Fried Own-Yawn Rings a la Tony

Salads, slaws, veggies, chili, soup, anything you serve with a meal.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Fried Own-Yawn Rings a la Tony

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:35 pm

Thought that I'd share this Recipe for French Fried Onion Rings that I ?kinda? got from Tony Chachere's Cajun Cookbook back in the eighties. Any time that I fry onion rings I'm usually frying fish or shrimp also and over the years I have started using the same dry mix for both. However, I don't dip my seafood in the wet dredge, I marinate them in beer prior to frying.

This is my "tweeked recipe" from Tony's Cookbook: :chef:
1 or 2 large onions (Vadalia if you can find'em)
Wet Dredge:
1/2 can Pet Milk
1 egg
mix well
Dry Dredge:
1 cup flour
1 cup corn flour or fish/shrimp fry mix
mix well
Slap-Yo-Mama seasoning to taste
PLEASE NOTE: this Recipe will NOT create a thick batter on your onion rings, only a crispy crunchy crust.

Cut large onion across into slices about 1/2 inch thick. Separate slices into rings, put in a bowl with ice water and put in the frig until you are ready to fry. As Canola Oil is heating remove rings from water and dry on paper towel. Dip chilled rings into Wet Dredge and then into Dry Dredge. Then place gently into preheated Oil and fry until golden brown, turning over half way thru the cook. Remove and place on paper towel - - - salt if needed for taste. I have found that the Slap-Yo-Mama seasoning is enuff salt for our taste.

Footnote: I rarely use a deep fryer for anything because it's only the Wiffy and I so I just put some oil in a large sauce pan about an inch deep and fry the onions, fish or shrimp that way. Always be careful not to burn your oil and the batter cookings during the cook. If you need to wait for any reason, then remove from the burner until you resume the frying. :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “Sides and Such”