Potato Salad

Salads, slaws, veggies, chili, soup, anything you serve with a meal.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Potato Salad

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Thu May 17, 2018 5:50 pm

I am interested in making a potato salad. I love thee stuff but have never made it before :dont:

How do you guys out there like yours? and are you willing to share your recipe?

I want to try a run at it this weekend, going to smoke a pork butt for some sammies and need a good side.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Potato Salad

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu May 17, 2018 6:59 pm

Good Luck with this Ric :tup: :salut: - - - - I was too lazy to attempt tater salad for the Dinner tomorrow so I bought Southern Style Tater Salad at Krogers.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
dabertl USER_AVATAR
daBertl
Bandolero

Postby daBertl » Thu May 17, 2018 11:58 pm

Do you want a recipt for an bavarian potatoe salad or do you prefere fat salads with mayo and all that stuff?
Extra Bavaria non est vita, et si est vita, non est ita.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri May 18, 2018 6:44 am

Lots of ways to make it and you can make it to suit YOUR taste. I don't believe there is a right way or a wrong way to make it. Some use Irish Potatoes, some Red unpeeled, whatever you like. Some chunky and some blended so smooth you'd think it was instant potatoes. Some use Mustard, some Mayo, some Miracle Whip, YOUR choice or do a combo. Some people use sweet pickle relish, some Dill, whatever you like. Some put in chopped eggs and I'm sure Bert will through you something with Ham or bacon in it.

My point is; once you pick your recipe, tinker with the ingredients and spices you put in there to YOUR taste. It's easy. Anybody with the stash of B&B you have can make a Potato Salad
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Fri May 18, 2018 7:08 am

LOL Thanks Mr. Rambo well said, I do prefer a mustard base but looking for something different and willing to experiment. Been looking on pinterest but thought I'd asked the guys on here to see what came up.

Thanks for the input from those that have posted and hopefully those that will.
red farr USER_AVATAR
Red Farr
Wrangler

Postby Red Farr » Sat May 19, 2018 11:41 am

...one hard boiled egg per potato if you use onion everything will taste like onion.....there're as many recipes as there are cooks.....good luck...
Red
...Blue Skies and Green Lights...
david brace USER_AVATAR
david brace
Wrangler

Postby david brace » Sat May 19, 2018 2:06 pm

I'm not much for making my own potato salad...I just buy the one from the store.

The only changes I make is putting some store-bought jarred hot chopped peppers in it. I think they're called Sandwich Toppers up here.

I like it that way. One way for it to remain mine and have my wife Kathy leave it alone. :laughing7:

I ain't as dumb as I look, y'know...
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sat May 19, 2018 3:23 pm

TwoGuysBBQ wrote:I am interested in making a potato salad. I love thee stuff but have never made it before :dont:

How do you guys out there like yours? and are you willing to share your recipe?

I want to try a run at it this weekend, going to smoke a pork butt for some sammies and need a good side.

I love tater salad. The usual dressing is mayo and a touch of mustard, salt and pepper. Some sour cream, if the mood hits. Adding diced or sliced celery and green onyawn. Maybe a little pickle juice. Or some chopped egg.

To serve two or three people, I nuke small, evenly round potatoes arrayed on a plate. Poke 'em with a toothpick. Cover, microwave for 6-10 minutes, depending. When they are still pretty hot, I put on food gloves and squish them in their skins. Then crumble them hot into the dressing, leaving most of the skins behind. I like yellow or red potatoes for this.

If I need more potatoes I'll boil them, but still leave the skin on and squish/crumble as above.

This is just a method. Dress it however you like, add whatever you like.
Moink!
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:20 am

bump
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:15 am

Here's our latest, decorated with a rib eye steak.

First I mixed the salad 'sauce:' generous dollop of mayo, squirt of yellow mustard, spoonful of MW, and a couple of tablespoons pickle juice. Salt, pepper. Minced celery, parsley, white and green onyawn.

The taters were four medium redskinned, pierced so they don't explode, nuked on a plate until soft enough to squish. Maybe eight minutes, more or less.

This is where the pain comes in. Even with those blue food gloves, hot potatoes HURT. They get crumbled hot, right into the dressing so they absorb some, , then refrigerated. Just before serving, I stirred in a spoonful of yogurt. We don't always do that. You could use sour cream, or leave out the dairy altogether.

