu May 29, 2008 10:19 pm

According to Alton Brown of Good Eats fame, when a mater cools to a certian temp, there is a chemical change that occurs that alters, for the worse, the flavor... Therefor, you should never refrigerate maters!
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Thu May 29, 2008 10:31 pm

What do you all do with those small grape tomatoes? I like them room temp, but they seem to really draw the fruit flies!
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope

-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Postby Stan41 » Fri May 30, 2008 10:10 am

Copkid: My tomato growing has evolved to where I only plant Celebrity plants. I planted a couple of sweet 100's (small cherry tomato) a few years back. They made so many of those little tomatoes that I let 90% of them fall off on the ground. Later I was at a Central Market in Austin, Texas and they had sweet 100 tomatoes for $2.59 per pound. By my rough calculations my two plants made $1,800.00 worth of tomatoes that I let fall on the ground.
Stan
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Fri May 30, 2008 10:36 am

Aloha Stan... We planted a couple of "sweet 100s" a few years ago but the wife and I couldn't keep up so we wasted alot. Now we plant a few Romas plus a couple "Early Girls" and we still enough to pass to family and friends.

Have a great Aloha Friday and an awesome weekend. :)

ahui hou,
honu41
rich777 USER_AVATAR
Rich777
Chuck Wagon

Postby Rich777 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:56 pm

I read this post yesterday. And went into the kitchen and made a mator sammie. Nothing better! We have four or five plants going now, just flowering.
There is nothing better than a fresh mator, off the vine, with some salt on top. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM!
a stumpted toe hurts

Return to “Sides and Such”