Gardeners anyone here?

Salads, slaws, veggies, chili, soup, anything you serve with a meal.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Gardeners anyone here?

Postby Russ » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:11 pm

Cut from our garden for dinner last night, fresh cauli and broccoli for a cheese bake last night. Also had carrots and parsnips from our garden. Beans and peas were frozen from last summer. I guess you guys will be picking tomatoes shortly. What else do you grow.?

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: Gardeners anyone here?

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:32 pm

Well I've been picking tomatoes for a couple weeks now but I expect that will end soon too. Temps are in the 90s - 100 and the plants will quit producing.
I don't grow much else have tried other things without much success, onions and garlic over winter nicely but I can't seem to get much size out of them.
I've lived in Texas for 20 years now but still am not used to the climate and creatures armadillos will dig up anything and everything.

Grow lots of flowers though our deck is pretty much covered.
tarde venientibus ossa....
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:18 pm

Papa Tom wrote:Well I've been picking tomatoes for a couple weeks now but I expect that will end soon too. Temps are in the 90s - 100 and the plants will quit producing.
I don't grow much else have tried other things without much success, onions and garlic over winter nicely but I can't seem to get much size out of them.
I've lived in Texas for 20 years now but still am not used to the climate and creatures armadillos will dig up anything and everything.

Any pics Tom?

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:24 pm

Papa Tom wrote:Well I've been picking tomatoes for a couple weeks now but I expect that will end soon too. Temps are in the 90s - 100 and the plants will quit producing.

Put some old school moth balls around the perimeter of where you don't want them, they will stay out.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:46 am

Russ wrote:

Any pics Tom?

Russ

So I'm a bit slow. (and not a good photographer)

Flowers2.jpg
Flowers1.jpg
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:51 am

Got a story to go withe the pics.
In the bottom picture in the lower left of the window is a metal chicken.
We have a roadrunner that comes around courting that chicken he usually brings a gift of a twig or leaf (nesting materials?) and taps on the window for her or sometimes when she doesn't respond he'll go around and tap on the door.
Wish I had a picture of him hilarious to watch.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:22 pm

:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: ain't nuttin betta than Maw Nature's Chillins :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:24 pm

Papa Tom wrote:Got a story to go withe the pics.
In the bottom picture in the lower left of the window is a metal chicken.
We have a roadrunner that comes around courting that chicken he usually brings a gift of a twig or leaf (nesting materials?) and taps on the window for her or sometimes when she doesn't respond he'll go around and tap on the door.
Wish I had a picture of him hilarious to watch.

Funny story Tom. And entertaining as well.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

MartinV
Pilgrim

Postby MartinV » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:13 pm

Russ wrote:Cut from our garden for dinner last night, fresh cauli and broccoli for a cheese bake last night. Also had carrots and parsnips from our garden. Beans and peas were frozen from last summer. I guess you guys will be picking tomatoes shortly. What else do you grow.?

Russ

Super! My mother in law also grows cauli ))) We grow and also often frozen beet (first boil then grate or cut on cubes), garlic and then pickle it (yummi) and some greenery too. As for onion we cut and dry it to then add in soups.

tomato seedlings are almost ready )))
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:43 pm

MartinV wrote:
Russ wrote:Cut from our garden for dinner last night, fresh cauli and broccoli for a cheese bake last night. Also had carrots and parsnips from our garden. Beans and peas were frozen from last summer. I guess you guys will be picking tomatoes shortly. What else do you grow.?

Russ

Super! My mother in law also grows cauli ))) We grow and also often frozen beet (first boil then grate or cut on cubes), garlic and then pickle it (yummi) and some greenery too. As for onion we cut and dry it to then add in soups.

tomato seedlings are almost ready )))

Look forward to pics. We have winter crops in now, cauli, broccoli, sprouts, cabbage green and red. Winter here in a month. We had a good summer Autumn. In fact just made last batch raspberry jam/ jelly yesterday.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

Return to “Sides and Such”