Got doubts bout dis Pepper Jelly

Salads, slaws, veggies, chili, soup, anything you serve with a meal.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Got doubts bout dis Pepper Jelly

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:02 pm

I finally got around to making, or attempting to make, some Pepper Jelly today and, even tho the lids are all "popped" and sealed I'm worried about the true outcome. I haven't done this in almost 15 years but the Recipe is pretty simple, however, the ingredients all rose to the top and that's never happened before. I know that I can stir them down when the jar is opened but now I'm even doubting that it will jell/set/firm. So now I wait until in the morning to see what an open jar reveals. "fingers crossed" :roll: :dont: :scratch:
IMG_0077.JPG

IMG_0078.JPG

IMG_0079.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Got doubts bout dis Pepper Jelly

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:04 pm

If the Jell sets, I'm thinking the next time I'll just puree all the ingredients, add food coloring and be done with it. :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:36 am

Well?
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:40 am

EPIC FAIL on the Jelly

Opened a jar this morning and along with NO "jell" whatsoever - - it was runny, too much sweet pepper in taste and the bits were so crunchy I had to spit them out. :banghead:

So now to dump this for the Trash pickup tomorrow and do some major PONDERING before attempting this again. :whiteflag:

I'm so disappointed that I may just dump jars, jelly, rings and lids and not bother with cleaning them up for future use. :banghead:
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:02 am

Curious. Did you use a wet or a dry pectin? Different pectins (they are essentially just starches) react differently to different sugars as well. I'm willing to bet you used a different type of pectin than what the original recipe called for. The old folks had it down when it came to canning. A lost art in todays world.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:02 am

I think you nailed it, my Friend, this was my first time to use dry pectin (Sure Jell) but I could not find Certo liquid which I've used before - - - OH WELL, I got over my frustration so went ahead and washed the jars, lids and rings but I'll pick up a new box of lids for next time.

?IF? I try another batch in a week or so, I'm using only Jalapenos and I'll puree everything so there is no preserves/jams pieces "only jelly" with some food coloring maybe??? It'll also give me a chance to use that Blender that Sailor/PB turned me onto for the Sooner Sauce. I love playing with that thing. :laughing7:
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:32 am

Em.... We got confidence in you. I'm sure you'll nail it next time :chef:

:cheers:
Bill
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:13 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:I think you nailed it, my Friend, this was my first time to use dry pectin (Sure Jell) but I could not find Certo liquid which I've used before - - - OH WELL, I got over my frustration so went ahead and washed the jars, lids and rings but I'll pick up a new box of lids for next time.

?IF? I try another batch in a week or so, I'm using only Jalapenos and I'll puree everything so there is no preserves/jams pieces "only jelly" with some food coloring maybe??? It'll also give me a chance to use that Blender that Sailor/PB turned me onto for the Sooner Sauce. I love playing with that thing. :laughing7:

Sorry, got busy. I used to have a chart of what types of pectin (heteropolysaccharide) reacted best with what bases. I'll look for it, but I'm sure something can be googled just as easily. The Certo liquid has been my go to for what little I did. Nasty looking stuff, but works. I have no doubt you will come up with something spectacular. If you are anything like me (and you are) you won't let this whip ya. :shock: :shock: :D :D
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:24 pm

Google I did and this is my Plan and "SOON".
https://www.freshpreserving.com/jalapen ... r1247.html

Only question is how in the heck do you measure 12 oz of Jalapenos :?: :dont:
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:34 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Google I did and this is my Plan and "SOON".
https://www.freshpreserving.com/jalapen ... r1247.html

Only question is how in the heck do you measure 12 oz of Jalapenos :?: :dont:

Well, not to be a total A__, but this is the first ingredient: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: You set yourself up for this one buddy

12 oz jalapeño peppers (about 12 med)
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:03 pm

Seems like I never learn - - - - I'm thinking that 1 1/2 cups of chopped penners will be the ticket HOWEVER, they will be with veins but WITHOUT seeds so that may measure 11.75 oz - - give or take a smiggin or so :dont: :laughing7: :D :lol:
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:27 pm

Oup.im having almost exactly what you have setting a gel. Last year I tried to make mint jelly and used gelatine to set it. It was a complete disaster, threw it out. I've been making strawberry jam over the last month and recipes say pectin, my wife and I giggled it and came up with this stuff, she bought 2 packs of it.
image.jpg

I hope this works for me this time. And I hope yours works as well.
You sure your dad didn't visit nz 61 years ago?lol.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:37 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:I think you nailed it, my Friend, this was my first time to use dry pectin (Sure Jell) but I could not find Certo liquid which I've used before - - - OH WELL, I got over my frustration so went ahead and washed the jars, lids and rings but I'll pick up a new box of lids for next time.

OUP - Never re-Use the lids once they've been sealed before.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:45 pm

thanks, Rambo, I always buy new lids when canning new stuff but I appreciate your heads up :tup: :salut:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:49 pm

Russ wrote:Oup.im having almost exactly what you have setting a gel. Last year I tried to make mint jelly and used gelatine to set it. It was a complete disaster, threw it out. I've been making strawberry jam over the last month and recipes say pectin, my wife and I giggled it and came up with this stuff, she bought 2 packs of it.
image.jpg

I hope this works for me this time. And I hope yours works as well.
You sure your dad didn't visit nz 61 years ago?lol.

Russ

Pardnah, I'm holding out for this stuff or NOTHING
https://www.freshpreserving.com/ball-re ... 34053.html
Hope to get it tomorrow and can the Jelly on Saturday - - - that would be Sunday down under :salut:

Return to “Sides and Such”