Quick, easy, doesn't heat up the kitchen.
Moink!
Bockbock
Cowboy

Postby Bockbock » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:00 pm

If you look up Two Brothers potato salad, you can find the recipe online. I really like it. It has a bite to it.
Bockbock
Dillo Q
dabertl USER_AVATAR
daBertl
Bandolero

Postby daBertl » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:16 pm

The next days I will make a bavarian Potatoe Salad for u. Then u will have a good one, which u never forget :laughing7: :lol:
Extra Bavaria non est vita, et si est vita, non est ita.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:08 pm

Someplace on the forum (years ago) I posted a family German Potato salad recipe that I love.
It is not like daBertl's and really different from American potato salad in that it is served hot and thus is more of a side than a salad.
Some folks avoided it thinking there is raw egg but no the egg is stirred into the hot mix cooking it however it stays a creamy like texture there's no doubt a French name for that process but I ain't French.

OK found it in my notes here ya go:

This is my family version of German potato salad and my favorite of all.
It's easy enough to make the only trick is in the addition of the egg. If the mix is too hot or you stir too slow it will curdle even so it tastes the same. Adding the egg to the mix tends to cool it a bit as the egg cooks in the residual heat.

German Potato Salad

Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes Ready In: 50 Minutes
Yields: 4 servings
INGREDIENTS:
3 cups diced peeled potatoes (red potatoes best)
4-6 slices bacon
1 small onion, diced
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon flour
11/2 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
½ teaspoon celery seed
1 egg whipped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

DIRECTIONS:
1. Place the potatoes into a pot, and fill with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook for about 10 minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork. Drain, and set aside to cool then dice.
2. Place the bacon in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Fry until browned and crisp, turning as needed. Remove from the pan and set aside.
3. Add onion to the bacon grease and cook over medium heat until lightly browned. Add vinegar, water, sugar, flour, celery seed, salt and pepper to the pan. Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
4. Place the egg into a small bowl and beat slightly with a wire whisk. Continue beating while slowly pouring in the vinegar mixture while stirring the mixture.
5 Add the potatoes and parsley fold in to coat. Crumble in half of the bacon.

Transfer to a serving dish. Crumble the remaining bacon over the top, and serve warm with grilled Brats and Beer.
tarde venientibus ossa....
professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:09 pm

SK's Potato Salad was quite good! :chef:
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:27 pm

Papa Tom wrote:Someplace on the forum (years ago) I posted a family German Potato salad recipe that I love.
It is not like daBertl's and really different from American potato salad in that it is served hot and thus is more of a side than a salad.
Some folks avoided it thinking there is raw egg but no the egg is stirred into the hot mix cooking it however it stays a creamy like texture there's no doubt a French name for that process but I ain't French.

OK found it in my notes here ya go:

This is my family version of German potato salad and my favorite of all.
It's easy enough to make the only trick is in the addition of the egg. If the mix is too hot or you stir too slow it will curdle even so it tastes the same. Adding the egg to the mix tends to cool it a bit as the egg cooks in the residual heat.

German Potato Salad

Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes Ready In: 50 Minutes
Yields: 4 servings
INGREDIENTS:
3 cups diced peeled potatoes (red potatoes best)
4-6 slices bacon
1 small onion, diced
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon flour
11/2 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
½ teaspoon celery seed
1 egg whipped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

DIRECTIONS:
1. Place the potatoes into a pot, and fill with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook for about 10 minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork. Drain, and set aside to cool then dice.
2. Place the bacon in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Fry until browned and crisp, turning as needed. Remove from the pan and set aside.
3. Add onion to the bacon grease and cook over medium heat until lightly browned. Add vinegar, water, sugar, flour, celery seed, salt and pepper to the pan. Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
4. Place the egg into a small bowl and beat slightly with a wire whisk. Continue beating while slowly pouring in the vinegar mixture while stirring the mixture.
5 Add the potatoes and parsley fold in to coat. Crumble in half of the bacon.

Transfer to a serving dish. Crumble the remaining bacon over the top, and serve warm with grilled Brats and Beer.

I need to try this!
Moink!

Return to “Sides and Such”